18 inch Campagnolo wheels | Page 2 | FerrariChat

18 inch Campagnolo wheels

Discussion in '206/246' started by Telaio, Oct 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Kevin,

This is an amazing project for what you are using it for. I know other sizes have been made, but the 18" really seems to big, visually, for me. However, I am really curious to know how a "Regular" Dino feels on 18" wheels, does it alter the turning experience?

Shawn

2. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Freeman, many thanks ............ yes the wheels have turned out beautifully. In the end we went for 17 inch wheels, as you know it's all a trade off in order to combine a graceful rendition with strength and bodywork / chassis clearances. As these wheels are destined for a special project using Ferrari 360 style brakes we have cast in extra metal to the inside of the central mounting lug in order to give us some machining tolerance for adjustment of the wheel offset. As for 16 inch wheels ........... I need to talk to our pattern makers / foundry to see if we could adapt our existing tooling, as you know this is where the major expense is incurred. I'll keep you posted, cheers as ever, Kev.

3. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Shawn, please see my earlier reply to Freeman ............ as for the driving experience, in our case the larger wheels are but a part of a greater package with modern adjustable suspension, re-enforced wishbones and modern tyres with power steering make for a totally different experience, cheers Kev.

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Kevin,

I am torn between the view that you are completely changing the character of an automotive icon and so should be shot at dawn for gross vandalism, and that what you are doing is merely what might have been done by way of development by Ferrari if, instead of replacing the Dino with the 308, they had gone the route Porsche did with the 911, i.e. one of continuous development. Maybe this makes you the Henry Pearman of the Dino world!! :)

Your version of the Dino is not for me (I like mine, which is a tribute to your restoration skills), but I can see why you and others might want to go in the direction you are taking - I guess there's room for both schools of thought. Good luck!

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Kevin,

My dream would be to have upgrades that are so discreet that you have to look twice to notice them such as your Jenvey/Motec TBI. I love that it visually looks stock with a stock air box. That’s why I asked about a 16” version of the Campys. I wonder what brakes would fit with those? What’s your thoughts on the gearbox?

The Dino really is the 911 of Ferrari. I love that we’ve come far enough to discuss and share ideas that enhance your driving experience.

Freeman

-K1- likes this.
  6. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    #31 Telaio, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2017
    No worries Bluebottle, no Dinos' have been been permanently harmed in the course of our labours and I rarely venture out at dawn ;-} Please know that for us, this project is the most challenging and satisfying project we have ever carried out ( and that's saying something bearing in mind that I've now been working in this industry for close to 55 years and have been fortunate enough to be entrusted with the repair or restoration four Ferrari 250 Gtos' and just about every major classic car ever made. Even the 700 plus Bhp F40 LMs we restored don't come close due to the fact that whilst we improved the car's immeasurably we were in fact following well worn furrow and the outcome was predictable ........... For this project we have developed what will be a fully developed and integrated package, a powerful Ferrari 328 engine which is bored and stroked to increase capacity and fires up on all 8 cylinders seemingly before a single revolution of the crankshaft hot or cold !!!!!
    Also fitted is modern fully adjustable suspension, adjustable twin master cylinder 360 brakes, power steering, air conditioning, fly by wire throttle and hydraulic clutch, custom cast 17 inch Campagnollo style wheels ............ the Motec ECU memorises the engine's resting position so that it has all the necessary information to ensure that most welcome immediate engine start; also by using coil over pencil HT system we will be able to monitor individual fueling and ignition timing plus pre-ignition can be monitored. Incidentally, we just ran the engine on Friday for the first time ( check it out on ( mototechnique's Instagram page) and my heart rate went through the roof; it was that "tingly time" !!!!!!!! This project is an evolution of my own Outlaw Dino which took 12 years to build and develop as a back burner job, I'm sure you'll realise packaging all this kit so that it is all installed so that it looks like it grew there in such a confined space has taken much planning not to mention the skills of a dedicated band of extremely clever staff. If you're still not convinced .......... Please feel free to pop in a see for yourself, cheers one and all, Kev.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi again Freeman, Superformance sell an upgraded Dino brake kit ( we have used parts of this system recently as it features neat rear calipers with an inbuilt handbrake mechanism, however we used Ferrari 360 Brembo front calipers mounted with custom hanger brackets, also we fitted larger front disks.

As for gearbox we have used a fully re-build 328 transmission ........... does this answer your questions OK ? have a great weekend, cheers Kev.

8. SC52

SC52 Rookie

Oct 5, 2013
    Hi Kev,
    Looking and sounding good!
    Can't wait to see the car with the new wheels on.
    Cheers,
    Simon

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Kevin,

I love your creativity! I never thought a 328 transmission bolted right up!

Freeman

10. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Cheers Freeman, kind words indeed. Yes, whilst Italians may have a reputation for excited hand waving their engineering practices follows very sound principles; the 328 gear selector and drive shaft locations lay in exactly the same positions as the 246 Dino, there's a bit of fiddling with the transmission mounts but no big deal, The tricky work is routing all the fuel and water pipes in such a compact area whilst minimising heat soak ............ happily we are are on top of all this due to experience gained with my Outlaw Dino. Cheers Kev.

Attached Files:

11. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Simon, after that video was shot for Instagram we ran her up to 5000 revs and the exhaust note takes on a whole different chilling resonance !!!!! I'll make another vid later next week. We have some tidying up to do and then we will be heading for the dyno so stand by, cheers Kev.

SC52 likes this.
  12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Kevin,

I just want to clarify...a 328 gearbox will bolt up to a 246 motor? The image shows a 328 motor.

My real question is, what would you do to a 246 Dino gearbox to make it more suitable for high performance duty so you can shift up and down quickly?

I’m imagining a package with your Jenvey/Motec TBI set up, 16” Campys and higher performance brakes. A set up that is confident on the road and track but basically looks stock.

Freeman

13. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Thanks! Do you have any personal experience with the setup? Does the install require machining?

Freeman

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Straight cut gearboxes are insanely loud and their performance advantages are best suited to outright racing where ear plugs are part of the driver's equipment. The Colotti setup is super cool from a performance standpoint but just compromises too much for a car you would ever drive on the road.

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Here’s the response I received from Colotti:

Dear Mr Freeman,
    in the attached pictures you can see the composition of the kit.
    The T.202 kit is not ready for stock, the cost to build one with the preferred ones is € 9,850.00 + VAT + shipping cost.
    There is no work on the original box and the cost of assembly is Euro 1,500.00 + VAT.
    Best regards
    Marco Colotti

Attached Files:

17. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Guys.

I've done some major and minor editing/deleting here.

Discussions about the project are fine, discussions about the sale or purchase of the proposed wheels is not.

The OP would need to subscribe and post in the classifieds for that, or you guys can take it to PM, but commercial posts here are a TOU violation.

Thanks,

Dave

18. SC52

SC52 Rookie

Oct 5, 2013
    Hi Kev,
    Any updates / photos / videos?
    Cheers,
    Simon

19. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Team, please know that the David Lee 3.6 Evo Dino which we just built in conjunction with Andy Cohen of Beverly Hills is completed and shaken down, the car is now back in the USA so watch out for it ............. It's been a fantastic project which we have greatly enjoyed, many thanks to all involved, please see my attached photos, cheers and kindest regards, Kev.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Kev,

That looks lovely and presumably goes like stink! What are the wheel / tyre sizes?

21. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    It most certainly is and it most certainly does !!!!!! forget the Bhp on tap, this car has so much torque and good manners it's a joy to drive, negotiating mini roundabouts in 5th gear at 750 revs and sweetly pulling away with out flustering or hesitation.The platform is stiff but compliant whether driving around town or on the limit .......... Air conditioning / Fly by wire throttle operation / power steering / hydraulic clutch operation all a breeze and every single action is harmonious; shame to see her go ;-{
    As for wheel sizes, we experimented with 16 and 18 inch sizes and found that the 17 inch wheel size worked best from practical and ascetic point of views giving better tyre to chassis clearances than a standard Dino. The tyre sizes are Pirelli P zero 225 / 45 / 17 front and 225 / 50 / 17 rear. Hope this infos helps, cheers all, Kev.

22. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    I had the pleasure of riding in Kevin's red outlaw 246GTS and it is the dog's 'nads, not just the functionality of the upgrades, but also the aesthetics of how it's all put together. And 100% reversible. MT is just an awesome shop; they also make a great cup of tea.
    John in CT.

Daytonafan likes this.
  23. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    I completely agree. I have a "LeMans" spec MGA Twin Cam with race motor. It had straight cut gears for years and I couldn't take it anymore. Installed a Ford t9 gearbox and love it. It is better in everyday (and I don't get headaches from the whine).

jts