How do you rate the driving skills of Lewis Hamilton | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How do you rate the driving skills of Lewis Hamilton

Discussion in 'F1' started by P.Singhof, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How do you rate the driving skills of Lewis Hamilton

1. one of the worse in the field

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. average

2.3%
  3. above average

15.9%
  4. one of the best in the field

54.5%
  5. the very best in the field

27.3%
  1. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Thank you very much for telling me what my intentions are. You do not even see that posts like yours with their insinuations are the reason for this poll...you did not even vote but only attack other people...so maybe you think about whether it is you who is the problem instead of all the others...

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I totally hear you about that trolling aspect, I don't even see or get the relevance, but anyway let's see about the rest, fingers crossed eh ;)

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Not a Ham fan .......but givin the era (2014 - current) this is how I would rate Hamilton given said criteria:

Drivability and skill: Being in one of the most dominant cars in F1 history along with drivers being told "how to drive the car." Never seen him drive a back-
    marker car. Above average.

Strategy and Tact: Strategy: Definitely has the eye's on the prize. Mindset is for the WDC title. He lost 1 title. 4 trumps 1. One of the best in the field.

Tact: We've seen him come from the back....backmarkers are easy when passing in the W08 and has patience when avoiding "risky"
    drivers. Knows when to pass competitive drivers (under DRS). One of the best in the field.

Driver Infractions/penalties: Does he have any? One of the best in the field.

Technicallity: Hard to say. Mercedes camp probably does not want its drivers "meddling" with mechanics and the technicals and eletronics. Again, pit and HQ
    telling the drivers how to drive the car; default settings. Average.

Mindset when his team-mates beat him: gets back on focus(yes Nico 6 straight wins....3 end of 2015 and 3 beginning 2016). Button and Alonso gave him
    competition under different formula. One of the best in the field.

* Note: would have been nice to see Nico defend his title but he got what he wanted and exit stage left.

Currently One of the Best in the Field.....with one of the best F1 cars in history.

stavura, LVP488 and P.Singhof like this.
  4. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    A fair summary Joe.

He's not to shabby on a wet track either, IMO one of the great equalizer's. :)

P.Singhof and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Lewis who?

daytona355 likes this.
  6. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    You are very welcome, because you clearly, and many who post in the F1 section, do not even know when you post a trolling thread. You need others to point it out to you. It doesn't really matter though, because it never ends anyways.

I will not vote and take part if this nonsense. I have read so much about this topic that I am just tired of it, yet I cannot keep quiet about it when I see it so blatantly continue. It's a shame, really.

7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So you only came out defending Lewis for being called Elton...so if your point is that you are only against trolling without any other thoughts, were have you been when Rosberg is called "Nicole" or Seb was called "Psycho" and worse? I guess you have double standards but you hide them behind the fasade of standing above us...It is not like you made any contribution of worth here or in other threads as far as I can see so come down from your high horse, you are not fooling anyone.
    Bye

stavura, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Completely disagree with his mindset when teammates beat him. He needs loads of coaching and massaging whenever that happens and demands explanations, publicly. Not happened the once it always happens.

Strategy...well that's not his is it? And whenever he does demand option and it backfires, he blames the team.

Driver infractions/penalty points I don't think are totally to do with the driver. Massa so far has 1 penalty point (over his entire career) and that was for missing a national anthem

daytona355 likes this.
  9. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    What does this even mean? Your whole post is complete rubbish.

You are one of the few on here that continually trolls. You guys know who you are. Your trolling threads contribute absolutely nothing other than to drive other people away who have no desire to participate in the endless dribble. Why do you think it is always the same 3, 4 or 5 guys that make up the vast majority of posts in these trolling threads? Wake up, smell the coffee. Get a grip on reality.

10. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Did you even realize that you and tervuren are the first one to come around to bash here...you did not even wait the development of this thread, no you thought you have to force it in the direction you say to detest. At the moment you are the guy driving on the motorway wondering why the radio tells you of "one ghost driver" when you see dozens of them approaching you. You came to this thread for no other reason than trolling around but yet you blame others...

stavura, Bas and daytona355 like this.
  11. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As far as an F1 driver of all time he is above average, as far as the talent in the current field he is one of the best. So I would have voted in two categories if I could have.

LVP488 and P.Singhof like this.
  12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I find it impossible to vote any one driver as 'best' as it is as much subjective as qualitative. For this reason I voted for Lewis as being one of the best in the field and his results can speak for themselves. That said I do know some inside engineers at Mercedes who have told me that they have seen him regularly do things that the engineers and simulations say is just not possible. Things like this remind you of the human element of the sport that proves the importance of the driver. I have been around the insides of racing most of my life and can tell you that when you impress the mechanics and engineers you have really done something. Love him or hate him Lewis has displayed skills and talent (over an extended period of time) that come along very infrequently indeed.

maulaf, P.Singhof and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  13. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Oh and here we go once again.....................

14. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I won't vote in this poll because I don't know how good he is, I only have an opinion, which might be right or wrong. And, of course, the same applies to everyone else. However, some apparently 'know' they are right and those with an opposite view are therefore wrong. That's what causes all the trouble here.

P.Singhof likes this.
  15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Don't know if you noticed but you're the only one discussing aples when everyone else is talking oranges! Maybe you will only feel at home when everyone start discussing aples...there is another thread for that in case you're interested, you will find most of us over there.

stavura, Bas and daytona355 like this.
  16. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well do the rest of us all a favour and stay in that thread :rolleyes:

17. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Yup.. so is ping-pong, but it is still fun to pretend that our opinions matter :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Lets be honest he is an all time great. Where does he rank not sure. He has been blessed mostly with great cars but imo he too often like a classless/not sincere brat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.Singhof likes this.
  19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    As this poll is about his DRIVING SKILLS, then obviously no one so far agrees he sucks at that .Although a few rate him 'average' hmm ok...

So it makes sense that all the fuss about Lewis sucking is referring to his personality/dress sense/lifestyle whatever else right?

The guy is out there living life large or even huge,for all the world to see, instead of sitting on his couch in Monaco,or hiding from the media in his Swiss chalet etc.He is an easy target for anyone to snipe away at him.

Jealousy?

20. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    I voted Above Average because we've really only seen him in dominating cars, or cars that were really damn good. I used to think the same about Vettel when he was at RB, those cars were the best and he took them to championships like he should have. Same as Hamilton. The difference is Vettel, like Schumacher, joined Ferrari when they were/are in the slumps and is part of a team that needs a drivers input to be brought back to greatness. I don't think Hamilton could do that if called upon. I don't think we'll see much difference in terms of MB dominance for at least two more years. They're just too good right now.

Lotaz, P.Singhof and daytona355 like this.
  21. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The people at Mercedes that hired Hamilton are not fools. They know the sport from every angle and they know what it takes to win races and championships. They brought Hamilton to the team because they had a strong conviction that he would deliver. That decision is reflected in the world driving championships he has won for them. And yes there is always a certain amount of good and bad luck that is part of it, and the coaching from the pits and all the electronic monitoring of the car is a big help to the drivers. But luck doesn't win four WDC. Those were won with a great car, and also with Hamilton's work ethic, his talent, and his passion.

P.Singhof and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Just like Nico then, hard fought for three years with elton, so presumably that means he and elton very close in talent, since the only difference between them was a technical failure here and there in 2014 and 2015, in 2016 Nico's guile and intellect actually very cleverly fooled elton. I'd say that there is a very good probability that with Elton's backing within the team over Nico, there's a strong case to say that the cleverer, more cunning, more consistent all round driver was Nico, while elton enjoyed rather a lot of luck and the additional support over and above that received by his teammate to help him overcome a more rounded enemy

Bas likes this.
  23. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Thank you very much for that post...this is exactly the reason I put up this poll!!!

For years the "haters" and "naysayers" were accused for being on denial and delusional for not accepting the achievements of Lewis or not rating him the way he "deserves"...Now that this argument is fading away (as obviously people see his driving skills but are able to value the one of others in the grid the same way) you simply come up with the next accusation: Jealousy!
    Just as "hater" or "racist", "jealousy" is a cheap attempt to put the blame away from the "unloved" to the one who does not like him...All these accusations are impossible to disprove no matter what one says as they lack any substance that can be discussed.

Jealousy???
    Why would someone be jealous on a person he actually does not know anything about in private? Because he has cash, a jet and goes to parties?
    How do you know how it looks inside Lewis when he closes the hotel room door behind him and he is by himself?
    Chester Bennington, Chris Cornell or Kurt Cobain...they all had a rock star life and money, would you want to change with them by what you know now?
    And I have met people over the last years who have much more money than Lewis could ever earn and still I did not want to change with them as I have no idea whether they are really happy.

We have a show in Germany called "The Geissens"...This is a "reality soap" that shows the life of a millioneer couple living the jet set life...It is almost "Kardashians in ugly"....People are looking at that junk and think they live quit the life and this is how it looks like when you are rich...Then people dream about being them living this life without realizing that this is just a facade and that life of "really rich people" does not look like this in the slightest. I guess the same people look at Lewis Hamilton and think this is the lifestyle to have and if you do not agree you are only jealous...

So as said: "Jealousy" is again only a cheap try "to put the ball in the other field" and is very telling about the approach of you...simply putting the blame on others instead of questioning whether Lewis is simply an unlikable person. THIS is what I call "denial"

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Your point is more than proven Peter, but everyone already knew it. Over the years there have been many drivers driving for rival tems, some i liked, some i didn't. For example i always admired Mika Hakkinen, even when he was able to beat Michael and take the championship away from ferrari, on the other way, i niver liked Coulthard, never liked Prost or Senna, not even when Prost drove for "us"..but i would root for him, on the other hand, always disliked Alonso, before, during and after Ferrari, and i always loved KImi )although i think he should retire, simply because he isn't that special for about 10 years now (in his prime i would take him over any other driver in the current grid). So, it'sw not even the fact that they drive for Ferrari or not that makes me like or dislike a driver. His way of driving, his behaviour twards others drivers, and what he says are a big part of liking or disliking them. I think Max is incredible, really like his driving skills, but as a person he comes as a rude brat..maybe in time he will change and i will also chage my opinion about him. Elton to me is simply boring, with an ego far greater than his talent (Mansell anyone?), with no class at al, a cheating liar on the track and out of it, so there is really nothing for me to like about him...but no doubt he is very fast..just like a couple more guys out there.

stavura and Bas like this.
  25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's exactly how I considered the equation, and what made me answer that he is currently the best in the business. To answer Peter's poll, I asked myself:
    "let's pretend I am a team manager with a reasonably large amount of money available and a good car that has a reasonable potential to be a contender for the title. Who should I hire for next season, in the objective of being World Champion ASAP?"
    And the answer was obvious.

Now...I think I am pretty well aware of Lewis comparisons with his former team mates (I was among those who wrote and repeated that at McLaren, statistics show that he was not really better than Jenson Button), his lapses in races from time to time, his behaviour of a spoiled child from time to time. Etc, etc, etc...
    BUT on track, since the arrival of the "vacuum cleaners" in 2014, well, to me he has been the best, constantly challenging for the title; he has the best car, granted, but being the best and having the best car go hand-in-hand very often, as we all know.

As for the rest, his life style, etc..."Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" (Clark Gable, "Gone with the Wind") that may amuse me, that may p..s me off, who cares? I am interested in Formula One and in Racing, the rest, well, I leave it to the tabloïds, as long as he doesn't steal, commit crimes, etc...
    Besides...a small voice deep inside myself keeps whispering that despite all his heavy-handness sometimes, L.H would probably be a good companion for a pint or two at the pub...

Rgds

Ferrari 308 GTB and P.Singhof like this.