Schedoni lesson of the day | FerrariChat

Schedoni lesson of the day

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Albert-LP, Nov 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #1 Albert-LP, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    I hope you like this discussion: I will write every now and then something about the Schedoni luggage story, that can be useful for a collector or for who is looking for some info about his car correct Schedoni set.
    I know many things about Schedoni luggage, but you never stop learning about them, so everyone is welcome adding his knowledge here, of course. I will write just what I know at present: I'm open to the contribution of everybody, expecially about the early 308 Schedoni interiors, that I don't know in person (I just know what I read). What I will write here doesn't come from books but from my experience. I have to thank Fchat (and Bruno Muller, alias Nerofer) in advance for the help and knowledge I was given when I starded to buy and collect Schedoni sets, three years and half ago.

LESSON 1: the beginning of the Schedoni age

Mauro Schedoni production of official Ferrari luggage sets started in 1977 (on Christmas 1976 there was the famous "unofficial" first ever produced, for a 308 GTB vetro owned by a relative), but just very but very low numbers and just for the 308 GTB/GTS and (most) for USA market until 1980. In this period he offically did some 308 interiors too. In 1980 he started the production for the other Ferrari models: BB, 400i, Mondial 8, 308 GTB/GTS. Up to AT LEAST April 1982 they all were DESIGNER branded, as Schedoni official brand of the time was "Cuoio Designer Modena".

ciao

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    update: the Designer brand was still alive in July 1982, as a car delivered by Walter Bordese, the Turin Ferrari dealership here in Italy, had a Designer set: just talked with the car owner yesterday night and he whowed me the set.

When does it disappear? I don't know yet, but It's official that by Christmas 1984 there wasn't anymore: so the passage from "Designer" to "Schedoni" brand is between July 1982 and December 1984. End of 1982? 1983? who knows...

ciao

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Alberto,

Doesn't Italy have a "register for Brands", which could (perhaps) indicate when the Schedoni name was registered as a brand? Of course, knowing that we are considering very small series of products here, there might also be a possibility that one or two sets "Cuoio designer" were assembled in advance, and assigned to a car after the "Schedoni" brand was already registered....

Rgds

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #4 Albert-LP, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    LESSON 2: what there was before the Schedoni age?

Ferrari did some attempts with luggage sets more or less around the mid of the seventies - end of the seventies.

They did some (a bunch, less than ten, for what I know) two pieces sets for the BB. They were "floppy" (not 100% rigid): I don't know yet who was the producer.

And then they allowed some shops to produce "official" suitacases with the same cloth of the owners pouch. They were designed by the Enzo Ferrari "official" girlfriend, Fiamma Breschi. Thet were not intended for any Ferrari car, so you could buy it for your Mercedes or just for your own pleasure. They were made by Italstyle, in Florence, Italy.

Here below some pictures of the two pieces BB set and the "owner's pouch" Italstyle, both before the Schedoni age. The BB set shown is from 1976, the Italstyle one more or less 1979.

ciao
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

obertRo and ME308 like this.
  5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani

Who knows! Many things still have to be discovered about Schedoni production story.

ciao

6. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Alberto, what about your interview with mr. Mauro and Simone Schedoni ?

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I'm still waiting for a call...

ciao

8. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Alberto, where do you find the space to store all your luggage? I think you've hoarded a good number of sets!

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I purchased several new wardrobes... I'm close to 30 sets... ;)

The good news is that they don't deserve so much room as the cars they belong to.

ciao

10. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Great initiative Alberto!
    Here another Italstyle serie suitcase, but this is lighter of color and same design and fabric as the 70s car pouches.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    As far as I know ItalStyle also produced merchandise, like wallets and ties.

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, you are right

Ciao

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I'm now scheduled at 10.00 AM this Friday: Hope this time the appointment won't be delayed again

Ciao

14. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thank you for taking the time to post this Albert. Very informative!

Albert-LP likes this.
  15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Schedoni quiz of the day:

Which set is this?
    It's the last I got, yesterday. Three pieces:
    a very big rounded suitcase, a flat dress bag and a small handbag

ciao

regan_ev likes this.
  16. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
  17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Elder you just got an USD 1000 fine for answering the question, as Schedoni dealers are not allowed to answer any quiz! :D

ciao

308 milano likes this.
  18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
  19. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    I don't know I was right, as it was just a lucky guess...:p

20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #20 Albert-LP, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    LESSON 3: the flake in the interiors

Due to a Ferrari request that asked for a washable interior, Schedoni interiors (almost) always do a lot of flake. When? After 20+ years. Expecially in the pockets and the parts you can bend.
    Even if they don't show flake at all (and this is very rare), they will do as soon as you use them. It's not impossible to fix the problem, but it's another work you have to do (and pay...)

But just the "Schedoni" branded have that "feature": the "Designer" branded suitcases haven't. The older Designer have just a brown/red bare leather interiors, that later was replaced by a soft beige interior that doesn't do flake at all, even if the suitcases have been used many and many times
    Here you are the interior of a BB cabin bag from 1980 (that Elder has for sale: Elder I want AT LEAST 10% of the sale... ;) ): brown/red bare leather interior, first picture.

The second picture is the same suitcases but for the BBi (this one is from my BBi set), one year later: it has the soft interior, that doesn't do any flake after 36 years (note, that bag still has the carboard inside, shown in the third picture). You can use and bend it and no problem of flake, never

Designer branded sets are the best ones, in my opinion, and by far: I will tell you why in another "lesson", it's not just for the flake issue

ciao

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It is interesting to read about this.

The interior of the beautifully made and expensive-looking lacquered jewelry box that came with my 1997 Girard Perregaux 8020 wristwatch is also badly flaking. It too is a "feature" of these boxes; they all do it.

I had never seen such flaking before and it is interesting to read that the equally high-end Schedoni luggage also flake.

22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Schedoni did and still does luggage sets that will last 500+ years, interiors included, like the Designer branded sets do: you have to think that Designer branded suitcases are just the Schedoni top quality products of those years resized for Ferrari to perfect fit the car trunk and with the prancing horse on them. Then, after some years, he was forced by Ferrari to have that stupid vinyl thin interior, that is also much cheaper than the previous Designer one. Ferrari doesn't care if products don't last 500+ years, but they do care if they don't cost (for the factory...) too much: in my opinion (just my opinion...) they told "who cares if they don't last 30 years anymore: better, so they will buy new ones! We save money and sell a waterproof hygienic interior, as Vinyl is waterproof while leather isn't"

ciao

PS
    Schedoni interview will be within an hour: I'm leaving for the Schedoni factory

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #23 Albert-LP, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    regan_ev likes this.
  24. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Very cool Alberto, just about to come out of hiding here. I am trying to find all of my pictures (over 1,000) from the trip as they have been misplaced in all the chaos from the fire. Yes, we toured there during our visit. I wonder if he is pointing out the piece they designed for the F1 car? We were shown various pieces they produce, such as the one that wedges them in the cockpit. It goes between their knees and keeps them from moving.

Many, many, many thanks to you for your friendship and hospitality. When the home is finished, you must come and pay us a visit. By the way, the shipping company charged over 400 to ship your beautiful art work, and totally destroyed it in the process lol! Lesson learned the hard way. I have lots to share if I can just find that chip.

By the way, Alberto is indeed the real deal. Genuine to the core, and so is his lovely wife. You should all be so lucky to visit him when in Modena.

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You are too kind, David, Thank you very much for your words: I can tell the same of you and Julie, and my wife agree.

Are you serious, 400 euro euro to ship that thing?? Oh God, I'm very sorry: I will send you an email with the file and you will print it, much less expensive!

Hope your house will become better than before. and I'm sure it will be. You and Julie are the ONLY reason that COULD force me to fly over the ocean, a thing that scares me a lot.

Mauro Schedoni is pointing the Schedoni brand there was in the interior of Michael Schumacher F1 car pictured.

I don't know if you saw during your visit at Schedoni factory this: the holy Schedoni n.1 set, the 1976 Christmas present that started all the story.

Pictured this morning: the silver device is my voice recorder. Copyright: Schedoni S.r.l. and me

ciao

regan_ev, ryanbushell, -CD- and 3 others like this.