F430 suspension lowering costs... | FerrariChat

F430 suspension lowering costs...

Discussion in '360/430' started by captaing650, Nov 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. captaing650

captaing650 Rookie

Aug 20, 2017
    Texas
    Hi guys, I am looking to lower my F430 on its stock suspension. I did some thread searching and seen prices anywhere from $300 to $800 however when I called my local shop here in Dallas (Norwood) I was quoted $1200 which to me seemed to be a bit high.

Does anyone have an alternative shop recommendation for me?

Norwood said that each strut needed to be removed and compressed and that it was a full day job.

Thanks in advance-

Josh

2. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    are they under the impression that you want to remove the stock springs and put on aftermarket lowering springs? If so, then yes, you'd need to remove and compress each strut.

if all you're looking to do is to lower the height with stock springs, the struts don't need to be removed, let alone have the springs compressed, for that. A couple of turns on the lower collar nut after the lock nut is loosened with a spanner will do it

3. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    It cost me $800 for lowering on stock springs plus a 4 wheel alignment. Make sure that is included with price. Strongly recommend no more than 22mm ( 3/4 inch) drop. It doesn't sound like much but it makes a huge difference.

Post in your local section for recommendations in your area.

4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    $1200 is about going rate , can you adjust under load, maybe....... but are you willing to risk the cost of a strut if the threads get damaged?

And yes , $1200 includes 4 wheel alignment after adjustments, if done here at Boardwalk.

LMK if we can help sir!

S

5. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    That all sounds too high ("Ferrari tax"?) If all we are talking about is lowering the car on the stock suspension, it's not much different than a Spec Miata, which I used to corner balance on scales and align for $300 (it's all labor).

Dale

6. Rhoads56

Rhoads56 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Perry
    360 is basically the same. Just paid $580 for mine (Aussie dollars, so about $450 usd). Included 4 wheel alignment to CS spec.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. captaing650

captaing650 Rookie

Aug 20, 2017
    Texas
    They are under the impression that I want to simply lower the car on its stock suspension. As posted below, this seems to be the going price here in Dallas.

8. captaing650

captaing650 Rookie

Aug 20, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks man!

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No need to remove the shocks, but compressing the spring definitely makes it easier to adjust the spring perch without, as noted, possibly ruining the threads on the shock body or the perch.

Do Miatas use shims to adjust camber? A bit more complicated on a F430 than turning an eccentric.

10. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Spec Miatas use coil-over threaded shock bodies, like the F430. The "eccentric" you refer to is used in the control arms. Adjusting ride height on either is not complicated.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Adjusting camber afterwards on a F430 or any late Ferrari is more complicated since shims are used instead of eccentrics. Adjusting the ride height is, of course, simple with the correct tools.

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  12. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    minutes ago
    I see what you're saying, however I dont understand why camber would need adjusted adter raising or lowering the ride height on these cars. Since the suspension is a double wishbone type with a spindle connected to the upper and lower outer portions, raising and lowering the ride height would move the upper and lower wishbones in equal proportions and would not move either wishbone in or out independent of the other. Therefore, camber would not be affected like it would on a strut type suspension.

13. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Correction to my post above, that is, adjusting the ride height would not move any of the wishbones, so no impact on camber.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Totally incorrect. Those are unequal length A arms, and changing ride height changes both camber and toe.

15. Stanley Kendall

Stanley Kendall Karting
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2017
    How low can you go?

16. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Ahh, ok. Didn't think of that. Now THAT makes sense. Thanks.

Dale

17. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Is the spanner the same one used on the aftermarket coil overs?

18. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    circa $1,000 to get it done professionally, don't comprise or don't do it

19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Did it myself.
    Compress the springs ...lubricate...use HE spanners ...and turn coller. Make sure to clean the threading and lubricate!
    It will change the camber and alignment is needed.

....Novitec springs going in soon.

20. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Does anyone have a recommendation for an independent in West LA or the South Bay to lower an F430? The quote I got from the dealership was $2,340 + $400 for an alignment. It seemed high based upon the posts above. Thanks

21. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sounds a bit high. In socal, I'm having a shop lower it for 600 and align it for about 200. So yeah, 800 is the going rate. While you are in there, I was told my shock bushings were shot. We had it on a lift, compressed the drivers wheel back into the fender and noted the bushing for the shock was off a good few degrees and not sitting like it should. If you are lowing it, something to consider since he will most likely pull it out anyways, mind as well throw new bushings in at the same time. I think AEItalian sells them for like 55 each, get all 4.

22. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Jason. Would you recommend the shop you are using? Is it a 1 day job? I was told by the dealership that they need the car for 2 days.

23. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have not taken the car in for service before, but they are an independent that works on several types of exotics. They work on my friends 458 as well as 2 other scuds. So with their recommendations, I will be checking them out soon. Their prices seem very reasonable despite being a Ferrari.... I took my car to GMG to have my R8 lowered, I think it was like 1200 plus alignment....

Also, I believe it is a one day thing. Taking the shock out is probably an hour at most to take it out, compress it, adjust the height and put it back in. Call it a 30 min beer break inbetween, still about 6 horus, plus driving the car to get alignment done 2 hours is still 8 hours.

ridege55 likes this.
  24. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Lowering ride height on OE springs can be an all-day affair.

Adjustment of lower threaded spring mounts without compression of the OE springs is certainly possible, but it is higher effort vs removal of the coil over shock and compression of the main spring, taking the pre load force off the lower spring threaded mount and the rubber vibration isolation bushing. Doing this on-car usually requires a heavy dose of spray lubricant on the threads and rubber bushing.

Plus, during alignment one should verify corner weights using load cell scales. This is an iterative process, done correctly can be time intensive.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk