How do you rate the driving skills of Lewis Hamilton | FerrariChat

How do you rate the driving skills of Lewis Hamilton

Discussion in 'F1' started by P.Singhof, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How do you rate the driving skills of Lewis Hamilton

1. one of the worse in the field

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. average

2.3%
  3. above average

15.9%
  4. one of the best in the field

54.5%
  5. the very best in the field

27.3%
  1. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    As the title says: how do you rate Lewis Hamiltons driving skills.
    This is not a poll about his personality, only about his skills. There is obviously a lot of confusion as some posters can not differ between liking the person and rating his driving. This poll should finally end the discussion how everyone rates him....

2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I voted as one of the ebst in the field, i think there can be no doubts about it.

3. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Hey, you're helping promote Hamilton as the best yet again, hurrah!

4. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    You still haven´t answered my question...

5. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    And yes, I received my monthly cheque from Stealth ltd. this morning ;)

6. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Ah, yes, just what this section needs - another trolling thread................. it just never ends.

Let the endless, pointless arguments begin!

fer312t and BMWairhead like this.
  7. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian

It would be nice to think that everyone will express their opinion and that will be that - finally an end to acrimonious debates about whether Hamilton is great or Hamilton sucks. Not going to happen though. :(

NeuroBeaker, bberg009 and P.Singhof like this.
  8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    camon, not that hard guys, Peter did it in good faith, so for once let's keep it clean, either you give a straight answer, or go dow to Elton bashing thread...wich by the way is were i'm heading right now!

9. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I did.

You are going around making threads and posts the put Hamilton in the spot light.

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    This is just another Hamilton bashing thread - make no mistake about that. Just calling Hamilton "Elton" is a form of trolling. The whole nature of this thread is to troll.

fer312t likes this.
  11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    No you did not!!!
    You said that "I continually bring out a continual string of accomplishments and achievements" but you still did not answer what these "accomplishments and achievements" are or do you think talking about someone is already an "accomplishment"??? If so your expectations to Lewis are not much higher than those of the Kardashians....
    No, this is not intended as a bashing thread! For at least two years it is going back and forth and people were called haters because they do not "accept the achievements" of Lewis. I want to know for once and for all who actually says that Lewis is not a good driver the way we are insinuated numerous times!

daytona355 likes this.
  12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I took the easy way out ..agreeing with the F1 team bosses from the Autosport 2016 poll.On the basis he seems to have improved in some areas in 2017.

P.Singhof likes this.
  13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I voted "the very best in the field"; simply because there is no doubt in my mind that, for the time being at least (let's say: the last three seasons, including this one), he has proved to be just that. Even if I'm not particularly a fan.

Rgds

bberg009 and P.Singhof like this.
  14. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
  15. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Hmm, has he? He's won two out of those three World Championships but then he's been in emphatically the best car whilst doing it. I think unarguably Hamilton is one of the best. But it is hard to rate him above all the others. There are days when he doesn't seem to be on it (Monaco, Sochi this year, for example) and he clearly doesn't work as hard as say, Vettel, who certainly seemed to have helped this year's Ferrari by voluntarily doing lots of tyre testing for Pirelli and taking the trouble to visit the Pirelli factory.

The best is not just the fastest - even if Hamilton is that, which I'm not sure he is. Lots of pole positions in a Mercedes don't mean much when most of the time the other car is second (and quite a lot of the time Rosberg's other car was actually the one on pole). To my mind, you really see the best shine when they are in a position their car has no right to be in. Admittedly that is hard when you're in the best car. But an example for me was a race like Schumacher's 1996 Spanish GP win. In fact, not even the win as such but just the warm up lap to the grid where he was all over the track testing where the grip was when no-one else was doing that. I can't recall any race of Hamilton's where I've recognized greatness.(which, to be fair, doesn't mean there aren't any, just none that leap to mind).

All that said, I freely admit that my opinion of any driver is coloured by the things they say, who they drive for and so on. So it doesn't help my opinion of Hamilton that he has driven for McLaren and Mercedes and not for Ferrari. But then things like, after his crash in Interlagos qualifying saying that is showed he was human, rather than just saying he made a mistake. No-one said he wasn't human so that just seemed like arrogance to me. I accept most top racing drivers have a belief in their own ability - and have to - but some are better at how they come across than others and Hamilton too often comes across as an entitled little s**t.

Jonathan.

stavura, daytona355 and P.Singhof like this.
  16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Hmm Lets see.

Zero votes for one of the worst in the field
    Zero votes for average
    1 vote for above average
    5 votes for one of the best in the field
    4 votes for the best in the field

Where is the trolling, except for you blindly accusing everyone of being a troll?

daytona355 likes this.
  17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Agreed on most points Jonathan, which (I think...) I had in mind when I wrote what I wrote. I won't enter a long discussion on his merits, etc...
    I have been following F1 since 1972, probably with less enthusiasm since the big vacum cleaners entered service in 2014, and I still think that, all things been taken into account, he was the best in the field during the last three seasons.
    Rgds

18. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Hamilton is NOT my favorite driver, but it is hard to argue against repeated and consistent success. So, I would rate him "one of the very best", even if I will not cheer for him until he comes to Ferrari

P.Singhof likes this.
  19. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Thank you for the recap. :rolleyes:

Making a public poll to assess how Hamilton drives, where there has already been a million posts on the subject in other threads, is just another attempt to bait people into this endless, pointless discussion yet again. Like I said, it never ends......

20. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Who is best and worst, should come from results.. yes, cars play a really big part, but over time you can simply look at results and not the excuses of losers.... Ferrari can and will do better, but second place for Vettel is not bad, and that does not detract from the fact that Hamilton is an awsome driver, even if he works for the "enemy" now :)...

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Hmm no I think the attempt here is to see, by poll, how many here actually think he sucks.

So far, Zero.

22. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    One of the best for sure. You don't get to where you are purely by luck. His skills have brought him there.

P.Singhof and bberg009 like this.
  23. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    What do the poll results have to do with anything? The arguments will continue between people who think he is the very best in the field and the ones who think he is above average, and between anyone who doesn't pick the same answer as others. It's just another way of endorsing the endless back and forths.

I've been on F-Chat long enough, and especially here in the F1 section, to realize that it is just endless, pointless back and forths on the same topics over and over again. Almost like what is going on between you and me, right now.

24. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well no prizes for guessing how I voted.
    It's gets a bit tricky when saying the very best in the field, however I think he is alongside Alonso, with a hair widths of difference between them on any given day, Vettel and Max are nipping at their heels.
    It seems to me he has upped his game this year, in shutting down outside distractions, and maybe Nico beating him was a wake up call.

But lets face it, we are talking where margins are measured to the thousandth of a second. .

Ferrari 308 GTB and P.Singhof like this.