Carpet cleaning | FerrariChat

Carpet cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by JIMBO, Sep 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Is there a best way to clean carpets when they are out of the car? Dry cleaning, steam cleaning?
    I had to remove the tan carpets in my 512TR along with the sound reduction padding. Before I put them back in, I want to make them look like new again. Any advice?

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Steam Cleaning, better known as "Hot Water Extraction" method. Typically, the hand wands are used on auto carpets due to their small area and ability to reach into detailed areas effectively. The type of cleaning solution should be a residue free type, no bubbles. The reason is, if soapy residue is left on the carpet to dry, all it will do is attract more soils rendering the cleaning all for nothing.

Stains are forever, spots come out. Most oil spots will come out with a citrus solvent spotter, any gum can be loosened up with citrus solvent. (not that you may have gum in your Ferrari, but if it's an item to be removed, now you know)

3. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Obviously you will need to vacuum the carpet first - but depending on how dirty the carpet is, you would
    1) Use Meguiar's Carpet and Upholestry cleaner
    2) Spot clean with Folex
    3) Since the carpet is already out, maybe give it a good scrub down, and steam cleaning - with the equipment at your disposal. If you don't have one - you can rent a carpet cleaner from home depot - and clean our house & the 512TR carpets .

4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
  5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Thanks to all. Tuff Stuff arrives from Amazon Monday, steam cleaner on loan from a friend. I will let the forum know how it turns out.

RacerX_GTO likes this.
  6. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I second the Tuff Stuff. I vacuumed with shop vac, then liberally applied tuff stuff and after letting it set for 10 minutes I then very lightly brushed with a soft bristle wheel cleaning brush in circular motions. I then used the shop vac again and dried with a terry towel. Cleaned up my 348 to like new. It does leave an cleaning agent odor, however. I would imagine using a very gentle citrus carpet cleaner would help with the odor but I just let it fade away. I use a leather cleaner/conditioner that leaves a very nice leather scent which makes a very nice aroma when getting into the car for weeks.

7. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I saturated the carpets with Tuff Stuff, then used a carpet brush, then a borrowed carpet cleaning machine with a wand (essentially sprays water then sucks it up. I repeated the above once more for each piece and the results are fantastic. Not only are the carpets tan again, they are soft and dried in 12 hours. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Awesome -- looks great!