Taken Off Market - 1998 Ferrari F355 Factory Challenge “Type A - Evoluzione” - 1 of 40 in the world | FerrariChat

Taken Off Market 1998 Ferrari F355 Factory Challenge “Type A - Evoluzione” - 1 of 40 in the world

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Robb, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    1998 Ferrari F355 Challenge “Evoluzione”
    Serial Number – 111869

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Specifications

1998 Ferrari F355 Challenge – Factory Challenge “Type A - Evoluzione” - 1 of 40 in the world
    6-Speed Gated Manual Transmission
    Original Color – Blue Pozzi
    Double Orange Stripes added later
    later Painted Nero with Double Silver Stripes
    VIN – ZFFXR41A0W0111869
    11,874 Miles

Pros

It's one of the most heavily, and famously, sponsored Ferrari F355 Challenge Cars in the North American Series. It's sponsors included:
    • Discovery Channel – John Hendricks
    • Speedvision – Roger Werner – became Speed Channel then Fox Sports
    • STARZ!, BET, Encore Media, Showtime, The Movie Channel – John Sie
    • Commscope – Frank Drendel - designs and builds the connectivity for many of the world's most advanced cable and internet networks.
    • General Instrument - specializing in semiconductors and cable television equipment – past CEO was Donald Rumsfeld… / Acquired by Google then Arris
    • Antec – John Egan - pioneered development of optical products for the cable television industry / Acquired Nortel then changed name to Arris
    1. Original owner / driver was Tim Robertson – The Family Channel CEO, Co-founder of Major League Lacrosse, and son of evangelist minister and presidential candidate Pat Robertson
    2. Car is a factory built Challenge Car and is one of 40 Final Evoluzione versions - authentically restored with all original parts and correct livery.
    3. Fully documented race history, maintenance and ownership history.
    4. Very well maintained example – It has a new gas tank and all new fuel lines – those two simple items should tell you plenty on it's current condition and caretakers.
    5. Lower mileage example
    6. No Check Engine Lights. No Slowdown Lights.
    7. Honest, knowledgable Seller, and regular on Ferrarichat.com with multiple F355 in the same garage

Car has the following Upgrades
    1. Steel Valve Guides
    2. Factory Challenge Exhaust (designed similarly to a Tubi) - including original Challenge Exhust (the straight-pipe loud one)
    3. Fabspeed straight pipes without bypass valve
    4. All Plastic Parts (that are known to get sticky) have been refinished and restored with lazer-etched , proper graphics by Sticky RX.
    Cons
    1. Minor rock chips on nose and 2” crack on front bumper
    2. Typical buttress cracks seen on all F355 berlinettas
    3. Undertray fiberglass has some chips from track curbing
    4. Leather pulling on dash pod
    5. Crack in windshield under passenger wiper blade area / Rear Window is Plexi – some might call that a pro.
    Detailed Maintenance History
    1. Rebuilt Engine on new block from FNA - Ferrari of Atlanta
    2. Rebuilt Gearbox – March 1999 – Ferrari of Atlanta
    3. Replace Clutch and Flywheel – June 1999 – Ferrari of Atlanta
    4. Replace Windshield – October 2002 – Ferrari of Atlanta
    5. Engine Out / Belts – April 2005 – Lake Forest Sportscars
    6. Engine Out / Belts – December 2009 – Lake Forest Sportscars
    7. Brake Rotors / Pads – January 2011 – Lake Forest Sportscars
    8. Replaced all Fuel lines / hoses / gas tank – January 2012 – Lake Forest Sportscars
    9. Engine Out / Belts – February 2015 – Lake Forest Sportscars

Ownership History

1. Tim Robertson – Virginia Beach, Virginia – Feb 1998 thru March 2001, Media CEO and son of evangelist minister and presidential candidate Pat Robertson, also owner of Ferrari 550 Maranello and Ferrari 360 Challenge raced in the series
    2. Bob Mayer – Atlanta, Georgia – March 2001 thru May 2003, raced in the SCCA Atlanta T1 series, owner of Ferrari F355 berlinetta
    3. Gary Kachadurian – Chicago, Illinois – May 2003 thru Sept 2004, real estate magnet - multiple Ferrari owner including 512tr, F355 berlinetta and others
    4. Ken Griffin – Chicago, Illinois – Sept 2004 thru February 2015, CEO of global investment firm “Citadel”, multiple Ferrari owner including LaFerrari, Enzo, etc…
    5. Robb Williamson and his brother – February 2015 to Present –Corporate Location Photographer and Doctor, owners of other Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, Ferrari F355 GTS, Ferrari 328 GTS.
    Additional Items Included
    1. OEM Speedline Challenge Rims in silver – Extra spare Set for additional slicks or rain tires
    2. OEM Leather owner's pouch with all books, manuals, and papers
    3. OEM Challenge Rules and Regulation booklets for 1998 and 1999 seasons
    4. One OEM Key and One aftermarket copy
    5. Two OEM A.E. Lorioli keychain – 1998
    6. Original Leather Key Fob from Foreign Cars Italia
    7. OEM steering wheel cover, two seat covers, and red nylon carry bag – aftermarket car cover to fit over wing
    8. OEM emergency service light
    9. OEM Leather stereo blank plate installed in car
    10. Original History Monograph with all complete race records and team paperwork
    11. Original Team crew Shirt from Race Team
    12. Original T-Shirt from Race Team
    13. OEM F355 Leather tool case – missing tools, and trays
    14. Binder with Hard Copies of all maintenance service records
    15. B&W Copy of MSO (Manufacturer Statement of Origin - Certificate of Origin of Vehicle)
    16. USB thumb drive with digital copies of all history and records
    17. IN-car video of training sessions
    18. Digital copy of Montreal Challenge Race in 1998 with letter documentation
    19. Historic Photos of car racing in Ferrari Challenge series
    20. Current Photos of Car on track

308 GTB, eyeman1234 and ShineKen like this.
  2. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Conclusion

You will find very few Ferrari Challenge cars anywhere in the world more complete. Few F355 Challenge cars come up for sale in a year. When you see one, look closely for what it is “not” coming with. Look at all the parts that are not original or what it is missing. Many of the cars ran in the SCCA racing and lost much originality with changes to the car. Then look to see if it looks like rats have made it home with owners that just did not care and was put away very wet. You will find many challenge cars in this condition. It will take quite a lot of money to bring them back and that is just the aesthetics. We have seen other challenge cars on the track with mechanical difficulties due to lack of use and owner neglect. I'd think most buying a Ferrari for the track would love it to run like an industrial sewing machine – one that just purs and goes and goes, and goes without issues. If a car is missing parts – they are likely to never be seen again. Then there is the question about it's sponsorship. Was it sponsored by a local dentist or did it have backing like The Discovery Channel, Speedvision, and major Cable Entertainment Channels? It would seem that the latter is likely to look great anywhere and will continue to hold interest and demand throughout the future. Does the car have interesting history more than what place it finished or is there no clue as to it's original driver and their story of how they got involved in the series?

So if you are looking for a complete car and one that you can proudly put in your collection, look no further. We started with a good Ferrari – it is now a great Ferrari. It's now up to the new owner to pick and choose how to enjoy. The sky is the limit.

Why am I selling this car?

My brother and I bought this car together to restore and research so that it would be as complete as possible at the end of the process. We would then have a very rare car that was built at the Ferrari Factory specifically dedicated to the track. This car made us better driver's in our other F355's and showed us how good a Ferrari could be without compromises for the road and creature comforts. We succeeded in finding one of the rarest versions of the car and one of the most fun on the track. You can find two stories about the car and our pursuits on the Petrolicious site. My brother has since had a change of heart about having a dedicated track car and would like to add another street car to his garage. So I reluctantly have to sell based on our agreement. But the experience was great and I can feel a sense of pride and accomplishment on the work, driving experience, and the preservation of the Ferrari Challenge History that could be lost without this time and effort.

Pricing

F355 Challenge car values seem to float between $100 to 130k for a car without history or if missing many original challenge parts like seats, the roll cage, brakes, etc – or one that looks like it has sat with the rats and was put away wet. There is a huge difference between the lower priced cars and the higher priced cars. There is also a difference in value for the Factory Challenge cars and Evolutione cars which are rarer in number. The nice cars have been sold for as high as $225,000 to collectors in Europe in recent history. At the recent auction in Maranello, there were very high prices set for Ferrari Challenge and race cars. A Maserati Trofeo race car also recently sold for a record amount. So I would think that in the future, the demand for these rare cars and values should continue to increase.

This car is priced at $185,000 based on completeness of records, parts, and famous corporate sponsorship. The car comes with a B&W copy of the MSO which may enable a collector to register the car for street driving – although it is definitely better suited on track with its precise, and tight suspension, lower ground clearance, and other track focused features. It shines on the track and will leave even much newer street Ferrari's in the dust there. The car is sold with a Bill of Sale without Title because it is a Race Car currently for off-road use only. I am also open to discussing trades of other Ferrari's, challenge cars or interesting exotics. I have recently sold another one of our F355 to a new collector in San Francisco with a very smooth transaction as we shuffle around our garage.

You can find that sale to review here:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/fs-1995-ferrari-f355-berlinetta-very-complete-car.562482/

Give me a call to discuss your thoughts anytime.

If you are a collector or track driver and want a Ferrari Challenge car with unique history and fame, then look no further and just enjoy. Contact me for further information.

Robb Williamson
    303-883-8359
    [email protected]

eyeman1234, crinoid and NürScud like this.
  3. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Full Race History

1998 Ferrari Challenge Season

Tim Robertson - # 91

April 25-26 – Homestead, FL

Race One – 15th

Race Two – 15th

Endurance Challenge - 5th

May 9-10, 1998 – Texas World Speedway, TX

Race One – 18th

June 5-7, 1998 - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Race One – 18th

June 26-27, 1998 – Lime Rock Park, CT

Race One - 16th

Race Two – 14th

Endurance Challenge – 14th

August 1-2, 1998 – Road Atlanta, GA

Race One – DNS

Race Two – DNS

Endurance Race – DNS

Septmber 19-20, 1998 - Pikes Peak International Raceway, CO

Race One – DNS

Race Two - DNS

Endurance Race - DNS

November 7-8, 1998 - Imola, Italy

Did not attend

1998 Season Final Drivers Standings – 21st with 260 points

1998 Season Endurance Challenge Championship – 16th

1999 Ferrari Challenge Season

Tim Robertson - # 91 – Ferrari of Atlanta

Phoenix, AZ

Race One – 10th

Race Two – 10th

Endurance Race - 5th

March 5-7, 1999 – Willow Springs, CA

Race One – 16th

March 19-21, 1999 – Sebring FL

Race One – 12th

April 16-18, 1999 – Homestead, FL

Race One - 14th

Race Two – 10th

Endurance Race – 9th

June 25-27, 1999 Lime Rock Park, CT

Race One – 20th

Race Two – 18th

Endurance Race – 6th – Tim Robertson / Matt Drendel

August 6-8, 1999 – Road Atlanta, GA

Race One – 11th

Race Two – 9th

Endurance Race – 6th

October 9-10, 1999 – Laguna Seca, Salinas, CA

Race One – 22nd

November 5-7, 1999 – Vallelunga, Rome, Italy

Did not attend

December 3-5, 1999 – Homestead, Florida

Challenge Enduro 6-hour race – Tim Robertson raced in the # 77 car with Jim McCormick, Sandy Reddin, and Allie Ash – 4th

1999 Season Final Drivers Standings – 9th

1999 Season Endurance Challenge Championship – 3rd

1999 Season Dealer Championship – 4th

1999 Season Dealer Endurance Championship – 2nd

2000 Ferrari Challenge Season

Tim Robertson - # 16

May 19, 2000 – Road Atlanta, GA

Race One – 8th

Race Two – 5th

Joe Masessa / Michael Louli / Philip Shearer - # 16 – Ferrari of Atlanta

29 Nov -3 Dec, 2000 - Homestead, FL

Challenge Enduro 6-hour race / race concluded early for safety concerns with 17 360's and 5 F355's - 12th overall

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nice add, Robb :)

Robb likes this.
  5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Fantastic. Love the resto thread.

Robb likes this.
  6. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It is a beauty!

Robb likes this.
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  9. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What can one say? Maybe: WOW!

Robb likes this.
  10. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Awesome car! GLWS!

Robb likes this.
  11. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    One of the best...

NürScud and Robb like this.
  12. BrianNYC14

BrianNYC14 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Brian E
    Incredible car Robb, so nice.

Robb likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    oh great, you just had to show picture ahead of my car! ;) just kidding, I wish you the best with sale! out of all Ferrari models I would give the 355 Challenge one of the most investment potentials. not just because I own one, but because they aren't a mass produced common model and they aren't a vintage car that already had mass appreciation in value. There are less 355 Challenge cars than each 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, or La Ferrari and most 355 Challenge cars have race history like ours. 80's cars (BB's, TR's, 308/328's) have already had a big appreciation increase, I think 00's will be next and the 355 Challenge will be one of the rarest with most unique history.

f355930, Robb and Ferrari 308 Vetro like this.
  14. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Fantastic car and even better representation - GLWS

Robb likes this.
  15. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Let's see what the two Auction cars in Paris, Bonhams and RM will bring.

Robs car is amazing, good luck ;-)

Robb likes this.
  16. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A shame these aren’t streetable.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    titled cars like mine are steetable, but doesn't make much sense except for committing to very close local shows. by the time you modified it to be steetable then you have removed what makes it a Challenge!

18. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #18 cnpapa24, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Right - I meant streetable as is, except tires of course. What makes yours able to receive title vs this car?

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    most 355's were street cars before receiving the factory challenge kit at dealer. from 360 on they were all factory no title or VIN, so 355 Challenge last to be capable of street.

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Got it, thanks.

21. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    It has been one crazy year with getting the new garage built and outfitted, personal time off with the family when possible and with more work than I had time for... I have not been in a hurry to see the car go and have not had any time to focus on this endeavor.

So now that I finally get to enjoy a winter break, I can dedicate time to finding the challenge car a proper, new home. I’ll be listing the car in multiple places.

I have one interested party who works in Asia and Europe who is waiting on his firm’s year-end forecasts before committing. That being said, I think the right driver will be picking the car up this season. So if you’ve been on the fence, give me a call.

Will consider other Ferrari’s or exotics for a trade as well. My brother is set on adding a Mercedes SLS, so maybe if you have grown bored of one of those or other more ordinary Sports cars you might be ready for a golden ticket to a real track Ferrari. This is a very unique car.

Please contact me with any questions.

Robb
    [email protected]
    303-883-8359

Makuono, ShineKen, mathewr and 5 others like this.
  22. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    One of the best driving machines Ferrari ever made. If your a student of driving this is what you NEED :)

mclaudio and Robb like this.
  23. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Wow nice garage!

mathewr and Robb like this.
  24. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    From the race track to the showroom(or garage.)

These are very unique cars...

Will have the challenge car up on the lift for some general work this weekend.

Robb

25. CharlieFee

CharlieFee Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charlie Fee
    I would have bought it but I don't buy cars formerly owned by magnets. Too much static involved in the transaction.

Automoblog likes this.