Winter Battery Care? | FerrariChat

Winter Battery Care?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Gofast430, Nov 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I keep my 458 on the OEM battery maintainer when not driving. If the car is going
    to not be driven for 2-3 months (winter), should I start the car every few weeks and let
    it warm up for a while?.
    Just curious.
    Thanks,
    Don

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    PLEASE, ... look in all those threads that were here the last three weeks ... :D

jcognetta likes this.
  3. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Hi melvok
    Yes or no Thats the question

4. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    It is a simple question. I don’t need a lecture on chat etiquette MELVOK

5. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I too wonder about this. Not so much to do with battery care (the charger should take care of that) more to do with keeping all the internals of the engine and AC compressor lubricated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Spider68

Spider68 Karting

Aug 21, 2010
    Switzerland
    I never start my cars over the winter so just put her on the battery maintainer

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk Pro

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #7 Caeruleus11, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    I don't love the included maintainer. It is from CTek, but its usually one of their lower level models. When I get a new Ferrari I also buy a new CTek 7002 as I like the robustness of these tender/maintainers. They have served me well going on 10+ years. They have a much better battery conditioning program than the factory maintainer and can output more juice if needed. I connect them either by using the connectors I bought from the website listed below a few years ago, or before that, I would have my mechanic take the connector off the factory one and install it onto the 7002 cable.

https://www.kumari.net/index.php/cars/ferrari-battery-charger-cable

If its going to sit, I would go ahead and add some air to the tires, this will help mitigate the temporary flat spotting that can occur when a car sits for a long time. Modern tires shouldn't develop permanent flat spots, but it can be annoying to have a lumpy ride for a few miles when you are awakening the car in the spring. I look on the tire sidewalls for the max allowable psi and I'll inflate to within 2-3 psi. So if the max is 50, I might inflate to 48. Just remember to lower the air pressure before you go driving! If you might forget, or if someone else might move it, then leave a note in an obvious place.

I still follow the rule that I would not start the car unless I was going to drive it. Yet, my mechanic tells me driving the car is still the best policy, but if the car is going to sit for some time, if you can turn it on and warm up the fluids, especially the motor oil- then this is OK. You will have to sit in the car and obviously make sure the garage is open to vent the exhaust and vary the RPMs (dont go crazy stabbing it, be gentle in raising the RPMs) you want to get the oil up to operating temp. This will burn off any water. I wouldn't let it sit for more than 6 weeks without running the engine. Yet, I often forget to go out and run a car and I let it sit all winter.

Finally there is the question of how much fuel to leave in the tank. Some say fill it up so it doesn't allow moisture to accumulate inside the fuel tank. That seems reasonable, except our lovely gasoline here in the US begins to break down after just a few weeks. So now you will have an entire tank of fuel that is not optimal which you will run through your engine. I have come to the conclusion that unless you can find some storage fuel, which will be very expensive, I think its best to leave something around ¼ to ⅛ tank. I realize this gives more likelihood of some moisture, but, until someone convinces me otherwise, my first drive after awakening is a nice 10 mile drive to the fuel station- making sure the car has warmed up. Then I can give her fresh fuel and we can go for a bit of a drive.

In general, I don't bother with car covers, I think they end up creating more trouble than they are worth and any dust that accumulates is just there to be blown off with your first spirited drive!

Finally, that is a gorgeous car in a beautiful spec- congratulations!

Solid State likes this.
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    No Don, nice car !

And sure ... I am not Fchat police ... only have seen the same question now 5 times in two weeks ...

Answer: you don't need to do that; in fact it is not good for engine and other engine parts.

Either drive it, so that all parts are hot like "normal use" ... or leave it until you need it after 3 monts.

9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Don, sorry for the off-topic, but I gotta tell you you have one of the nicest 458s I've ever seen. I simply love that color. Fell in love head over feet over it.

Keep enjoying in good health!

Rule of thumb: not going to drive it? Don't start it (main problem: condensation). Keep it on the tender at all times.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore

This was my first post on this subject.
    No problem though.
    You are very knowledgeable about these cars.
    Thanks

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I hate when people say to look it up on another thread. If you have knowledge to impart, than share it.

Art138 likes this.
  12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Beautiful car.

Every year this comes up like clockwork. Don't mind answering. Best is to have your annual service timed in the Fall. Plan to have your fuel run low before storage. Then full tank with fuel stabilizer and injector conditioner. Make sure you run fuel through the entire system. Full wash, deionized water rinse, blow dry and detail inside and out. Then onto foam blocks (I use Flatstoppers). Inflate to 5 psi below max as Caeruleus suggests. Factory charger on. Cover with soft cloth (king sized cotton sheets) or car cover. Never start it. Will do more harm then good if you don't give it a real trip but then you might have to re-clean depending on weather and street conditions (salt). Less than a full ride will leave the battery unnecessarily low as well. Let it hibernate. Stare at it off and on for three months. Watch for varmints looking to winter over in your 458. Weather hits 60F then uncover, reset air pressure, store the foam blocks and cover. Enjoy.

PS. I used to live near Overland Park back in the 70s. The women were naturally beautiful.

hemyhra likes this.
  13. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    There is nothing to worry about. Just keep the car plugged to its charger and you will be fine. If you get a chance during winter when the roads are dry, take her for a ride once a month

TheDiffuser and Labman like this.
  14. drive4fun

drive4fun Rookie

Jan 19, 2005
    One other suggestion: get some clothes softener dryer sheets and place several around engine compartment and areas with electrical wires. Mice love to build nests in cars and chew the wires in the process. They can enter virtually any garage. They hate the smell of the dryer sheets and the smell dissipates pronto once removed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. drive4fun

drive4fun Rookie

Jan 19, 2005
    And I know it may be obvious, but don’t use the handbrake during storage!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

hemyhra likes this.
  16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would add avoid road salt! It only does bad things. Far better to let the car sit than drive it on roads that were treated. You have to wait for a good strong rain storm that can wash it all away. The newer stuff is even worse.

For a stick shift car, I would agree to not use the handbrake, unless you are putting it up on a lift, and then, its a bit of a belt and suspenders thing. But I am pretty sure the 458 will use its electronic parking brake. I have never seen it, and so far I have not given into my temptation to place chalks, but I can't get the worry out of my head that one moment the computer might hiccup and release the brake.

17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1

18. Geoff Clark

Geoff Clark Rookie

Jan 21, 2018
    Full Name: