More GTO chat | Page 14 | FerrariChat

More GTO chat

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, Sep 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    AFAIK, the body was never separated. Engine and serial number was transferred to a fake and have since been returned.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Weren't the two cars, the real #3673SA and the GTO with the engine from #3673SA, parked next to each other in the then owners collection? I am sure I have seen a picture of the two.

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  4. GG Allin

GG Allin Karting

Nov 11, 2007
  5. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
  6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I have a question. Why is the nose of #3445GT totally wrong? It's my favourite 250 GTO and i've seen it with two different noses during it's life (from photos). I thought that after the accident they would make like it's presentation back in the glory days.

tomgt likes this.
  7. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    You have to make a buck for a particular GTO and venue on period photo base (3d technology)
    I do not know what Brandoli does but....

It is not the only GTO that is wrong. There are worse examples. But hey Classiche = Ferrari. So it is factory original now!

NürScud likes this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    3445 GT was NOT done by Brandoli.

Marcel Massini

NürScud likes this.
  9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Anton fbsn, tomgt and NürScud like this.
  10. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, i was wondering why Ferrari's Classiche department gave the 'OK' to let it like this.

Thank you about the photo. May i ask what colour is the car in that period? Blue without the yellow nose or something else?

Thank you in advance.

:)

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Car was originally Rosso Cina according to all the GTO books. Nose was modified prior to LM 62 as in pic below, again previously posted by FChat member GIOTTO.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud likes this.
  12. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Christian.Fr and NürScud like this.
  13. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you both. Interesting infos.

:)

14. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006

After the start of the ATS-project in early 1962, Enzo Ferrari denied to deliver the already ordered first two GTOs to Giovanni Volpi for Sebring and the Targa Florio (what initiated Bizzarrini’s ‘Breadvan’-build and TR #0892’s modification). But just a few months later, Volpi got - with Luciano Conti’s (Editor Autosprint) and Sergio Bettoja’s help as camouflaged buyers – anyhow his first GTO, the red painted #3445.

This manoeuvre instantly produced Bettoja a serious problem, which he tried to justify with a strange story: “Avevo avuto una controversia con Enzo Ferrari … un certo momento ebbi bisogno di liquidi per pagare le tasse … e quindi decisi di vendere la GTO [#3445GT]. La offri a Ferrari, che però rispose: ‘Io non ricompro mai le macchine che ho venduto’. Così la cedetti al conte Giovanni Volpi di Misurata che proprio in quel momento aveva fondato l’ATS, nella quale erano confluiti tra ex dirigenti Ferrari: Chiti, Tavoni e Gardini. Così Ferrari pensa che io avuto fare una cortesia a Volpi di Misurata e un torto a lui, e se la prese. … “ (Luca Delli Carri; ‘Benzina e Cammina’).

Subsequently, Scuderia SSS Repubblica di Venezia raced #3445 hard and finally sold it – as I believe – after (and not before) the 63 Targa Florio to Ulf Norinder. And pity, the actual new body and paint is a wrong combination.

15. Schlesser

Schlesser Karting

Feb 12, 2013
    What is 'TR #0892' and why a pity?

16. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Sorry! Of course it is #792TR ...

17. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Well, 3445 is today a wild mix of paint- and body-configurations that never existed in period. On important cars such manipulation with Mona Lisa’s smile according to the restorer’s taste is simply irritating. Caring for history and showing different bits of former configurations in a new mix? And there was even a large Scuderia SSS decal on the Swedish Norinder livery. Absurd to my humble taste!

NürScud, Christian.Fr and tomgt like this.
  18. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  19. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #344 mcimino, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Curious as to where the Ex-Surtees car is today (pictured in post #85)? I had seen it years ago at the Louis Vuitton Classic in NYC and it was in original condition as if it just left the track from the 60s. Has it been restored or does it still remain in its original condition?

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #345 miurasv, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    AFAIK 3647GT is still where it's been since around 1967, in NY. And still very original (AFAIK), but patinated. See pics in post 236 which are screen shots from a video taken a few years ago.

21. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks...that's good to know. Hope to see it again some time.

22. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    The only unrestored 250 GTO, 3647 GT, still owned by my friend, and continues to be raced. Here it is when we were up at Limerock Park in September - last running of it for this year. You might notice its "patina" and various shades of red in my first photo.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It would be good to know who rebodied 3647GT last after its accidents in period that are part of its very interesting history. Is anyone here able to share?

24. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    According to my friend who owns this car.... it was last rebodied through the factory - he believes that Ferrari had Fantuzzi do the work.

miurasv likes this.
  25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Great. Very interesting. Thank you.