Current exhaust manifold and exhaust box wisdom | FerrariChat

Current exhaust manifold and exhaust box wisdom

Discussion in '206/246' started by Mark Shannon, Nov 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    I have to replace both the manifolds on my UK E Series and maybe the box as well.

Please recount your experiences of the various different suppliers, problems with fitting, noise etc.

Mark

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Mark,

Carrs in Exeter had a local exhaust fabricator make up a complete new stainless system front to back for me using my original Ansa system for a pattern. It looks very close in terms of appearance and sounds almost identical. It cost significantly less and bolts straight on with no issues I believe. I've had this system fitted to all my Dinos. Give Mark Ware a call there for pricing as it around 3 years since I had my last one fitted. A couple of fellow Dino owners who use Carrs also had this system fitted and are more than pleased with it. All you need to finish it off is a set of Ansa stickers from Parker Hall in the US and some red tape.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I recently fitted stainless steel headers from Superformance on a late 246GT. The quality of the headers was just ok. All of the bends on the header pipes were done on a old time non-mandrel type tubing bender, so instead of having a nice curve with a round profile, the tubing necks down to an oval profile where it was bent. Also on the outlet of the headers there is no inner pipe stub as original to locate the crush/sealing ring, so you have to use a solid steel ring between the headers and muffler. The quality of the welding was very good on the header, and the cylinder head flanges were machined after welding, so they were nice and flat. The header fit well and mated up nicely to an Ansa muffler. The mounts for the head shields also did not match the originals. I don't know what the cost of the system from Carrs is, so it might make sense to compare the two.

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The system from Carrs was a good saving over the Superformance version from memory.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Well, from the photos the Carrs headers appear to be much closer to the originals. Nice smooth bends, nice stand-offs for the heat shields and the correct little stub on the outlet to support the crush seal ring. If they fit well and are cheaper than the Superformance, then that is the system that I would purchase.