Help with ordering 488 | FerrariChat

Help with ordering 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MedinaCustomClassics, Nov 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Going in this weekend to order new 488. White on nero with large white stitching. Would like to get everyone's thoughts on some of the options:

1. The CF LED Steering Wheel has been addressed in a previous thread, so I won't re-introduce
    2. Suspension Lift?
    3. AFS lighting?
    4.Rear parking camera?
    5. Luggage Set for Rear Bench?.............just kidding

Thanks.

2. 4574

4574 Karting

Jan 30, 2017
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Keith
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes (definitely)

The only thing I debated was the lifter. I typically buy used Ferraris and I look for the lifter but really question if I would purchase it on a new order. I have a 458 without and an F12 with. I use it on the F12 all the time just out of caution.

K

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Apart the first one, I did not select any of these options.
    Suspension lift: it adds weight, may be useful only depending on your driving environment
    AFS: globally useless IMHO
    Rear parking camera: you get parking sensors anyway, so the camera (which also adds weight :) ) may not be that interesting...
    Luggage sets: why not, could be a nice addition (and at least it would be of some use)

4. Az458

Az458 Karting

Apr 24, 2015
    Lifter great for resale Love AFS camera Yes especially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Those sound like great options - congrats on the new 488 :)

6. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    F2003-GA, I was asking if these are necessary or critical, ha. Sorry, should have been more clear.

7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    If you get the suspension lifter I believe AFS is mandatory.

No rear parking camera would be a deal breaker for me. It's becoming legally mandatory in the US anyways, and for good reason. Rearward visibility is not good, and if there's an object hiding back there, you can easily damage your diffuser on it.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It is mandatory. The headlights need to self adjust to the correct ride height.

What is SICKENING is Ferrari has the audacity to charge $3000+ for a rear camera that is just about standard on every car including a Camry today. Actual cost of the camera is less than $10.

9. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    I have the lifter on my FF, and have used it occasionally.

This 488 is for my son, and I'm trying to keep the cost down and only get the really critical options. His in and out of cars every couple of years :(

Keep the input coming, very appreciated......

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #10 TheMayor, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    I did not have the lifter on either of my 458's and didn't see the need.

The only reason would be you have an really bad driveway with a curb or something to get over. Otherwise, I never would have used it on a speed bump. I ran over some really tall ones and it did not bottom out at what you would call "normal speed bump speed'.

If you are saving money go with the standard wheels and a black interior. These are the cheapest. The CF wheel is nice and may be easier to resell as people like this feature. But it's not mandatory. Stay away from the fancy radio -- its a waste. And stay away from GPS. Your phone is better.

Another cost savings: standard seats (they actually look pretty good) with no electric motors (actually the racing seats are not motorized either), standard flat black brake calipers, standard headliner (its black), no cruise control, and put in the back up sensors but not the camera.

11. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    1. When accelerating hard, it is very difficult to watch the tach. The lights are very helpful. If any option is "mandatory," this is it.
    2. I have a lifter and use it often because I am in a hilly area. It depends on your area,
    3. AFS is mandatory with the lifter. If you don't get the lifter, AFS makes sense only if you do a lot of night driving on twisty or hilly roads, or if you live in a dark neighborhood.
    4. The rear sensors often do not detect curbs behind the car. You can back into a curb that will damage the rear diffuser without setting off the rear sensors. The camera will help if this is a scenario that is important to you.

12. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My build:

Bianco/Nero
    Goldrake seats
    Seat lifter (a nice option)
    White embroidered prancing horse (essential)
    Bianco racing stripes on seats (interior just pops)
    Bianco special stitching (same as above)
    Suspension lifter (must have and great for resale)
    AFS (required with suspension lifter - had it on my 458 but honestly can't speak to its usefulness)
    Ferrari shields (IMO an absolute must have)
    Yellow calipers (personal taste and must have for me)
    Dark gray forged wheels (forged wheels are a must)
    Sport exhaust (chrome just doesn't work; Ti is silly expensive)
    Front parking sensors (worthy investment - rear sensors are standard)
    Rear parking camera (essential IMO)
    Full optional mirrors (a great option and necessary to order with racing seats - would be standard with full electric seats) The inside non-auto-chromatic rear view mirror leaves something to be desired.
    Premium Audio System (I checked it out and it's great - every $300K+ car must have a great audio system)
    Upper passenger compartment and rear bulkhead in leather (nothing comes close to the quality of Ferrari leather)
    LED steering wheel sans CF - Absolutely essential and in keeping with the all leather interior motif, the wheel will be likewise covered in leather. That leaves the seat shells as the only CF components in the car; no choice if you want racing seats.

Other:
    No front parking camera, IMO too noticeable on a bianco car
    On the fence about the Passenger Display (Option code PDIS, MSRP $4,219 US). I'll expand in a new thread, don't want to hijack this one.

Good luck.

13. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    The Mayor and ViperJoe, thanks for the thought and supporting comments. Truly helpful!

14. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

A few other points: On the 2018 488 GTB, rear parking sensors, cruise control, navigation and satellite radio are all standard, no additional cost items. Also, the black tach (standard and also no additional cost) offers the greatest contrast and is actually visible in daylight. I had a white tach in my 458 and it was very dark in daylight - drove me nuts and one of the few things I REALLY disliked about the car.

15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    1- Yes. Its a must have
    2- I dont have it, never have once missed it.
    3- do not have it- never have once missed it
    4- Absolute must have in my opinion. Agree with Mayor its over priced but what in a Ferrari isn't?
    5 - sure- frivolous but what in a Ferrari isn't. :)

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    If it's for your son, and you are not likely to drive the car, you could forgo all options with exception to the lifter which should help preserve the car. He could always add what he wanted at a later stage....at his own expense.Ultimately it comes down to how far you are prepared to go to satisfy his likely expectations.

17. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    True, but they do have the labor involved in drilling the hole.......

Jim

SoCal to az likes this.
  18. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I ordered Daytona's with red inserts but almost went with the standard seats which are quite comfortable. Horse on the headrest is mandatory as every 488 I looked at had them. Naturally shields and LED on the steering wheel are a must. Standard wheels are quite good for standard. Homelink is a great option as to be able to not have garage door opener on a visor. Rear parking camera to me is an absolute with front and rear sensors. Colored thick stitching is nice but not necessary. Good luck and if your order is like mine, you might have a month to change some items before you are unable too. Take your time and have a blast!

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The only issue with homelink- I can’t get the darn thing programmed. Would love to eliminate the garage door opener on the visor but have been unsuccessful. ☹️

20. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I've had the same issue with a number of other vehicles. That aside, are the garage door opener buttons in the 488 conspicuous / unattractive?

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    never noticed it. Too busy driving and enjoying the car. Honestly, it would be nice if it worked but not a huge deal.

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    IMHO:

*1. The CF LED Steering Wheel has been addressed in a previous thread, so I won't re-introduce*
    I think if you do this then you should either do at least the driving zone in CF (good) or all the interior in CF (better) or- depending on your spec- have them wrap the LED area in leather and have no CF at all (best)- they will charge you for this though.

*2. Suspension Lift?*
    Yes- even if you never use it, it will help resale and the 1 time you need it, you'll be glad.

*3. AFS lighting?*
    I think you are required to get this with the lift, but similar to #2.

*4.Rear parking camera?*
    Super useful in any car but even more so in a mid engined car. Definitely get this. I could see cars without it having a more difficult time in resale.

23. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Totally agree. I had it on my 458 , but not on my 488, so now there are speed bumps and parking areas, I cannot get to. Those last 40mm on the lift can be a "life savior ", strongly recommend it..

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    To me the AFS system is a waste of money but you must take it with the lift. Over here it basically $10,000. Im just going to avoid speed bumps