Last carb'd 308? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Last carb'd 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by kerrari, Dec 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Very interesting for us anoraks...you have whetted our appetite!
    two immediate questions spring to mind...
    - is your car RHD?
    - would you be kind enough to answer with the full VIN, or at least the chassis number (last five figures).

Rgds

2. Motoman

Motoman Rookie

Oct 26, 2017
    Nerofer,

I just started a new thread with more info and the serial number. I appreciate any info! I am very curious about this!

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    There was always overlap in the production line. A carbed car being built next to an injected car was not unusual at Ferrari then. Probably even now but to a lesser degree.

4. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    #129 TripleBlack, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Very interesting, I am going to post in the other thread.

5. RED HEAD

RED HEAD Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    H
    I have 34329 and the car was delivered on 10/03/1981 to Maranello Concessionaires, Egham. Right hand drive, carb. Originally Azzuro/dark blue hide she is now red with light tan, having been changed to red very early on.

6. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    One of the last GTB for sure, there are few others here on the forum.
    Would you mind giving the assembly sequence number, I don't have much information about the end of the RHD sequence cars. You can use PM if you prefer.
    You should have also an engine number around 1700 is that right ?
    One more question, are you using the english style for the delivery date, means the 3rd of October 1981 ?

7. RED HEAD

RED HEAD Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    H
    #132 RED HEAD, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'll have to check on these details and send you a PM as I'm not near the history file and car is now in store for winter...... Date is 10th March 1981. My car was spec'd with wide wheels and the cars after this seemed to be fitted with the TRX alongside the i models. Here she is after her nearly completed and superb 18 month restoration by the Ferrari Centre just before Spring this year.

8. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Waouh
    I will wait for your PM !

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Very nice work indeed!

Yes your car had the TRX for sure (or the 16" option), like my 34465: TRX and 16" were the only two possibilities when our cars were produced (in late 1980). My one was registered on January 8, 1981

Our cars are called "the postproduction carbed cars", as they were produced after that the "i" model production already started. I would like to see a picture of the steering wheel and the cigarette lighter too.

If you want, you can complete your restore by putting on the correct single tip exhaust and the correct TRX wheels (the rims are cheap, but the tires are not...) or the 16" option wheels

Congrats for the car and the professional restore!

ciao

10. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Alberto, for the injected car, the 14" (wide or not) were still proposed as an option for the wheel.

The RED HEAD car is a RHD so it has still the aluminium Momo but with the GT4 shape. It is a special fitment from the first quarter of 1978. At the same time, there is no more cigarette lighter from May 1979, it is a cigare lighter.

It is true that all what you called "post production" carbureted 308 are really interesting to scout, but especially the RHD's....

11. RED HEAD

RED HEAD Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    H
    Thanks Alberto and Triple Black. My car was ordered from new with wide wheels not the TRX, I know this as I have the original order form with the paperwork and can see the few cars immediately ordered before and after it. Very interesting about the steering wheel and indeed she has the aluminium GT4 wheel fixed. I am sure it had the single exhaust originally and you can see the cut out in the bumper but personally I prefer the look of the quad set up. I debated about restoring the car to original colour/interior spec but went with what 'I would have ordered from new' if I'd had the chance at the time. Here is a shot of the interior just before the final snagging was done (including replacing the missing horse on the centre tunnel and ignition surroundl!). I am sure the cigarette lighter is not original but a modern version (albeit one that doesn't look out of place). The Brico was dropped by this date of production I think. After much searching I have an original set of 16' wheels in store in case I want to fit them but I really like the look of the 14' and enjoying them for now. I really love this car - even more than the 77 model I used to have......

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I have to say that you are still learning every day about this cars. Here in Italy the TRX were a forced option in late 1980 on the i cars: I' don't know anything about the foreign markets, of course, and even less about the RHD cars. Thank you very much for teaching me that.

ciao

Great looking interiors indeed. As for the lighter, postoproduction carbed cars had the "i" cigar lighter, i cannot see very well your one but maybe it's original

ciao

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

that's the original cigar lighter I have, confirmed by Classiche and the former owners-

(picture taken before the car restore, the extra switch has been removed and the A/C plate changed)

14. RED HEAD

RED HEAD Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    H
    Yes that one looks spot on

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    34377 - 34379 - 34389 - 34465- 34503

Those are (all and only) the five postproduction carbed 308 GTB, after the 34349 that is usually indicated as final 308 GTB car.

From an official Ferrari letter (May 4, 2000) courtesy of Martin Naegele

ciao

16. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    If I may, I have one more GTB chassis number 35937:

http://www.classicferrariparts.co.uk/shop/ferrari-308-complete-pouch-set/

What do you think Alberto ?

For RED HEAD, I have one question about your console.
    You seem not having the passenger heat lever (which is under the brake lever, almost in the center) or did you take away the choke and put that lever instead ?

17. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    My USA Sept/1980 308GTSI is #33553 and is FI not carb.

18. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    It is an US market 308.
    Injected cars had been made by the factory for this market since march 80 but as the same period, carbureted model were still produced for European market until November 80 for 34503 or February 81 for the chassis 35937.

19. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Thanks for that!

20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  21. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  22. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    I agree with you, it seems very strange that this warranty card are proposed with the carbureted manual.
    I send him a mail right away and will let you know.

23. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    At the same time, when you looked carefully at the image 19, you can see that they described the carbureted model maintenance. I don't have any injected warranty card with me to compare.
    I really don't know what to think, hope Tony Willis could help.

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    My opinion is (it's on opinion and no more, please pay attention to this): that pouch set has a wrong user manual and 35937 is an injected car.

The warranty book color is correct, but not the user manual

ciao

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Ferrari officially wrote that the last carbed 308 GTB is 34503, the last of the five "post production GTB": it's a fact, I have a copy of the letter.

ciao