TR Fuse Box Solution Question | FerrariChat

TR Fuse Box Solution Question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by James Bowie, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James Bowie

James Bowie Rookie

Nov 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Bowie
    I have trawled through numerous threads on this subject and have a question.

From what I have read, the fundamental problem appears to be that the OEM pins on blocks J, K, X and Y associated with the high current circuits for A/C control, radiator fans, and fuel pumps become loose/oxidized over time and the consequential high resistance connections lead to overheating and burning, with the possibility of solder connections melting, too.

Looking at the two commercial solutions, I note that the GT Car Parts product replaces the OEM multi-sheet flexible printed circuit boards with a modern fiberglass equivalent in a single board. This board is substituted for the original flexible PCB.

The alternative product from Scuderia Rampante (aka the Helms solution) adds 6 replacement relays to the back of the fuse box, replacing/bypassing 6 OEM relays and provides new fuses for those six circuits, too. This procedure is done to an existing fuse box, with any other necessary repairs carried out at the same time.

My question about both products is this: As they don’t appear -- from what I can see in available photos -- to replace the OEM pins and associated female blade plugs with better ones, how do they prevent the fundamental poor contact problem from reoccurring over time?

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Dear James,
    The 3e solution : the motherboards I make....they have thicker board, bigger connectors for fuses, relais and wires ! So that problem is solved...also much cheaper then the ones you mention. There are more then 70 boards installed on different Ferraris as : TR, testarossa, all mondials, 328, 400i, 412 and F40.
    Feel free to contact me : [email protected] or you can find more info on : http://redbaycars.com/remanufactured/ferrari%20parts.html
    There you find also an instalation manual.
    Guido

sinkman likes this.
  3. James Bowie

James Bowie Rookie

Nov 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Bowie
    Thank you Guido. Not sure how I missed your product in my reading. I like the way it addresses the connector size issue, both male and female.

What's 'behind the curtain', so to speak? Does it use a PCB, or point-to-point wiring?

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    SC does not adress that problem imo, just takes the bad guys out ...

Other solution with new pcb boards may use new contacts.

There is a "gold connector set" available at SC (? am I correct here) which gives you all connectors in the Testarossa.

Not cheap but it is a peventive option. Often applied here ...

Who wants to chime in ?

5. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    James , no hocus pocus with my boards...direct point to point connections with 2.5mm2 electric wires, double solder pins on each connector. See picture of a F40 bord backside.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    You find all in the installation manual on Redbay : http://redbaycars.com/onewebmedia/Manuals/Installation%20manual%20Fuse%20Box.pdf
    Gold connectors sets are not needed...just waste of money. It want help a golden connector if the connections surface is to small.
    All the connectors I use are made in the USA and Switzerland. They can be adjusted (to put more pression on the round lips) if needed in the future. With the OEM this is not possible. Also my boards can be repaired in case something went wrong...OEM also impossible. Things only get worse once problems starts.
    Guido

6. enzo52

enzo52 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Paris
    Full Name:
    Depensadie Seraphin
    The best investment on my car whas Guido's fuseboard. Works great since 9 years. And I'm shure Guido improved his boards over the years !
    A happy owner, Enzo52

EZORED likes this.
  7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Tell us Guido please !

8. James Bowie

James Bowie Rookie

Nov 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Bowie
    #8 James Bowie, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Thanks for the photo of the rear of the board.

Just to be clear, in my turn of phrase I wasn't implying any hocus pocus in regard to anyone's post-OEM solution.

Gold connectors are usually only of benefit when the connectors are subject to removal and replacement on a non-infrequent basis, such as the case with some PCB cards in electronic equipment. In any case, in order to be fully beneficial, both male and female connectors would need to be gold.

However, I note in the instructions, you say:

"17. Cut the old connectors from all cables and force the new gold plated forks on the cables."

... so there seems to be a contradiction.

9. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido

James you are right : gold plated should be "gold colored forks" those connectors that are delivered with my board. A mistake by the translator. Will be corrected !
    I upload also a picture of the tr backside Image Unavailable, Please Login board.
    Guido

10. James Bowie

James Bowie Rookie

Nov 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Bowie
    Thanks for clearing up that point.

I think they are what we would know as 6.3mm Brass Crimp Terminal Female Spade Connectors.

11. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    James,
    Thats the correct English name. I order them from https://www.vogt.ch....good quality last longer. I send always 10 extra connectors in case of error or bad crimp.
    It's NOT a plug and play sistem. The white plastic plugs have to be cut for every 90 degrees turned connector. A job of 2 hours with dremel or similar tool.
    Every one can instal this board...you just need to be patience and be shure the wires are not mixt up.
    Guido

12. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Did you make one for the 512TR yet?

13. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Hi, Joseph,
    Stefan of Redbay did buy a 456 lately and I have to check if that fusebox has the same constalation as for 512 new model fuseboard. I allready have the wiring diagram for 512, just need the exact measurments of the connector positions. This will happen only when I'm back in Belgium (after may 2018).
    Thanks for being patience !!
    Guido

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    512 .... BB! or 512TR Guido ?

May be exactly the same as 456 ....

15. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Mel, 512 TR....de grondplaat is hetzelfde als testarossa, alleen vershillen de opstelling van connector rijen. Ook 456 heeft dezelfde grondplaat als 512TR, doch misschien een ander bedradingsschema. Ik moet dat nakijken na mei 2018. Ben zoals ieder jaar in het zuidelijk halfrond te vinden. Dat het overwinteren geloof ik,
    Guido

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Niet helemaal Guido, alle connectoren van de 512TR zijn compleet anders dan die van een Testarossa !!

Ik weet niet hoe de connectors 456 er uitzien ...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hey theunissenguido and melwok
    we write here in this section in english, not netherlands

I translated your writing theunissenguido and I see you do it like me: in wintertime going where it is warm :)

Melvok likes this.
  18. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Indeed Mel;
    The colored plastic connector holders on 512TR OEM boards use the same big female connectors with the wires as I do with my boards. Its just a question of position of the male connectors on the board itself....all others connectors for fuses and relais I can use the same like with my boards.
    512TR and testarossa boards have the same square external dimensions.....
    Guido

19. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Yes smart of us ! But we have in mind all those who stay behind in the cold. For the moment 32 C and clear blue sky.:cool:

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    here just now about 4°C. have to wait until new year to leave
    where are you during the european wintertime? argentina? brasil? when I see it right
    my problem is not speaking spain

21. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I'm in Bresil for the moment about 180 km north of Rio (Armaçao dos Buzios). And yes, you have to speak Spanish because there are more Argentinas (nos) living here then Brazilian people. Portugues is the main language in Brasil...There are also several Deutscher living here during winter in Europe. Sag nichts zu den Steuern !
    Guido.

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ha ha ... Guido .... :D

23. leslie_choo

leslie_choo Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Guido , I could not send you a private msg form this forum , don’t know why . But I have sent you an email with regards to my Testarossa 91 RHD fuse box . Pls check .. thanks !

24. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Did you find my "start conversation"....Greetings, Guido

25. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mine isn't as pretty but it didn't cost me anything except 80 hours of work. I did this about 15 years ago and I've only had to repair 1 solder joint in that time. Image Unavailable, Please Login