Manila Sports Car Club - 340 America | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Manila Sports Car Club - 340 America

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by abstamaria, Mar 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    Hello Liscia,

That's very interesting news. Could you tell us what body was on 0144/A when your father was involved with the car?

I've some more questions, could you mail me at [email protected]?

Bert

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I have been absent for such a long time, but now I agreed to do a presentation on the Ysmael Ferrari for the local sports car club’s November meeting, which will celebrate Ferrari’s 70 years. I will have to turn to this forum for help there.

But, first let me tell you what I know so far about 0144A. It seems that Johnny Ysmael did not buy f0144A or himself, but arranged the purchase at the request of his friend Amado Araneta, who also wanted a Ferrari. Here is a photo of Araneta taken in 1964 at his home in Quezon City, a city adjacent to Manila. I do not know if that was the original color.

Andres

3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
  4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
  5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It has been six years since the last post, before this thread was resurrected. I hope that there is still interest in the two “Philippine” 340s and that those who posted here before are all all right and keeping well.

It seems Vignale made five 340 Image Unavailable, Please Login coupes, of which #0132 is one. Were the five coupes identical, except perhaps for minor details? I understand of course that they were hand fabricated, so that they cannot be completely identical.

Regards,

Andres

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    View attachment 2455313 It has been six years since the last post, before this thread was resurrected. I hope that there is still interest in the two “Philippine” 340s and that those who posted here before are all all right and keeping well.

It seems Vignale made five 340 View attachment 2455313 coupes, of which #0132 is one. Were the five coupes identical, except perhaps for minor details? I understand of course that they were hand fabricated, so that they cannot be completely identical.

Regards,

Andres

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    All five were different from each other.
    Check the book "Ferrari by Vignale", published 1993 by Giorgio Nada Editore in Vimodrone (Milan), Italy.
    Author: Yours truly.

Marcel Massini

8. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Ah, thank you, Marcel. I will be looking at the book on Wednesday and am quite excited.

Thank you, and best regards,

Andy

9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
  10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
  11. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
  12. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
  13. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    For a split second there, I thought you had unearthed old photos of #0132 A. It seems to have disappeared after 1955.

Wonderful photos, Ed.

Andres

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
  15. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    It's no secret. The 340 has been owned for many, many years by an architect in SoCal. He knows what he has. Last time I saw it, it was all black, which I prefer to the original scheme.

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Thank you, Ed.

The picture above must have been taken then when the car was already with the current owner. Would you or others be able to tell us when the photo was taken?

I prefer the car in black (which I assume to be the color in the photograph) too and without the bumpers, but then in the early 1950s Vignale favored two-tone schemes, as noted in Marcel‘s wonderful book, and chrome, at least in America, was a popular taste.

Ed, It would be wonderful if current if you were able to provide a more current photo or tell us more about the car.

Best,

Andres

Attached Files:

17. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I have met with the current owner of 0132 several times, in years past. When I first saw the car, the engine was out, and I seem to recall that it had an American V-8, but could be wrong. I wanted to buy the car (of course!), and it may have showed a bit too much as I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from the owner. Since then, he has had the original engine rebuilt and installed, painted it black, and has shown up in public at least once. I'm sure he doesn't want his name known, and I respect that.

18. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Your inquiry piqued my curiosity. A modest amount of searching revealed that the former owner died in 2009. Perhaps that explains why it was shown in public in recent years; maybe by a family member or new owner? In any event, I don't know who owns it now.

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #44 abstamaria, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2017
    Many, many thanks, Ed. The story of 0132A is quite appealing, perhaps because so little is known about it. Johnny Ysmael l am told by his family never got to drive it. He died a week before it was to be shipped to the Philippines. He was 32.

20. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    The picture you show was given to me by the, at that time, current owner. I met him when he was in Holland. As far as I know, and what Ed said, he is no longer with us.

I'm going thrue my letters I have from the conversation about the car with the owner but I can't find anything about the date these photo's where taken.

Some more photo's can be found on my site : http://www.ferrari340america.nl/

21. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Many thanks, Bert. So the photos came from you. Those must be the last photos of 0132A. I'll try to get to you the little I know for your wonderful site. It's great you have taken the trouble to set it up and maintain it.

22. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Bert, all, regarding #0144A, why is there some doubt as to whether the car was originally a barchetta? Is it because the number does not show up in Touring's archives?

Best,

Andy

23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Incredible. That is fantastic, Marcel. I will share with the family. Would you know when those were taken?

Many thanks, and kind regard,

Andres