Which one? F430, Calif T, or 458 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which one? F430, Calif T, or 458

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by KingFishMB, Nov 1, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    458 if it's in your budget. 430 next. I have both.

I am not interested in a California at all.

Afonsolaw and KingFishMB like this.
  2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Are you looking for a convertible?

How long are your regular drives? It makes a big difference.

3. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I agree with majority of people here. I owned an F430 and really liked the car....but then I bought a 458. Without a doubt, I would go for a 458. You can find 2010 and 2011 for reasonable prices.

bberg009 likes this.
  4. lilian

lilian Rookie

Nov 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    lilian mort
    subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Afonsolaw and Nel1 like this.
  5. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Currently have a f430 spider and 458 italia. I would pick the 458 if you have the money to spend. It seems like most people agree with me as well. If you are worried about cost, the depreciation will be smaller on the f430 if driven the same amount but significantly less than the $50k he states above in my opinion.

6. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    As far as exterior, I prefer the rear of the f430 over the 458. In spider form I prefer the glass covered engine of the 430 spider as well. After that, I prefer all other aspects of the 458 exterior. In terms of interior, the 458 is one generation ahead. The 430 interior is closer to the 360, so its much dated compared to today. Again, that would be your preference. But here the 458 wins and its not even close, same applies to the cars performance although the 430 has more than what you need on the road. I would say the performance gap between the two might be as large as compared to the 488 and 458. As far as sound, both my cars are slightly modded but if I had to pick one it would be the more metallic sound of the 430 but my 2011 458 with original ecu programming has pops and backfires that the my 430 doesn't have.

tomc likes this.
  7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    IMO it's about budget. The 458 is the better daily driver than the 430 in reality, more comfortable, faster, easier to drive slowly as well as quickly, more equipment, and of course, free servicing for seven years is a bonus. I found mine easier on tyres and consumables too. There is a premium over the 430, but to be honest, the DCT will last way longer than any F1 tranny, so that in itself will save you big time over a 430 that is going to be older. The 458 just does everything the 430 does, at about 50% better all around in real terms.

The 430 is not, however, a dog of a car, and I would have one in a heartbeat. It's a great car, far better sorted than the 360 it was loosely an evo of. In my experience, however, neither is an absolute classic, like a f40 or 250, they are 'just cars' (that's it, I'm dead) so it's likely budget to determine it. Once you drive a 458, if you have the budget, I believe it would be difficult to go back to 430.

Cali, hmmm, you know, they drive great, the DCT is a dream, and it's very very fast and accomplished. I'd have one over any of its rivals (Aston, merc SL, etc), but if you are into drivers cars, the 430 and 458 would be your favoured choices I'm sure because the Cali does sacrifice a little for comfort and cruising over hardcore at the edge speed and handling. In the market there are some detractors, uninformed in my opinion, who say it was just a way to get people into ferrari ready to upgrade immediately, but it's a very good product in its own right, and of course, carries the badge that means you will be the winner in any golf club car park challenge!

Have fun choosing, but I reckon it's down to max budget, and whether you are a racing man, or a cruising man

BTW, I'm a bit shocked, are 458s going down in value again now?, I sold mine last year as my illness stopped me enjoying it, the idea being to buy again when I could actually get in the thing!, and I made $60k over what I paid a couple years before due to the natural aspirated V8 craze that hit once ferrari announced turbocharging the 488. Has that worn off now?, if it has, I finally sold at the right time on a car for a change (biggest previous loss, £1400000/$2100000 at the time in conversion rates, on a 612). Yay me!

KingFishMB and tomc like this.
  8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I own a couple of 430s (both manual), reviewed the 458 when it came out. The 458 is a much better car for all the reasons listed above. More modern, faster, more comfortable, etc. But it's also all those things to a massive factor over a NART Spider or a 250 SWB or a Daytona, I wouldn't take the 458 in any of those cases. So the question is, does the 430 have anything the 458 doesn't? You can make that argument for a manual, if that rings your bell (it does mine). I wonder if, very much in the tradition of almost every modern Ferrari (and other cars) and its successor, the 430 is more engaging at lower speeds, than the 458. I'm not sure enough about this last point to make it with any conviction, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.
    Still: the 458 is a much better car.
    But the 488 is better than a 458, and I would definitely take a 458 over a 488.
    So, as they said, take both out for a good drive!
    Cali is a different type of car completely.

Ripped Fat, KingFishMB and daytona355 like this.
  9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Drive all three then buy the 458. :)

10. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I guess a lot depends on what you want to spend. There is the obvious price difference with the 430 and 458, but the 458 is newer and better in probably every way. For many people a 430 will tick every box. For others they need the extra that a 458 can only deliver.

Regarding the California, its quite different to the mid engined cars, and will handle and drive completely differently. I suggest you drive each to see which is best. Thanks.

KingFishMB likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #36 italiafan, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    You live in South Carolina...beautiful driving country roads!
    Forget the Cali.
    If you drive the 458 and the 430 there is no doubt in my mind you will want the 458.
    Drive the 430 first...you will get out and smile, nod, say what a great car.
    As soon as you put your foot into it and shift from first to second in the 458 you will literally laugh out load. You will get out of the 458 with a huge ****-eating grin, giggling...and you will buy the 458.
    You can easily get a 458 in your budget, and newer than 2011 as well.
    I think Ferrari of Central Florida has one now close to what you are looking for.

You can get this for ~$185k I believe. It is at their CF location.

https://www.ferraritampabay.com/2013-ferrari-458-italia-c-141.htm

Or this..at Ferrari of Tampa.

https://www.ferraritampabay.com/2011-ferrari-458-italia-c-110.htm

There are dozens out there in your budget.

KingFishMB and bberg009 like this.
  12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    At $200K it would either be a 430 Scuderia, 458 or 599.

The Scud is a "special race car for the street" and will hold it's value best.
    The 458 is the best looking and performing. Really beautiful cars and perhaps "Last of the N/A V-8s" will keep its value up but they did produce a bunch.
    But for me...a 599 is next on the list. And it has 12 cylinders just like Enzo approved ;)
    I may be over my boy racer phase.

13. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    First one looks really nice and optioned well. The second one has some serious sticky button issues.

14. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Love be the Cali-T and the new more agressive styling, but I would prefer the 458, closely followed by the 430.

I have owned the last two, and the only thing I did not like about the 430 was the ragtop. Beyond that, I think the tail of the 430 looks better than the 458, while the handling of the 458 is better. But what the hell... if you can afford any of these cars, you are blessed, regardless what you buy...

Afonsolaw likes this.
  15. Stanley Kendall

Stanley Kendall Karting
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2017
    458 if you can afford it. Otherwise grab a 430. Some
    Great deals out there!

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Would never myself buy again from ferrari of orlando or tampa... aside Anyhony in parts there the orlando dealership was a joke to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. KingFishMB

KingFishMB Rookie

Sep 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    TOM MARTIN
    If they are asking 202k you are thinking they would take 185k? I was wondering about that part as well. Any thoughts on offer pricing ???

18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

No harm in making an offer. Keep us posted and good luck bro.

KingFishMB likes this.
  19. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    For the budget stated, you could get a 430 Scud. That’s the car I would prefer over a base 458 or any Cali.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
  21. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    For me
    458 then 430 then Cali t

I have driven all three several times and that’s definitely what I’d do if it were me

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    You would be mistaken ... the 458 is the obvious choice. I had a 360 and when it was time to upgrade, I bypassed the 430.

As members Mighty Joe and Hot Shoe point out, when Ferrari unveils the next generation sportscar, there are improvements to behold. The 360 / 430 family pales in comparison to the technology in the 458 / 488 family.

Well, you certainly have that statistic wrong! Let's for a moment presume the annual service is approximately the same cost for each car, since neither engine requires a frequent timing belt replacement. Tire wear is about the same. Assume for a moment a 430 for comparison purposes has carbon brakes, as does the 458. With this scenario, your comment implies the purchase cost of the 458 is two times that of a 430, which is simply not correct.

Assuming an apples-to oranges comparison and the 430 has steel brakes to the 458's carbon brakes, treated properly the 458 rotors will last forever. (Not including track events, for parity basis.) The 458's pads are more expensive than the 430's pads, but NO WAY leads to a 2x overall cost of purchase plus maintenance!

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #48 TheMayor, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Scud. What a pity they did not mass produce the 16m. As a collectible its just so-so but if it were available at a reasonable price it would probably be my first choice for driving fun.

The F430 is less digital. It's also more fragile. That's the debate. Speed is irrelevant on city streets. Buying a 458 because it has a better stereo or GPS seems like a rather silly reason to me.

The best thing about the 458 is the sound at 9 grand. That is amazing.

Afonsolaw and daytona355 like this.
  24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you misunderstood my thoughts (i was not positing statistics).
    the 458 is going to cost about 175k.
    the 430 will cost around 100k
    in another 3+ years time, the 458 will sell for about 125k, so a loss of 50k.
    in another 3+ years time, the 430 will still be around 100k.

and since you make assumptions to fit your argument, then i will too.....
    my 430 has steel brakes, the 458 will have ccm. each corner is 4-5k to replace in case of damage.
    the insurance on the 458 is more, and most self inflicted damage will cost more.

so by the end of the 3 year period, i reckon the owner of the 458 could take a 50-100k hit vs owning the 430. YMMV

25. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    I would look the other direction of a 458 priced at that amount. As to the price of a quality 430, a representative number is a tad higher. Thus on this metric a 458 is not 2x that of a 430.

I disagree the 430 will not depreciate. Furthermore the depreciation value of the 458 is speculative. My example above is predicted on "present value" comparison, that both cars depreciate or neither car depreciates.

The cost to replace something due to damage (brakes in your example) is not the same as "normal wear and tear", which is a more representative analysis. You cannot predict the future if a brake rotor will need to be replaced because of damage, but you can predict routine maintenance.

Insurance on my 360 was $140 and insurance on my 458 is $200. The delta of $60 per month requires ownership of sixty-nine years for the 430 to cost more than the 458, based on a $50,000 delta. Your math of 2x does not work.

Afonsolaw likes this.