Thoughts on "Bring a Trailer" | FerrariChat

Thoughts on "Bring a Trailer"

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by davenichols, Nov 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davenichols

davenichols Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 8, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm curious to know if anyone else has bad experiences with 'Bring A Trailer" from a sellers point of view.
    I have a 2005 Aston Martin Vanquish S(one of only 1086 ever produced) that I want to sell, and wanted to use them for listing it. I have had them reject the car based on the reserve I wanted to set on it. I pointed out to them that the same car with an interior change just sold on their website for $7500 less then my suggestion for a reserve (taking into account a non-original interior, including a colour change). After a couple of emails back and forth, they were able to get me to drop my reserve price by $25,000, which still was not enough. They want me to reduce my reserve by a total of $42,000!!!!! I guess it just makes it easier for them to pick up their $5000 buyers fee from any buyer if it sells?

Add in that some emails were not even returned by some of their staff members, and I'm not too happy with these guys.

Has anyone else had problems trying to list their cars on BaT? I have heard they "work" everyone on their reserve price. Has anyone experienced that?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Look in the 308/328 section for a current BAT thread there.

3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    There is at least one other thread regarding BaT.
    Suggest you search for it, you'll see several of us have had similar experiences.

4. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Their customer experience leaves a lot to be desired. That said, I sold two cars there and I don't believe I could have easily duplicated the strong sales prices elsewhere. That said, BaT works for some cars better than others. I don't think it's a great place to list a late-model Aston, for example.

LARRYH and killer58 like this.
  5. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    BaT is confusing to me. On one hand they offer rare/unique cars that are amazing, then sometimes they sell salvage title not super special cars in need of some sometimes serious maintenance.

Their customer "service" makes me bang my head into the wall. I ranted in another thread how I tried to sell one of my cars and it was randomly rejected. I asked why and if there was something I could do to sell it and got zero response.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and a car similar (make/model/year) to mine is up for sale with higher miles, less options, history of three accidents plus a branded title. It sold for damn good money.

Followed up again trying to figure out how this car was able to get in and mine still wasn't and still have zero reply.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    BaT was nice early on, but once it became more mainstream it lost its uniqueness imo. They seem to only care about pushing as much through as they can at least from my perspective as a spectator.

Maybe try Ebay classifieds to get more views? No need to sell through them, but people can contact you on there and you'll have a larger audience.

rcnyc and tonyswfla like this.
  7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My thoughts exactly.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I bought a car there, and had a very positive experience. As far as I know, the seller of my car was happy as well. But it was more in the "unusual" category as opposed to a late model used car.

I think it works well for enthusiast cars which need exposure to a national market.

330 4HL likes this.
  9. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    They will beat you up on reserve, but 9 times out of 10 your car will sell. I sold 5 cars on BAT this past summer, all easy transactions. 1 higher than expected (Porsche Cayman GT4), 4 lower than expected (964, 348, SLS AMG, Boxster Spyder). Since then (early summer) market has trended down on all 4 cars so I would say it was market correct at the time.

330 4HL and Texas Forever like this.
  10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    some makes models really bring strong money there.

I'm recently noticing them list multiple offerings of the same models at the same time. I would be pissed as a seller.

I purchased an 88 m3 of the site and was generally please (sans the 5% commission) but i think the offerings / chat /commentary lend an air of confidence with the bidders and bring in more $$$

Going to list an 88 M5 on the site as I think it is the best site for that make

11. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Two good points. Totally agree!

12. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    I enjoy reading the comments posted (both informed and humorous.) I have been exposed to several cars I didn't know I couldn't live without (I now have an E38 sport for my rust-belt/winter driver - ho boy is it nice to drive a V8 sedan again!)

What I don't enjoy come in two categories; a) the knuckleheads that just tear down/into a seller/car for sport (i.e. unsubstantiated claims; guilty until proven innocent) and b), the sellers that are either flipping or selling for someone else. This second item drives me nuts because it gives the seller plausible deniability around issues a car may have but they "don't know" about. I suppose that may lead to a car being sold for less (i.e. who would pay up for questionable cars?) What I worry about is the less educated gearhead that buys their first car and gets taken.

On balance, I enjoy the site for entertainment and educational experiences. I don't think I'd sell my pride and joy there unless I could dictate the terms - which I can't.

13. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I’ve sold two cars on BaT. Generally pleased with the final outcome, but agree with many of the critiques above. For the most part, their staff is young, inexperienced, and undermanned. They will press hard for no reserve or a very low reserve. If you know the market and have a realistic view of your car relative to the market, you will probably do OK. If you can’t reach an agreement, just wait a few weeks and try again.

330 4HL and Texas Forever like this.
  14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Do a search.

They are only OK with sellers. But cars do get sold.

I wouldn't sell a very high-end car there. I did well with an M3 convertible, and only OK with an MG TD. Meaning I sold both with easy transactions.

They didn't list things exactly the way I would have. They edit your content.

But following their taking pictures advices results in awesome car photography!
    https://bringatrailer.com/bat-photography-10-tips-for-making-better-photos-of-your-car/

Matt

15. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  16. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    My understanding is that they beat you up on the reserve so they can exercise their option to purchase the car themselves.

I’m interested in this thread as I’m possibly going to use them to sell a first gen NSX (3.0 liter, targa, five speed)

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    If it’s a really clean car that photographs well, BaT would be a great venue for it.

Or the classified here.

Matt

18. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    They don't "beat you up" on reserve, they are just realistic and most car sellers think their cars are worth a lot more and it would be a waste of time of an auction if it was priced too high.

I've sold a few cars on there and have had great experiences overall- you have to be diligent and treat the auction almost like a full time job for the 7 days - be very detailed, list every issue so no one can call you out and make videos and many pics.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I tried to get my Ginetta listed there several years ago, but no dice. Not even a reply. As a very rare car with a low price it would have seemed to be a good fit. I'm not a fan of their site as a seller, and as an observer it has gotten less interesting with the high volume of cars, and seemingly endless availability of some typical cars they sell. Occasionally an interesting auction catches my eye.

:)
    BT

Tony K likes this.
  20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I’ve been rejected by BAT now 4 straight times…3 cool unique no reserve parts, and now a certainly viable car. I think my days with them are over? Not sure why I’m on the reject list, but I’m done there. Had some nice experiences…years ago.

21. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    My take is that as their business model has changed, so has their clientele. I very seldom even open up their daily morning emails anymore.

22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I had very good experiences with BAT .. I think their format is excellent with the adding 2 minutes if there is a bid in the last 2 minutes .. At the same time they did ask me to put a low reserve on the car . The sales price exceeded that reserve by 50% .. . I also purchased a car from the site this summer...
    customer service lacks in that there is no one to call but once you get past that there area zero fees to the seller (other than $250) and only 5k to the seller and they offer a great audience....
    I like it

330 4HL likes this.
  23. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Same here. Got rejected when I tried to sell my ZR1.

24. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    you did great Larry, congrats! So had I for years with multiple sales and then I was just shut out. I did send a note to them with my last submission, and they rejected me instantly and said that’s the way it is

25. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Bat is such a great business model, I’m unsure it hasn’t contributed to the upswing in prices on many types of cars.

henryr likes this.