Portofino Launch and picture thread | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I have read similar claims. On high loads small turbo engines feed extra fuel just to cool down the engine and therefore energy gets wasted. While percentually the new WLTP cycle hurts small engines the most, the actual fuel consumption increase seems to be on similar level. The early data supplied by Opel (see links below) suggests that minimum and maximum consumption figures increase respectively by about 1 and 2 liters per 100 km (regardless of engine size or type). Anyway, I assume Ferraris get relatively more eco friendly after WLTP gets applied! ;)

http://www.opel.com.lb/tools/wltp-drivingcycle-fuelconsumption.html (WLTP examples, no engine size listed, only power figures)
    http://www.opel.fi/tools/wltp-drivingcyle-fuelconsumption.html (WLTP examples, more detailed with engine sizes and types, if you don't mind Finnish language)

P.S. Sorry for posting such links to Ferrari forum...

2. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I think I misunderstood the 'Note' section of https://portofino.ferrari.com/en/tech-specs regarding emission and fuel consumption figures.

"In homologation phase" probably doesn't mean it is still under homologation process. The likely reason why it is separately stated here is because fuel consumption and CO2 emissions figures will be overridden in later phase with new WLTP cycle values. However, the Portofino's homologation has apparently been done before September 2017, so Ferrari is not in a hurry to perform WLTP cycle tests. But they need to so before September 2018, because since then every newly registered car must contain also WLTP values. Since January 2019 WLTP will override current NEDC figures.

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think that's why they moved them. They moved them probably because the tail lights on the trunk lid do not meet US regulations. You can't have your brake lights only on the trunk lid. They have to be on a fixed part of the body. This is why the brake lights on a US California are actually the tiny lights at the bottom of the trunk, not the actual brake lights. This is why many SUVs have brake lights not only on the hatch, but also on the bumper.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/heres-the-hilarious-story-of-the-ferrari-californias-brake-lights-261795

inox likes this.
  4. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Wow. That was interesting piece of information. I agree with you, that must have been the initial reason for rear light relocation. But they also needed to move them to get space for the longer roof panel. The rear light dilemma may have actually contributed also on the increase of width of the car. They were running very marginal on space. It just shows how complex this particular rear end was to design to get everything in. I have to admire the end result.

MDEL likes this.
  5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The Portofino is a significant improvement in this regard.

MDEL and jumpinjohn like this.
  6. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    If we weren’t so much in love with our Cali-T, I would almost swap for the Portofino for the ability to raise/lower the top while moving and having functional tail lights...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I think they did a great job with the Portofino. I might consider it for my next car.

8. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Okay then....
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/brake-light-mods.558655/
    for fixing the lights.

https://www.cksperformance.com/products/smarttop-one-touch-roof-control-module-for-ferrari-458-spider-ferrari-california
    http://www.mods4cars.com/blog/smarttop-convertible-top-controller-for-ferrari-california-available-shortly/
    for roof-in-motion

jumpinjohn likes this.
  9. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    First disclaimer - Any mod done outside of a Ferrari dealer may not be warrantied and can possibly void your warranty. Proceed at own risk. I would not hesitate to call the dealer and clarify - if you still have warranty on your vehicle.

The roof solution is a simple plug-n-play - no wire cutting etc. you just plug in a module. If in doubt - I would just remove it before taking car in for services if you never want the dealer to know of it.

On the other hand, the brake-light mod is more involved and requires splicing wires.

I do not have warranty on my car and I have not done either of the mentioned mods on my own car. I am planning to do the brake light mod soon. I feel that my worst case scenario is that my mod will not work and I will have to reverse the wire jump. Hence I am not cutting any wires, just splicing them to make T-junctions.
    Others have done it successfully because outside of USA, the car is originally designed to use the upper brake lights.

Once again - all modding comes with inherent risks. You will have to weigh your options. If you are convinced that Mod will be okay but unsure of your capability to do it, there is always option to take it to a professional shop. The roof mod people list installers that will professionally install for a cost.

But then again - Proceed at own risk.

10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you sir.

I still have some warranty left...

John

11. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Some analysis on Portofino's top speed. Ferrari claims 316 kph for California T and 320+ kph for Portofino. Based on increased horsepower alone, Portofino should reach 323 kph. I can only evaluate the frontal areas based on dimensional datas and estimate the total drag difference using Cd figures of California T (Cd 0,33) and Portofino (Cd 0,312). It should be mentioned that California T's Cd figure is too inaccurate for proper calculations and there are also aspects which are not taken into account, such as gearing. But based on calculations, I think it is safe to say this entry level Ferrari will reach 325 kph, beating even the mighty F40!

Ambrose likes this.
  12. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    Dubai presentation of the Portofino. White with the contrast black roof.

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice. Opening the roof to what sounds like Bocelli. Classy! I may have to add opera to my roof opening regimen. Another color the Porto looks good in.
    Thanks for posting...T

14. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
  15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Very interesting, inox. Most interesting tidibts (IMO) from that article...

- when the folding hardtop is down, a new wind deflector reduces in-cabin airflow by 30 percent (that'd be nice, as there seems to be a lot more wind buffeting in Cali versus wife's SLK 250).
    - new for an entry-level Ferrari is electric power steering (does anyone know if this is same/similar to 812?)

And, I'll say it again, man alive, Rosso Portofino is a snazzy color!

T

16. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I️ really like the Portofino. Pretty sure my Cali-T has a center mounted battery...

It is disappointing that it will not offer bespoke luggage. That is something we live in ours. I️ hope they still offer the stitched horse...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

635CSI likes this.
  17. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    jumpinjohn likes this.
  18. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
  19. Flash_Drive

Flash_Drive Rookie

Nov 9, 2017
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ferrari's promo video with engine sounds and some night shots is intoxicating!

Does anyone know how difficult or competitive it will be to get an allocation? Will dealers be seeking "market price adjustments"?

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Regular production car shouldn't be difficult to get, and always at MSRP.

21. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    A new video showing some details of Portofino. Too bad the cameraman failed to open the boot lid and also the rear seat back rest. Anyway, best views of the diffuser we have seen so far.

22. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Christ ! My ears !

23. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
  24. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie