Which one? F430, Calif T, or 458 | FerrariChat

Which one? F430, Calif T, or 458

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by KingFishMB, Nov 1, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KingFishMB

KingFishMB Rookie

Sep 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    TOM MARTIN
    I can not decide which one to get.

I like the price of the F430 and looks great.
    I like the Calif T looks and thinking less maintenance problems b/c is newer model. Prices are creeping lower.
    The 458 looks really great but is that to much over the top? Budget would only be around year 2011 or so.

Probably not a daily drive but want to drive regularly.

Want to be under 200k for sure and less would be better. 175-185 better

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

cgordo20 likes this.
  2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the 430 is the obvious choice

3. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    2011 458 more horse power and better handling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Afonsolaw and KingFishMB like this.
  4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I would go for the 458.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  5. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Without a doubt the 458.

I've spent a great deal of time driving all three. The 458 is head and shoulders above the others. The 430 is fun too and a lot of car for the money but the 458 eclipses it. I'm sorry but the California T is a hairdressers car ;) I have a California T now as a driver and it has zero appeal IMO. It just doesn't feel "special" the way a Ferrari should and the backseats are useless. However, if it was just for my wife the California would be perfect. She loves it.

6. KingFishMB

KingFishMB Rookie

Sep 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    TOM MARTIN
    thanks, love to hear everyone's opinions and thoughts.

7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    of course the 458 is better than the 430.

is that extra 3% improvement worth $80-100k today, and another $50k in depreciation? not to me.

are you going to track it and even feel that 3% improvement? maybe.

but most of the time you will be driving it at less than 50mph in a straight line.

Formula Uno likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ross i usually agree with you but 458 over 430 all day every day. no question in my mind.

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am just a cheap bastard ;)

Afonsolaw, G. Pepper and JG333SP like this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lol. if its the one F car you get to own in your life the 70k premium is justified.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Is it your first Ferrari ?
    Have you taken any of the 3 for a test drive yet ;)
    I would pick either the 430 or the 458.
    HP range of the 2 is close to 500 hp to a bit less than 600 hp.
    Both will get you in trouble quick on the street if you don't watch your right foot.
    And as usual ..........
    This all depends on which one YOU want.

12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Ummm the Horsepower jump alone is a 21.28% improvement so your way off.

The interior is at least another 25% improvement.

The exterior is at least a 10% improvement.

The technology at least another 10% improvement.

Are you using Chicago math?

13. KingFishMB

KingFishMB Rookie

Sep 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    TOM MARTIN
    Is it your first Ferrari ?
    -->Yes

Have you taken any of the 3 for a test drive yet ;)
    -->I have not driven them unfortunately and think that is a must do.

I would pick either the 430 or the 458.

HP range of the 2 is close to 500 hp to a bit less than 600 hp.
    Both will get you in trouble quick on the street if you don't watch your right foot.
    And as usual .........This all depends on which one YOU want

-->Yeah you're right of course. One reason for considering the Calif is i thought it blended in more
    and I am thinking a 458 may just be over the top driving around little old South Carolina.

I need get over to dealership and look at them closer. Thanks everyone for their input much appreciated.

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yep :)

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    other than the bhp, your other numbers are as subjective as mine.

chose whichever you like, but the overall cost of the 458 will be double the 430. so i would not want it.
    but if the desire is to swan around in a car that looks more modern, go right ahead and spend the money.

KingFishMB likes this.
  16. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Another thing to consider is servicing the car. A 458 has a wet, sealed, dual clutch, which, theoretically, is a non-serviceable item. The carbon rotors, theoretically, should last forever as well. Even if you got an '11, you'd still have a year left for free maintenance on top of that.

KingFishMB likes this.
  17. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    As a 430 owner they are great cars! Is the 458 better?...well yes, but it seems whenever a new F-car comes out its always better then whatever it replaces! Buy what makes your heart beat faster and enjoy!

KingFishMB likes this.
  18. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Sounds like you need to get a 308 (kidding)

The 458 is the best looking fcar since the 355. My opinion of course but another thing to consider is it's the last of the naturally aspirated mid engined v8's. These NA flat crank v8's run all the way back to the Dino v8 in the 308 gt4 from the mid 70s...all of these cars sound better than a 488, and the 458 even looks better-no debate on that last part

Then again, if you could get a good deal on a stick 430 hmmm. Remember, nobody actually needs these cars-get exactly what you want

DrewH and KingFishMB like this.
  19. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If you want to blend in get a 911! :)

I can't express enough how livable day to day the 458 is. It is "docile" and comfortable putzing around town and great for road trips. I took it to Daytona Beach and back in addition to Orlando and back several times. You could easily use it for a daily driver. Lol, I took it everywhere including Walmart. Maybe it's just south Florida but it was no big deal to most people. IMO it is worth the extra money because it feels 100x more refined than the 430. Aesthetically its light years beyond the 430.

Most importantly you MUST drive them. If you drive all three and still pick the California you need your head examined. ;) :) A Ferrari should be an emotional experience that touches your soul every time you get in it. If not, get something else.

Just my two cents.

20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with ttforcefed. And Buddyg- the 458 is an order of magnitude better than the 430. If you are uncomfortable with spending ~$200 then go for the 430 and know you are getting a really great Ferrari. But the premium for the 458 I would argue isn't only worth it I'd say its a bargain.

If it helps any, I think of the F430's "personality" as a sports car. Whereas the 458's is supercar.

Aesthetics is purely subjective. I love both. But I can tell you build quality, the 430 is built well but you will get some rattles over bumps and the in car tech isn't anywhere near the 458- if that matters to you. The 458 should be nearly rattle free. Its structure is MUCH stiffer and that allowed for a faster rear suspension, which in turn allows for a faster steering setup. Drive a 458 with gusto and prepared to be ruined for life.

cgordo20 likes this.
  21. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Let me play devil's advocate. If blending in is a priority, unless you live in Beverly Hills or the like, F-car is not an optimum choice. Like someone else said, get a 911. However, Cali in a color other than red or yellow, could do the trick. Ditch the shields and you're even more likely to go below the radar. I warn you though, lotta of young kids still like cars & know their s**t and they're still gonna flip out when you roll by with anything that has a prancing horse on it. Get a T or Cali 30 with HS package. Coupe to cab in 13 seconds. A lot of the depreciation is already built in and they're great bargains and a great first Ferrari. And, once you get the F-car disease, add a V12 to the stable. Best of luck, this is a beauty contest with no losers...T

KingFishMB likes this.
  22. KingFishMB

KingFishMB Rookie

Sep 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    TOM MARTIN
    Love that ! Quote of the day !!!! thanx

HotShoe and MJR_HK like this.
  23. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    When I'm asked about my favorite cars it is in order as follows..
    288GTO
    Muira (they swap around regular)
    F355

Without a shadow of a doubt a 458. If I ever swap my 360 it will be for a 458. Done the F355 now. 458 yeppy yep :-D

Anyway I guess drive them but I'm sure the 458. As mentioned it is the prettiest Ferrari since the F355 and if I am honest it looks better than it.

Renman57 and KingFishMB like this.
  24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The 458 is far superior to the 430 in everything but looks (My opinion, not shared with most). It is an amazingly livable car considering the performance, and less in terms of service expenses.

Renman57 likes this.
  25. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The 458 is a fantastic machine, no doubt. That said - and despite its superiority over its predecessor - I recently purchased a 430. Perhaps I'll swap the 430 for the 458 in two or three years once the latter has approached (or reached) the bottom of its depreciation curve. For the present, with absolute price not a serious factor, I couldn't justify the value proposition. Obviously, there might be a bit of confirmation bias there, but not much.

KingFishMB likes this.