BICYCLES | Page 30 | FerrariChat

BICYCLES

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Igor Ound, Aug 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

We had a road closure that altered our course to 262 miles.

I was DNF at mile 201 and about 14'000 feet of climbing completed.

The ride started at 0500 with temps in the low 40's. Rain began around mile 90, and it stayed cold. I was dressed correctly and never got the chills, but obviously speeds were down tremendously. At mile 120, we needed to stop for hot food, which was a challenge. At mile 150 I did the mental math that our completion wouldn't be until 11:30pm. At mile 170 my legs were fine. I was never really "exhausted" on the ride, but darkness was looming. I lost confidence in my ability to safely handle the bike on very dark/wet roads, especially knowing there were hours left to go. In one of the worst moments of my short cycling history, I SAG'd out at 201 in the cold rain. The attrition on the full ride was high (9 started, 2 finished). I should have been a finisher, but my heart and head got in the way.

Today is pretty bleak. I let down my friends, and I let down myself. This wasn't about fitness and there's no amount of trainer/roller work that can possibly help me for "next time".

For now, I'm just going to focus on the trainer and try to learn from my failure yesterday. I have a lot of things ahead in 2018 -- Haute Route Asheville (3 day event), another 200-mile ride to the beach, and a host of single-day stuff.

2. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Dan,

You could be injured now or even dead. Then you or family would be wondering why you didnt stop when you knew it was time. Congrats on doing the 200 miles and even attempting such a feat. More so, congrats on being experienced and knowledgeable enough to know when to quit. Congrats on having a family that means enough to you to not risk your health or life. You rock.

e

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Agree, better safe than sorry - seems you made a wise decision instead of taking high risks. Those were tough conditions and you did very well IMO! Congrats - you should be proud on many fronts!

4. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Have to echo that. 200 miles in those conditions is pretty epic in itself, and I think it takes the braver man to step off instead of pushing on regardless.

This will be a great bench mark for future attempts at something like this.

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Finally got my new bike completed :) been months in the making, but ENVE wheels took a loooong time... and PRO handle bar and stem (the Team Sky setup) were back ordered forever.

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Gorgeous! Did you have a chance to weigh it (minus saddle bag and computer) ?

7. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Will do so, after a shorter maiden ride this morning to see if I have everything set up correctly, and if my behind can handle the saddle. Your carbon piece inspired me :) , although this one has a tad of padding, but less than the saddle on my old Gallium Pro.

8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Did a 50 miles ride - bike is awesome, love it. Feels more direct than my old Gallium Pro and very responsive. Stiffer as well, but not uncomfortable. Ride is surprisingly compliant, likely because of 25 tires. It feels faster at higher speeds, likely because of the aero wheels - love them. The Garmin Edge 1030 is a POS - it is struggling to connect to anything, whether pairing with my phone (which succeeded originally but cannot repair), or pairing with Di2. The phone connection is Bluetooth and the Di2 is Ant+. It took forever and a gazillion attempts to get it to connect with Di2, but once done it reconnects to Di2 fine. It is nice not having to look back at the cassette to see gear, but can just look at the Garmin. I am hoping a firmware update will improve the reliability of the Garmin 1030. For the last 6 years I didn't have a single problem with my old Edge 800...

I took off computer and saddle pouch, but left brackets on - bottle cages on too. Weighed it with my bathroom scale - not particular accurate, but 5 times with and without me holding bike gives 15 lbs.

Ricambi America likes this.
  9. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Jes - When I used to have an Edge 1000, it connected on ANT+ all the time without a hitch. Can you disable the BLE on the 1030 and see if it works better? Also, I wonder if you moved it from the stem mount to an 'out front' mount if you'd get better connections. Maybe the Edge 1030 has the antenne on the base, and your stem cap is blocking the signal? The ENVE wheels are surely a huge part of the ride experience you enjoyed today. Is your old Argon going to become a rain bike (oh, it never rains there...) or relegated to the trainer?

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    The old Argon will either replace the current bike on the trainer, or I will leave it in Denmark with family so I can ride it there instead of always having to borrow a bike.

I'll try turn off low energy BT and see if that helps. I did try move it around - no difference. Will play with it some more. Did check that firmware is latest.

11. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Another topic: I was debating which power meter to try. I have SRM on the old Argon, but they are costly and seem to not really renew/develop their technology, so I was looking for other options. I was considering either the new Dura Ace r9100-p power meter crank set, or the new Garmin Vector 3 pedal set, which is now a straight bolt on. Given the greater variety of data provided by the Vector 3 I decided to give it a try - should have a set shortly - they were just released.

Lastly, next year's big goal is https://deathride.com : 129 miles, 15,000' - registered a few weeks back. Daniel, you should sign up and come out west :)

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Jes - I think you'll be really happy with the Vector 3 pedals! I have heard really good things about them (except the initial shipping backlogs). IIRK, they're only running in ANT+ at the moment, and waiting on some kind of BLE certification before they can firmware-activate the bluetooth? Whatever... enjoy!! The Garmin cycling dynamics data is crazy cool, but certainly will take some time to digest and understand. I wish I had your weather to go riding. :( I've been indoors on the trainer & rollers for almost two months.

Deathride! You almost had my attention, expect its the week before a Fondo I'm doing with my little Ricambi Racing team in the NC mountains. The Deathride looks pretty sweet, especially with full highway closures. That takes a big 'risk factor' out of the event, especially with the physical/mental fatigue associated with such a big climbing day in the middle of the summer.

HEY... I've been reluctant to post this but here goes: I went to a lab a few weeks ago for a full VO2 Max and lactate testing protocol. Before I go into too much detail, has anyone here (Ryan? Igor? Michael?) had a similar test? My numbers were surprising to me, and (humbly, I'll admit) caused a bit of a stir in the facility where the testing was performed.

13. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Very easy to be a fair weather rider in Southern California ;) :) It IS nice to know that you can ride every single time it fits your schedule - in winter there can be days with wet, but still not frequent. Yesterday, morning, 7 am, it was chilly, upper 40s - low 50s, but warmed up to 60s :)

14. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    The Edge 1030 seems to have sorted itself. Rode 72 miles this morning, and it connected to everything seamlessly as I powered it on and started moving - not sure what exactly sorted it, but at least for this ride it was as problem free as my Edge 800 has been for the past many years.

I was hoping my Garmin Vector 3 pedals would arrive yesterday, but it looks like Tuesday - very curious to start play with the advanced data they offer with the Garmin software.

Weather was beautiful again with clear blue skies, a bit chilly at 7:30 am, high 40s, but it warmed up a bit, and with proper clothing it was comfortable.

Merry Christmas everyone!

15. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Bah humbug! I did 210k (~133 miles) today with about 2225m climbing (7'300 feet). Our high temperature was 45dF. Even with all the right gear, it's not so much fun. It sucks to work so hard on my body weight and then pile on 5 pounds of neoprene and merino wool !

16. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    LOL!!! Too funny. Regardless, that is serious dedication - nice ride!

17. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Pulled the trigger!

Trek X-Caliber
    800W lights
    Clips
    Shoes
    Helmet
    Pants

I can’t wait for spring!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Daniel, you were right, love the Vector 3 pedals :) Been riding them for a few weeks now - provide so much more info than the SRM, and also the new Shimano Dura Ace power meter crank - which was my main reason for going with the Vector 3 pedals. I had set up an email alert with a vendor for stock, and ordered the minute I received the email - had them Dec 26th. The Edge 1030 connectivity is more stable, but still a bit finicky, at least compared to my old Edge 800, but once all sensors are connected they remain connected for the ride. Had a Di2 mishap early on - locked up at mile 75 of 82, in the 3rd heaviest gear... bah... It appears related to the Di2 Bluetooth module, but after updating firmware on it, it has been as stable as my old Dura Ace 7900 Di2. BTW, every single component in the new Di2 has firmware, updated all to the latest. Would never have thought the day would come where my bicycle would be loaded with firmware...

19. jackjohn

jackjohn Rookie

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    louisjohnjack
    Bianchi is good.
    I love this can you post how much does one unit costs?

20. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Any thoughts on current gen Roubaix vs. Domane?

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry Daniel, I've been preoccupied with other matters of various sorts lately.

I haven't done a full VO2 max before as I've never ever trained hard enough to make it worthwhile. I was in my 20s and just wanted to enjoy racing. To be honest, while I am reasonably fit I do not possess any remarkable athletic ability. The only VO2 max testing I had was after my psycho renovator nearly poisoned me with cement dust during a home renovation. Luckily, I seem to have survived unscathed.:rolleyes:

At any rate, please do tell us how you made out with your numbers. I have known a few gifted athletes and they did have crazy VO2 max numbers. Judging by how quickly you advanced in cycling I would not be surprised if you are naturally gifted as well.

22. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Michael -

The VO2 Max was 68 ml O2/kg/min. According to the lab (now, remember I'm in a fairly small area in central North Carolina) they had only tested one person higher and that was a pro-cyclist who was here for the UCI 1.1 event. Obviously world tour riders are well into the 70's and above. I don't know how a pro crit rider would test. With all the VO2 max training in the world, I doubt I'd crack 70 simply because of my age.

With the data, I now know approximately what my caloric intake should be, based HR thresholds, per hour. That is a huge bonus for me, as I traditionally under-eat on the bike. I hope this knowledge will smooth out my power curve on ride >4 hours.

Unfortunately I've lost a bit more weight since all the body scanning stuff. I need to get a better handle on why I'm losing weight during the winter training months. I understand that my training load (TSS) is very high right now, but I thought I was offsetting it with enough extra calories. I suspect my macronutrients are somehow whacked, but I'm not clever enough to figure it out. At the time of the test, they used a crazy body scanning system to assess my body size/shape/fat/weight. I was 5% body fat (when I was 143#). I'm now <140#, so I assume the BF number has shifted a little bit.

And did I mention that I hate winter? I haven't been on the road all month. I hate the cold; I hate the dark. :(

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm no longer crazy about Winter these days... getting old. When I was young I used to look forward to Winter because where I was living I could go skiing with very little fuss. But with cycling to and fro work for you, I can see how the cold and dark can be a drag.

OTOH, you certainly do have remarkable physique. I'm meeting a buddy for lunch "later today" (I go to bed like around 2 or 3 am). He's one of the guys from my school days who had amazing VO2 max. He's a big guy but has amazing lungs; great runner and Nordic skier. Not bad on the bike but he never got serious cycling. I'll see if he remembers his numbers.

If you're losing weight while training in the Winter, I'm guessing you are burning more fat, not replenishing. You might want to keep an eye on your diet as it may need to be adjusted for the change in season. Do you know a good sports dietitian? If you want to increase your weight it's easy. Have sweet deserts late in the evening. It will convert to fat. But first make sure your diet is balanced for Winter training. I was on the Nordic Ski team in university, we would eat pasta and chicken... and free butter, bread the day before races. Restaurants hated us. :D Some of those races were 50 to 100 km long. One race we were in we had to mass start from the banks of a particularly large frozen lake where it was already -35°C without wind chill. -50°C with wind chill. We had to race each other across the frozen lake and there was no cover as the wind blew over open ice. There was no sun that day, a bit of a nightmare. Everything including your joints, creaked. Wax/klister no longer worked. It was still fun though, so long as you didn't lose any toes, fingers, ear lobes or the tip of your nose. I nearly lost the skin off my cheekbones. :D Daniel, if you live close enough to ski resorts you could do very well on skis, once you get the technique. Up here, a lot of good cyclists also race Nordic Ski. It makes Winter less of a chore, especially if you love to train. Nothing beats flying through quiet beautiful frozen woodland on your skis. You really feel one with Nature. Watch the ski races in the upcoming Winter Olympics.

Well, if you're still doing long endurance workouts you should start eating energy bars immediately as you begin your ride. As usual, eat regularly in small quantities on the bike. What are you taking for recovery macronutrients? Keep a close eye on your heart rate and see how well you are recovering from workouts... or if you are truly recovering completely between workouts. Your appetite will usually tell you what kind of state your body is in.

24. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Would love to learn! I have always heard Nordic skiers (the good ones) need super-strong VO2. I used to nordic ski when I was a teenager in the midwest. We'd go out to a local golf course and basically run the full 18-holes on our skinnies. But t/b/h, there just was never enough snow to make a full "season" of it. Your note about of freezing exposed skin and extremities is enough the remind me why I hate everything about winter.

My 'breakfast' (usually around 3:30 or 4:00am) is black coffee and a small bowl of plain oatmeal. I get on the bike around 5:00am for a 60-90 minute session. As the equipment is all starting up/booting I have 1 PowerBar (~220 cal, 40g carbs). After the workout, I usually have either 1 cup plain greek yogurt (~10g protein) or a Quest Energy bar (~20g protein) depending on the intensity of the session. Traditionally my 'sweets' are things like grapes, oranges, and other fruits which just satisfy the need for sugar-tasting stuff, but without fats. Meals are generally lower fat things, but lots of protein and calorie-dense "real" foods.

I'd keep typing... but a super chillax Friday morning on the rollers awaits!

25. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's great that you are already familiar with Nordic skiing.

I understand the misery possible with Nordic skiing but you had regular clothing (or skinnies) on and it would actually cause you to get cold as it wouldn't have controlled your body temperature properly. Performance clothing would have kept you warm and dry - the beautiful aspect of the skiing experience is that you are able to make abundant heat... and use it to good effect. It's magical when it is -15°C and you manage to feel as comfortable as you are in your living room. You see clouds of steam come off your body when you slow down enough as you proceed along the course. I would feel too hot at times (when warmer than -10°C) and sweat would pour down my brow. It is a great way to burn calories. BTW, Bjørne Dæhlie, a retired skier from the late 90s had a VO2 max of 96.

Here are my calculations. A "good" bike workout for 60-90 minutes = 1,000 - 2,000 calories depending on how hard you ride, the pace you maintain and how much climbing you do. 1 cup of oatmeal = 300 cal. + 220 cal PowerBar + 1 cup yogurt (150 cal.) + Quest bar (70 cal.). Do the math and you get a deficit of 250 - 1250 cal. every time you do this sort of ride and feeding, assuming you eat other food to supply energy to maintain your normal daily bodily functions. 1 gram of fat = 9 cal. so that means if the energy deficit is taken up by only burning fat you would lose 28 gm - 139 gm (0.064 lb. to 0.3 lb) of fat from every ride. If you train 4 times a week like that, you would lose about 0.25 lb. to 1.2 lb a week in pure fat.

Since your body will actually burn off glycogen stores for the first 20-30 minutes, these fat loss numbers are inflated by ~30% and so you would also burn about 0.16 lb. to 0.8 lb. of glycogen a week but there would be no weight loss from glycogen as it would normally be replenished.

This is purely theoretical but it should be in the ballpark although I haven't taken the effects of cold weather on energy consumption.

As I'm sure you know, the caffeine in the black coffee actually increases the utilization of fat as energy source when you bike. Since you ride in the morning you will have no left over starting food source in your digestive system aside from your "breakfast".

I don't like rollers as they force me to centre my strokes when I don't actually do that on the road. I prefer my KICKR. ;)