Story of 250 GT Cabriolet s/n 0799 update | FerrariChat

Story of 250 GT Cabriolet s/n 0799 update

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by mariafaga, Nov 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mariafaga

mariafaga Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    Let me share some more and new documents about the import of Ferrari 0799GT in the US in December 1993.

As already discussed earlier, Mr. Onofrio “Frank” Triarsi (Classic Coach Repair Inc., NJ, USA) imported Ferrari 0799GT in 1993. He “bought” the car directly from the thief Gianni Meninno as Mr. Triarsi admitted in post #80 of the old chat. He received the car (together with two other stolen Ferraris) without any paperwork and with no titles!

The cars were shipped from Europe (Antwerp) to the US by Doron Sauer, C&K Auto Imports Inc., NJ, USA. When Doron Sauer received the stolen Ferraris without the proper paperwork, he realized the criminal background. Mr. Sauer became nervous and informed the police about the suspicious cars.

Read Mr. Sauer’s deposition in the lawsuit Hallingby vs. Roush & Barnes right here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5t1vfa9lhl5chr/01-18-11%20Sauer%20Deposition%20Transcript_1.pdf?dl=0

Mr. Sauer’s letter to the police and its analysis by the police can be downloaded right here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgnxvyo8dhukidu/suspicious%20letter%20of%20C%26K%20Imports%20Inc.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/685kr6brhmfl6gf/analysis%20of%20letter%20%28C%26K%20Imports%29.pdf?dl=0

Mr. Triarsi’s deposition can be downloaded here. This deposition proves that Mr. Triarsi is making business with criminals. Mr. Triarsi is a friend of Mr. Hallingby. Both knew very well about the theft of the car.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjql7y2gm1z019b/5-24-11%20Onofrio%20Triarsi%20Transcript%20%28Vol.%201%29%20%28PWAR0066%29_1.pdf?dl=0

2. claudinedubois

BANNED

Jul 1, 2013
    If someone buys such an exclusive car he checks its history carefully. It would be interesting to know, if Mr. Hallingby and Mr. Triarsi checked the history of 0799GT and how they did that…

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Read the actual depositions (this thread and the other one). Some answers may start to form.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. mariafaga

mariafaga Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    Mr. Triarsi did not check the history of 0799GT as his deposition proves. He does not care about the history of 0799GT at all, otherwise he would have asked Gianni Meninno (the thief) to provide titles and other (Swiss) ownership papers (an undertaking which might be a little bit difficult for a thief….).

Mr. Hallingby claims having checked the history of 0799GT through the aid of FBI agent Ken Crook. But this is not true. It’s a lie. On 29 October 2009 Mr. Hallingby stated in an affidavit (paragraph 6) following:

“To insure that I would acquire good title, Mr. Rosen and I enlisted the aid of FBI agent Ken Crook who specializes in checking the title of rare automobiles and locating those that truly have been stolen. I kept abreast of Mr. Crook’s investigation. He conducted numerous interviews, reviewed documents and engaged in a meticulous check of the Ferrari’s provenance. After his research, Mr. Crook advised Mr. Rosen and me that Mr. Rosen had good title to the Ferrari.”

For all those people who still think that Mr. Hallingby is an honest person who “accidentally” bought a stolen car, here is the definitive evidence of his manipulations and lack of credibility:

Attorney Oliver Weber, who is representing the victim and the real owner (Dr. Andreas Gerber from Pieterlen, Switzerland) checked Mr. Hallingby’s statement and contacted FBI agent Ken Crook who is retired now.

Mr. Crook writes in his response to Attorney Weber from 10 March 2010, that he does NOT KNOW Mr. Hallingby and Mr. Rosen at all!!

He further states:

“One thing I can tell you for certain is that I never told anyone that this or any other European vehicle was stolen or not stolen. All we could report is what had been reported to us. The FBI is simply not in a position to certify the theft status of vehicles stolen in Europe. We relied on Interpol and the appropriate European Law Enforcement agency to provide that information.”

Conclusion: Mr. Hallingby lied in his affidavit, which is also a crime (perjury)! Read Mr. Hallingby’s manipulated affidavit and Mr. Crook’s email. Judge by yourself about Mr. Hallingby’s credibility.

Download Mr. Hallingby’s affidavit here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/icccabyw9uzg1oa/Affidavit%20of%20Paul%20Hallingby%2010292009.pdf?dl=0

Download Mr. Ken Crook’s email here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jaswrd45axz8w9b/emails%20attorney%20oliver%20weber%20-%20ken%20crook%20march%202010.pdf?dl=0

5. claudinedubois

BANNED

Jul 1, 2013
    Thank you for these very interesting documents. But I have some more questions:
    What is happening with 0799 today? Where is it?
    And: Does Mr. Hallingby have other questionable cars or is 0799 the only one?

6. mariafaga

mariafaga Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    Mr. Hallingby tried to sell 0799GT through his dodgy friend Tom Papadopoulos from Autosport Designs Inc. in NY, USA. Mr. Papadopoulos knows the problematic history of 0799GT in detail. Nevertheless he tried to sell 0799GT to German car dealers. Of course the deal crashed when the Germans found out that the car is stolen.

Mr. Hallingby was in the possession of a REBUILD Ferrari 250 LM s/n 6045 (and not of the original car as he claims). In the Sports Car Market magazine (February 2009) Mr. Hallingby wrote a segment about his “1964 Ferrari 250LM with VIN6045”. He claims that the car was set on fire by a police flare (I'm from the government and I'm here to help you!). Mr. Hallingby writes that some years later, Richard Freshman found "most of the salvageable parts and began reconstruction".

All this is nonsense. Mr. Hallingby’s Ferrari 250 LM was not real and of course he knew about that. Not even the chassis was original (read paragraph #50 and 51 of the application for arrest warrant for more details). Mr. Hallingby sold his Ferrari 250LM to DK Engineering (England) in 2011.

Download Mr. Hallingby’s untrue article in Sports Car Market magazine here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i73umqo2h9tnw5b/Hallingby%27s%20faked%20Ferrari%20LM%20250%20sn%206045_2.pdf?dl=0

Download the arrest warrant application regarding Paul Hallingby here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3has5dmro9fj9i/hallingby%20arrest%20warrant%20application_1.pdf?dl=0

7. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    That's not quite true. The car was sold by Hallingby to Theo "Toby" Bean, via Nick Soprano's Motor Classic and Competition Corp. Bean then sold it on to DK Engineering sometime thereafter.

8. mariafaga

mariafaga Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    I have received further documents that I would like to share with you.

As Connecticut State Police found out, Paul Barney Hallingby (from Sharon CT / and New York NJ) knew for a long time that the Ferrari 0799GT is a stolen vehicle owned by a Swiss man.

The police officer in charge of the investigation was Richard Van Time. His statements on the criminal behaviour of Paul Barney Hallingby can be downloaded from the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ls6ntmyzonts1fu/01-11-11%20Van%20Tine%20Deposition%20Transcript.pdf?dl=0

I found out that the old link with the statements of Nick Soparano (Hallingby's questionable friend) no longer works. The statements and contradictions of Nick Soprano regarding Ferrari 0799GT can be downloaded from the following link again:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fldf3ge5tww35i/01-25-11%20Soprano%20Deposition%20Transcript.pdf?dl=0

9. mariafaga

mariafaga Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    This manipulative article was already discussed in the old chat. It's nothing new. It was part of Mr. Hallingby's PR campaign at that time to cover up his problematic activities in the Ferrari community.

Contrary to the SCM magazine Connecticut State Police is neutral and objective. The depositions of officer Richard Van Tine show how thoroughly Connecticut State Police investigated the case of the stolen Ferrari 0799GT.

And let's keep in mind the conclusion of Connecticut State Police in the arrest warrant application against Paul Barney Hallingby, which was:

Based on the aforementioned facts and circumstances, and the Affiant’s training and experience, Probable Cause exists to believe that Paul “Barney” Hallingby DOB: 11-11-46 possessed the 1958 Ferrari bearing VIN 0799GT on September 4th, 2008 and that he knew the vehicle was stolen. The vehicle was located in his undocumented garage at his residence located at 32 Kings Hill Road in Sharon, CT. The Affiant respectfully requests the authority to arrest Paul “Barney” Hallingby DOB: 11-11-46 for the crime of Larceny I (C.G.S. 53a-122)

see paragraph 85 of the arrest warrant application:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3has5dmro9fj9i/hallingby%20arrest%20warrant%20application_1.pdf?dl=0

Christian.Fr likes this.
  10. mariafaga

mariafaga Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    For all who want to know more about the history of the Ferraris 0799GT, the following website offers a lot of interesting information:
    www.stolenferrari.is
    The special thing about this website is that all historical facts are documented with numerous papers and photographs. It should also be clear for once and for all that Paul Barney Hallingby possesses a stolen vehicle, of which he is aware.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Sharon is right up the road.

Want me to swing by ? ;)

12. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Holy smokes! This guy Hallingby still has the car?? What happened with his arrest?

13. mariafaga

mariafaga Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    Mr. Paul "Barney" Hallingby obtained a judgement from the Connecticut District Court in April 2018. According to this judgement he is allegedly the owner of the car. This judgement is a farce and was made in violation of international law which is why Dr. Andreas Gerber (the Swiss victim and owner of Ferrari 0799GT) did not engage in this procedure. The judgment of the Connecticut District Court does not have any serious legal effect and will not have any impact on the theft-status of the car outside of Connecticut.

Ferrari 0799GT is on the active list of Interpol and is internationally sought for. Despite the international search of the car, Paul Hallingby is trying to sell Ferrari 0799GT via his friends Tom Papadopoulos (Autosport Designs Inc.) and Nick Soprano (Motor Classic & Competition Corp). By assisting Paul Hallingby in selling the car, they commit the crime of larceny.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  14. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I always wonder why Ferrari Fchat do not propose a open and active list of all car stollen. Mods?

Your historic is very miticulous, exhaustive and very well documented.

As far as I know, Marbella is the wrong place in Spain.

Ferrari can be real nightmare for some people.

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. mariafaga

mariafaga Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    That's a good suggestion! A list of all the stolen Ferraris on Ferrarichat would serve transparency and the victims. Such a list would certainly make it more difficult to sell stolen vehicles, which is in the interests of the victims.

Marbella was a real gangster place in the 1980s and 1990s. The Italian mafia was very active in Spain at the time. The judges of Marbella (for example Pilar Ramirez) were highly corrupt at the time and had direct links to organised crime. The mayor of Marbella (Jesus Gil y Gil) was also corrupt and was removed from office. No wonder Dr. Andreas Gerber (the victim) had no chance to recover his stolen Ferrari 0799GT.

Corruption in Marbella is well documented under the following links:

http://stolenferrari.is/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/19-report-on-corruption-in-Marbella-Spain-including-translations-of-Spanish-evidence-documents-concerning-corruption.pdf

http://stolenferrari.is/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/20-evidence-documents-and-Spanish-newspaper-articles-relating-to-report-on-corruption-in-Marbella-Spain.pdf

http://stolenferrari.is/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/21-structure-of-the-Ramirez-Group-Family-Holding-a-criminal-organization-in-Marbella-Spain.pdf

Christian.Fr and turbo-joe like this.
  16. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    It s always a not recommended place. Many people are interested by Puerto Banús, or Soto Grande But finally, it s full of "gangsters".

The thing is, there s nothing in representation, no events, no prestigous auctions, in this country.
    Change the dynamic, and I m pretty sure
    most of cars will emerged from private collection.

Time are changing, hope in correct way.
    It will be long, but very positive.

17. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    PM/ Conversation sent

Christian.Fr likes this.
  18. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Regardless of the strength of a US government prosecution case against Hallingby, was it not accepted by the US authorities that the car is stolen since 1991, long before any involvement by Hallingby?

Why did the US authorities release the seized car back to Hallingby after Stepember 2008? was the car seized between 2008 and 2018?

What is the legal impediment that stops the Swiss owner from seizing the car in America?

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  19. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I flicked through the criminal file. I see.

20. bhallingby

bhallingby Rookie

May 16, 2008
    Sharon, CT
    Full Name:
    Barney Hallingby
    I hate to spoil the party, but it is time to take the punch bowl away. The attached press release details the recent U.S. Federal District Court decision, decisively declaring Hallingby the owner of 0799 GT and denying any right of ownership to the former Swiss owner. The press release will lead you to a website which accurately depicts the legal history (including relevant legal documents), presents a history of ownership, a bit about the owner and lots of pix. As well you can follow the story on Twitter and Instagram (#0799GT). Happy you all have had such a good time with this story, but it is time to bring it to a close. This is all about legal decisions of which here have now been 5 in total- all of which the Swiss have lost. This is not about innuendo and newspaper allegations. GAME OVER!

Attached Files:

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  21. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Good stuff, thanks for posting and I hope you enjoy driving your fantastic car.

22. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    All this tells me is you got a default judgment against Gerber in CT because he did not show up. It's also kind of funny that you refer to your own press release in the third person.

According to Gerber the courts in Spain were kangaroo courts. Is that possible? I would say yes. Sounds like your position is the car was sold, just not paid for, and that is a civil matter. That's how you rationalize it.

I doubt this is over. If you truly believe you are on firm legal ground you should show it next year at Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este. But I highly doubt we will see this car in Europe any time soon.

Nembo1777 and davidoloan like this.