Unusual 365 GT4 2+2 | FerrariChat

Unusual 365 GT4 2+2

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by MXADS911, Oct 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MXADS911

MXADS911 Rookie

Oct 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    Adam Dobbie
    Hi,
    I recently come across a 365 GT4 2+2 that was fitted with some very unusual options. Such as wheels, rear air con, cockpit roof mount radio, 0001 engine number etc.

The car was delivered new from Achilli Motors to the UAE and believed to be owned by the Al Thani family. Who would be the best person to speak to about cars that went to the UAE?

Thanks in advance

2. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Interesting! According to Marcel Massini, Achilli Motors did many deals with Ayache, the Lebanese Ferrari importer, during the 1970s and early 80s, so there is definitely a Middle East connection. Marcel adds that many of the cars that Achilli supplied to Ayache never left Italy, and I wonder if this was also the case for the car you mention.

Yours could have been a factory development car (which explains the 400i engine 0001 and the rear air con, wheels etc), or otherwise modified to 400i spec in c.1980-1982 and the first injected engine just happened to be available.

Achilli Motors were a Lamborghini dealer and known to have fitted roof mounted stereos to Countaches.

3. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    David,

Do you think it likely that a 365 had a 400i engine fitted originally, Maybe a 400 carby, but perhaps an "i" is a bridge too far?

WM

4. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Interesting - #18415 is not particularly close to the last of the 365's so it seems unlikely to have had a 400/400i engine as original - The last 365 was after #19122.

(The fitted wheels look like 16" Compomotive 3 piece)

Caveat Emptor

WM

5. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Looks like it has some version of the late 1970's Panasonic roof mounted car stereos. Nicely done though with correct leather and stitching and quite fitting in fact. Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    No, having examined the penultimate 365 produced - which has a 365 engine number - I don't believe any 400 type modifications were made to the last of the 365s (except perhaps the fitting of a Vitaloni Tornado electric mirror to the last of the 365s sold in Italy).

Having done some more digging, according to the Italian registration authorities, 18415 is registered as a 400 GTi and was first sold in 1980. So the factory could have used it for testing purposes from its date of manufacture in 1975 to 1980 - and presumably after the factory didn't have any further use for it, it was then retrimmed, fitted with the Panasonic roof stereo by Achilli Motors and then sold (to the Al Thani family). This is just a theory, however.

7. MXADS911

MXADS911 Rookie

Oct 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    Adam Dobbie
    It makes sense to me that it was a Development vehicle because of the all the unusual options fitted to the vehicle?? Such as wheels, aircon, trim etc it started life as a 365. Was the vehicle still owned by Ferrari when it was featured in the magazines?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    If the theory holds up, it makes for an interesting history.
    WM

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  9. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Apart from the engine number it looks like a 365 chassis found out the back and given the current 400i body & bits then sold.
    If it was a mule you would think the rear light panel would have evidence of 3 tail lights converted to two. The 308 lights would have been available but very unlikely a pressing for the light panel unless it was manufactured/ altered post 400 production. Maybe it went through the iteration of having a 365/400 carb engine before being sold with the latest 400i engine and other bits in 1980.

It is all very interesting but in the end it is a LHD 400i auto with metric wheels to look at and drive.

I hope it is a prototype and that you clean it up, keep it and cherish it Adam.

10. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    RHD manuals are looking good!

11. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Am I missing something here.

There are no pics of engine,gearbox('cos if it's a 365 it'll one of those and not an auto trans),bolt on wheels?,no pic of the rear end(tailights),dashboard,front valance.....have I left anything out??

^^^^ Wayne,my 365 must be worth 2X this thing.

GLWS.....

12. MXADS911

MXADS911 Rookie

Oct 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    Adam Dobbie
    Hi Simon,

Did you read the description in the ebay link?
    It should answer your questions

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Still don't understand why it's not named 400...

14. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Everything on it except chassis is 400iA (from photos) but all that is stated is that it's a 365, hopefully the high bidder has all the info or he may be surprised.
    GLWS
    makes the green 365 GT4 at old timers for 125K seem a bargain.

15. MXADS911

MXADS911 Rookie

Oct 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    Adam Dobbie
    D.J you are incorrect there is plenty of 365 on the car.

It’s a development vehicle (documented) with a very interesting history. You can’t compare this vehicle to another one.

Oh and when a commodore was sent to HDT or HSV it’s still a commodore.

16. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    As I said ,from the photos, no doubt interesting car as you discovered and the radio system is a big plus(to me).
    good luck with the sale.

17. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein

+ genuine 365!

18. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Adam,there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much wrong with this being a 365 that discounts it.

Auto,carbys,2x tail-lights,bolt on wheels.

Again...GLWS.

I hope you don't have any legal issues with the winner of your auction.

19. MXADS911

MXADS911 Rookie

Oct 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    Adam Dobbie
    Simon,

The car is what it is. As I keep saying it was a development/experiences vehicle. This is why it has the wheels, tail lights etc it’s what makes it unique.

And is why I invested so much time tracking down all the information on the car.

As for your comment about legal issues that is un called for. I don’t know why you are running my car down? I have a email from a motoring journalist that attended a press day at Maranello circa 1979 and the vehicle was as it is today.

20. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Interesting... Despite the issues noted above, the listing ended with 69 bids at $76K without reserve being met. I wonder what the draw is?

Did Marcel issue a letter/Classiche certification on this car (as per the listing) that hasn’t been made public? Any forum members bid on it?

21. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    I will bite Otto. No I did not bid on it and it is close by. It may have 400i engine #1 but to me it is still a LHD 400i auto with metric wheels, the least desirable in the series (at least to me). And it looks for all the world to have started life as a most desirable 365 GT4, then modified (by the factory?) to what is now the least desirable. Go figure. Whilst they may be the least desirable I still own two (RHD though) but have no interest in this one at the prices being touted.
    I hope that Adam washes it, recommissions it after its long slumber, registers it and drives it as Ferrari intended. That is its greatest value.

22. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    + (genuine) 365!

The pics supplied didn't help in trying to sell it either.