How Do You Avoid Using the e-brake After a Lapping Session? | FerrariChat

How Do You Avoid Using the e-brake After a Lapping Session?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Need4Spd, Nov 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    On every other car I’ve tracked, I’ve put the car in gear or in “park” after a hot laps session, but not used the e-brake, as it may fuse to the hot rotor or leave a big deposit of pad material.

But on a 458, turning off the ignition automatically applies the e-brake. If I put it into car wash mode, the e-brake is not applied, but it doesn’t go into “park” as well, so the car rolls away. What to do? Is there a way to put it in “park” without applying the e-brake?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    milanojess and TheMayor like this.
  3. LCW

LCW Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    South Florida
    so just to recap - when coming off a hot lap on the track, press AUTO PARK until you see "PARK OFF" on the screen and then switch off the engine with 1st gear engaged. correct? I will try it next month when I go to the track.... :)

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Awesome post!

5. mas8002mi

mas8002mi Karting

Sep 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mahe
    But once u switch off the engine, it defaults to Park mode again???? right?

6. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    No, what you are talking about is a different device which locked the secondary shaft of the gearbox. The reason for this device is because, at rest, both clutches are open and so there is no link between the wheels and the engine.

This is not the e-brake. Pressing the Auto Park button allows to switch off the car without engaging the e-brake ... but the Park lock will engage and lock the gearbox preventing the car to move whatever it was in 1st, in N, or in any other gear.

milanojess likes this.
  7. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    If you disengage e-brake by pressing Auto Park (Park OFF) and switch off the engine while the gear is in N, the car will go into Car Was Mode, meaning it will freely move when pushed or parked on a not level surface

8. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    No car wash if you remove the key. To reach the car wash mode you need to put the key back in position II (without starting the engine) just after the switch OFF.

Melvok likes this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Which mode would you recommend for winter time storage? When you simply just turn the car off, does it also lock the drive train in 1st gear? Thank you Eric for these informative posts!

10. Ced357

Ced357 Karting

Jul 19, 2015
    Parkland FL
    Good to know. I tracked my Speciale recently and just did a couple of cool down laps and sat in the car in neutral for a while until I felt comfortable. Now this will make it much easy at the next track day.

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks for the great advice!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name: