Suggestion for car dolly | FerrariChat

Suggestion for car dolly

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by SaratogaCA, Oct 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    The area in front of my garage does not allow for easy maneuvering. And my both of F-cars are old-school, no-power steering models.

So I figured the ideal solution is a set of foot-pedal car dollies.

Does anyone here have a suggestion?

thanks,
    Sam in Saratoga

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Sam, I keep my Mondial on ‘wheel skates’. 2 things I’d recommend: wheels with a rubber rim, rather than just the metal - helps castors turn much more easily; low profile (with jacking) if your going to be using a lot. Mine are quite basic and whilst they work, it is a PITA to have to jack the car to put under the wheels. My cars off the road for a rebuild, so doesn’t bother me, but I’ll be switching when she’s eventually rebuilt. Nonetheless, brilliant for sideways parking! Look forward to seeing what you get. Let me know if a pic would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Dave, have you used these? They look like the wheels are solid /metal - I’ve found they can be a pain unless your garage is a v smooth floor (I assume everyone’s garage is like mine - old holes and bits of gravel). I assume for the price they are well made.

tromano1217 likes this.
  4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've not (yet). I keep a couple of cars in my shop over the winter (my Maserati GT and one of my dad's cars). It's a bit of a circus act getting them into position so I've been planning to get a set of these. But, my shop floor has no seems and it's epoxy mortar so very smooth.

5. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Dave, never knew I could get floor envy!!! Even my skates make a big difference, so I’d bet they’d be good. If you do get some, see if you can get ‘none marking’ with the wheels - be a shame to mark the epoxy.

Sam, sorry to digress the thread.

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Stu - good point. Our floor is pretty tough but yeah, I would prefer some type of rubber wheel. Thanks!

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You need two sets of those, almost $1000. Wow. I see those in use and the wheels are hard plastic. you do need to align them in the general same direction and then push the vehicle. They do have jacking ability.

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Crap - I didn't catch that - was thinking that price was a full set..... next....

9. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Yup. I need a set of 4, and they need to be reasonably strong and sturdy. I will not be loading a Hummer on them, but my F-cars weigh north of 3,000 pounds.

I also want to make sure they are durable.

I checked out the Wheel Skates. Problem with those is they don't have jacking ability, and I don't want to have to jack each wheel one at a time.

Anyway ... if any of the fellow F-car enthusiasts has first hand experience with a product, I would love to know about it.

Thanks,
    Sam in Saratoga

10. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I have a set of the Go-Jaks and they handle up to a 13" wide tire and 4500#. They are very stoutly made and are far from flimsy in construction, I use mine to reposition cars within my garage and have even used them to load a car into a trailer. They have non marring wheels and easily move 3000# plus cars smoothly, I would recommend you use at least two people to position a car into tight places which is a small drawback. If you are a Amazon Prime member the free shipping helps as four Go-Jaks plus the storage rack will weigh about 125#'s. Zendex offers them in different sizes/weight capabilities which bring the price down somewhat.

http://www.zendextool.com/gojak-2/

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #13 johnk..., Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    They may be ok for moving cars around but I would use them for storage. And frankly, since when jacking up a Ferrari typically both front and rear wheels come up at the same time I thing it would be easier to use regular dollies and a floor jack to lift the car. But if you must have foot pedal dollies, you might want to check these out. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612550_200612550?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive > Wheel Dollies&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=37809&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75LKtaCd1wIVEFqGCh3oYwLcEAQYBiABEgKFffD_BwE

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John - if you want to put the car up tight against a wall or other car, there will be no room to maneuver a floor jack - this is the benefit of these jacking dollies.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Dave, if it's that tight how are you going to get between the wall and the car to lower the dolly? And how would you get the dolly out if it's close to the wall? The one from Northern is 28" wide. You can't get it very close to a wall if you want to get it out and I would not leave a car lifted on the rollers. You would have some strange shaped tires if it sat that way for very long.

At $50/pair I'd go with 2 pair of these and a floor jack. Put the car on the dollies, move it where I wanted it and leave it on the dollies. Nice rounded pads to prevent flat spots. Place it as close to a wall as you like for storage.

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I put my dad's car and mine about 10-12" apart (just enough room for a person to squeeze in between and get a car cover on). That would be enough room to get these out but hardly enough room to use a floor jack.

Sure, leaving the car on other dollies is not a bad alternative.

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't think you are going to get either type dolly out with 12" between the cars, especially the pedal type. You have to lower the dollies, then slide them out. Even if you could separate the rollers so you could tilt them before they are all the way out from under the tire, I think you would need more than 12". Look at the construction. There has to be 6" to 8" from the tire to the outside of the edge of the dolly. That leaves you 4" to slide it out and tilt it up. Don't think it's going to happen. And with the other type why would you need to get the floor jack in there. Just leave the car on the dollies. I never suggested that you take it off. At $100 for 4 why would you bother? Easy to move anytime you need to and no flat spots. Nope, no pedal dollies for me. Not good for storage and every time you want to move a car it's up and down at all 4 corners. Way too much work for this old man. :)

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    And you know what. I 'm not even sure you could get one of those pedal dollies under a 355.

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's not for my 355. It's for my Maserati GT and my dad's Chrysler 300. And, I'd bet you could pivot them up from the floor but I'm not spending a grand on these so it doesn't matter ;)

19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    syata likes this.
  20. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I prefer not having to shell out a grand.

So this is reasonably priced.

But it looks too narrow for my tires. It does not specify how wide a tire it can handle.

Also, I would like to know if anyone has actually used it. I'd like to know if it is a rinky-dink product or if the wheels get stuck.

As far as maneuvering space, my plan was to pull up to the garage, jack up the car, rotate and align it with the garage, and then remove the jacks and pull into the garage. So maneuvering space is not an issue.

- Sam in Saratoga

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #22 johnk..., Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    The video says up to 10" wide tires.

22. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I concur - GoJaks work very well. Be sure to order the storage rack.

23. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I looked at Go Jaks and dismissed them for being too expensive. I bought a set of the better american made ones (can't remember the name, but a popular one), and I couldn't move the car around by myself, which was the whole point of buying them. So, I ended up buying the Go Jaks and cart, and have been very happy with them. Much easier to not need a floor jack, and I can move the car around by myself; a huge difference from the first set. I wish I would have just bought the Go Jaks in the beginning.

24. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Have you ever tried your Go-Jacks on asphalt?