Smog question | FerrariChat

Smog question

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by tomberlin, Oct 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    My kid is in Nevada City with an old Volvo he wants to get rid of. It might not pass smog without more work than we want to do. Is a smog certificate a must? Is there no "AS IS" sale possibility?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

2. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    If the car is older than 1975, or was smogged within the 90 days prior to the sale, no smog is required. Otherwise a smog is required in order for the car registration to be transferred by the DMV. I suppose your son could try to sell the car "as-is" but the buyer would not be able to register the car in CA. I don't know if the buyer could later seek recourse for the smog failure.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

Maybe sell to an out of state buyer or donate the car? I don't know what Nevada's rules are.

Good luck.

3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I sold a few cars that is not able to pass smog in CA. I make sure in writing that the buyer is aware of the conditions of the vehicle and that I'm selling the car AS-IS, for parts only.

4. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Thank you guys-

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I think that pre-1975 cars are only exempt from the biannual smog check. They still have to be smogged if sold to a California buyer. Correct me if things have changed.

6. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    ^^
    I've purchased several pre-1975 cars recently and neither the seller nor I had to submit to smog. Its been awhile since I've sold a pre-1975 car, but my recollection is that I didn't have to smog it. The DMV wording at the link I posted seems to indicate pre-1975 cars are exempt from all smog. YMMV.

7. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    That is great news from a state government that hates cars.

8. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    'a slight, but noteworthy, correction: "1975 and older" (pre-1976) gasoline powered vehicles don't require smog inspections. Every little bit helps!

9. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    It was a 2001 Volvo, so not really meeting the definition of old. Car passed smog and sold on Craig's List this week. All is well!
    Thanks for all of the input,
    Tom

10. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    I've done this as well. Was taken to court by one rather bone-headed buyer, the judge saw the papers I had the buyer sign, tossed the case out... but still a hassle.

This is to say the law isn't clear on how to sell an inoperable car. Better safe than sorry, be very clear in writing about the sale, keep signed copies of everything, and don't let the buyer drive the car... make sure it doesn't start, and make him tow it away. At least, that's what I'm doing next time I sell an inop car.

11. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    The car made it through smog. He put it on Craig's List- first offer was for "2 units of high end prop 215", sold it, cash deal, to a "weed trimmer" from Spain who didn't have a license.
    Gotta love the Cali pot culture.
    Thanks for the responses guys.