Intermittent Brake failure on 458 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Intermittent Brake failure on 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by eberro, Jul 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Very scary, and surprising that with all the reports of this issue people are still experiencing the problem. I no longer care to practice, but can say with reasonable certainty that not being able to find the problem will not be a good defense in the event of lawsuit, there are just too many reports (I assume dealers have been notified by those experiencing the problem, posting in this Forum would not be proper notice as Ferrari is not required to follow forum comments).

Jim

2. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Although I haven't experienced this personally, I mentioned the issue to my local Ferrari dealer service dpt. They looked at me like I had 5 heads. The issue raised in this thread has me so concerned, I'm thinking about selling my 458.

3. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Not sure I would sell, this is not a problem experienced by all owners. Neither I, nor any of my other 458 owner friends have encountered the problem, but this should still be investigated further by F.

Jim

Morgan72301 likes this.
  4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Your problem was traced to a cause- bubbles in the lines.
    This is not the same as when no mechanical problem can be identified. Then things like driver error and ABS software glitches do make sense.

I would like to know more about Eberto’s 458, Was this a car which he owned from new. Or was this a car that had multiple owners. Is Ebero an experienced track driver who is familiar with brake over heating (No offense implied)

Also what did Ebertos service center conclude? Did they do a careful inspection? What was the brake pad thickness and how did the rotors look

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Which mode were you driving in ? Race or Sport? And were you in Auto or manual shift?

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Were you driving in Auto or manual shift mode? What was the manettino set to? Wet, Sport, or Race?

7. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    are you guys left foot braking and simultaneously pressing the gas too? Porsche has had an issue with this for those that left foot brake.

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Can’t remember but almost always use the manual mode. Could have been in ice or comfort mode, there is no race mode only sport or ESC off.

An instructor (Barry?) made a comment earlier about it happening on occasions during his instruction but it always ended up being the driver unknowingly pressing the throttle at the same time. That would be very unusual for me and pretty sure (like 90%) my issue wasn’t driver error. But, we all have to accept that there is a theoretical possibility for this to be driver error in at least some of the reported cases, even on this thread. And that must apply to my incident too.

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    These mechanics we not of any dealer, were factory guys, accompaniing the 458 Challeneg series at Hockenheim.

They know .... are the best mechanis I have ever seen ...

My system was very hot after 10 laps full spead whenever possible. All brakes hot, all tyres very hot and perfectly sticking on the tarmac.

All 8 laps after those 10 laps I had this braking problem at exactly the same point, at a hairpin # 6 (rhs).

From #2 to that corner we drove at 240 km/h ....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Macki

Macki Rookie

Oct 3, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Thats normal fading duo to too much temperature in your brakepads. its completely normal on hockenheim GP Circuit. happens to almost every car at the exact same place (only the numbers of laps till it happens changes)
    hockenheim is such a brake-killer. also kills your left front tire like theres no tomorrow

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Simon, with fading, it takes a while to cool down.

In my case it was in 5 seconds ... ech time ther ... so NOT fading at all ... (as also the Italian Challenge engineers acknowledged so)

But ... I love that track ... absolute my favorite :D

Are you from there ?

12. Macki

Macki Rookie

Oct 3, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Simon
    so your brakepedal felt completely normal on the next braking? so infront of the mercedes arena, after that fast right hand bend?
    that is, indeed, interesting.

yes, hockenheim is nice to learn how to drive.especially if you are new to a car or new on racetracks at all.
    it is easy to drive, but hard to drive fast/the limit of the car!
    the corners are so important because of the long fullthrottle parts after it. also the braking is important, because you brake from high speed all the way down on a lot of corners as well. every small error in the corners you will pay on the straights, braking early you will certanly see at your laptimes.

yes, i am quite close to the hockenheimring. but i prefere nürburgring (both, nordschleife and GP track). Spa is also a absolut fabulous track
    i have driven a couple of thousands, if not tenthousand+ kilometers on the hockenheimring. Both with various street and racecars.
    sadly never with a ferrari. but this is to be changed as soon as my ordered 488gtb arrives ;)

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Exactly that Simon !

After the RHS turning after 50 mtrs all O.K. again ...

Please tell us here when your Horse has arrived ... :D

14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hope he or she was ok. How long ago?

15. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    ~2 years ago....was a brutal day at COTA. I think there were 5 wrecks, thankfully everyone walked away.

16. lee2468

lee2468 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    I have asked my Ferrari main dealer to notify the customer care manager at Ferrari North Europe of this issue so hopefully it will get some visibility!

MalibuGuy and Afonsolaw like this.
  17. Pocty

Pocty Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip Octave
    Great Post, I've also driven the Nurburgring many times in my 458 and its so much faster than my 996 GT3 RS I must add that I didn't get any brake fade in my 458....touch wood.

Pocty

Melvok likes this.
  18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Since some reported brake failure occurs with non over heated brakes, Ferrari should investigate.

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    But please keep all our warnings in your head Philip !

Pocty likes this.
  20. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I never usually post ih this forum but I will actively educate people on this known 458 issue as it scared me enough times to dump the car. Even after they replaced $12K worth of parts I still got rid of it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, same as my friend here in Sydney. Never drove it again after brake fail, especially after they said "nothing wrong with brakes". Now he has a Mac.

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Understandable ...but unsatisfactory imo ... never to know why ...

22. cityvibe

cityvibe Rookie

Aug 26, 2004
    #97 cityvibe, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Ok guys, First and foremost I don't want anyone to get hurt so it's time to end this discussion once and for all.

I am posting a copy of the repairs performed.

Luckily, the dealer was able to replicate the problem on a road test. When does that ever happen? Lucky me.

Issue: Brake booster faulty. They also replaced the master cylinder.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. cityvibe

cityvibe Rookie

Aug 26, 2004
    If you search the threads there are way too many people who have experienced this problem.

I personally almost died in my 458 because of this issue.

Is the 458 a widowmaker?

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    No, it's not a widowmaker imo. At least not that WE here know of ...

20.000 458 cars were produced ... few hundred problems mentionned ... of which each one is unacceptable.

Statistically it's nothing to the Factory; but it is to us ! :eek:

25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Has this issue occurred in any of the Speciale variants of the 458????