Hey I bought an e-type in boxes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hey I bought an e-type in boxes

Discussion in 'British' started by Michael B, Apr 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #26 Michael B, May 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Eddie.

We have the colors down. The signal red as shown with biscuit is final. Chrome wires on redline rubber too. We spoke of covered headlights but I am sticking with series II trim. I like them loud so straight pipes to small do nothing mufflers in the back. Factory A/C will stay with everything redone to high-line driver status.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Please find me an E-Type in boxes!!!!!

3. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I always advocate choosing the colors and options you like - value be damned. But just to be clear, don't let anyone fool you into thinking redlines are in any way "original". According to JCNA judging guides, no E was ever delivered on redlines. I will also attempt to confirm this with other books I have at home....

Looks like a great project - enjoy! :)

gp

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah but I gotta have redlines right? :) The car was originally creme & black... So with my Signal Red & Biscuit choice I think the redlines will fit right in. I will favor the 5 inch original wire wheels though... With winged knockoffs Vs octagon. Fun spec!

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Have redlines on mine - love the look!

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Update: Full interior all done. Ended up at about $7500 for that... Including top. Plenty of other things happening ~ including removing the body from my chassis buck & placing it on one of theirs (better positioning on theirs that they are more use to). So now they fit the new bonnet to the body & then final paint. After that its just reassembly from there.

I may get some current pix shortly.

7. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Do your self a favor, get the GM 1 wire alternater.....simple clean, look original but eliminates all the headaches.
    Good luck!
    GTJOEY1314

Michael B likes this.
  8. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Sorry, but I don't get this. Of course I have needed to replace brushes and bearings over the years (on the XJ6C the alternator and bearing were over 30 years old) and the BUTEC in the V12 OTS had a collector rind soldering that gave up when it was 42 years old, but other than that I have never had any trouble with any of the Lucas alternators in my Jaguars (in over 20 years) 11 ACR, 18 ACR and 20 ACR. Don't fix it if it ain't broken. :)

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

9. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
  10. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
  11. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
  12. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Hi,

Oh well, there may have been a time when it was easier for you guys in the states to get that GM alternator than Lucas brushes or diode bridge or some other part, but over here it just does not make much sense. The two things I mentioned have been the only attention the mentioned Lucas alternators have needed in my cars. I too have done a few miles, but not yet quite 100.000 miles, but getting close. (Over 150.000 km) and I like to keep my cars 100% as they left the factory on Browns Lane. Or actually the MKV DHC was made on Holbrook Lane, Foleshill, Coventry and not at Browns Lane, but it does not have an alternator so it does not matter here. :)

There are often other electrical problems in old cars where the alternator or fuel pump get the blame, the most typical ones being bad earth connections for the engine, for the charging relay, for the gauges or the fuel pump. The OP has a Series 2 car, so not relevant, but I have seen so many fuel pumps replaced in V12 E's where the only real problem was the earth connection. Very few people seem to know where the earth wire to the fuel pump is mounted to the body. Yes, it is in a very difficult place, but not impossible, and after 40 years there can be corrosion on the flange of the inner rear wheel arch. :D

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

13. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I still love that xj6c, your lucky in the states , we needed the crash rubber bumpers, making it look completely different.
    Enjoy my friend.
    GTJOEY1314

14. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You are both making me want mine to hurry up & finish!

15. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Hi guys,

Thanks, appreciate all the feedback, and love that Willow Green FHC you had, gtjoey. Here's my 1st car, bought in boxes, almost finished in 1997, 20 years ago...

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

16. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
  17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    michael
    can you post a close up photo of the diamond pattern on the seats? what seat supplier did you use?
    thanks

Michael B likes this.
  18. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    bromo likes this.
  19. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Ahhh, Gary's good old company from Muncie, Indiana. They're good, and so is BAS, mostly. Previously some interior colors were NLA, like Connolly Red, in the right tone, but there was enough demand, so for slightly higher price even that is available per original spec.

Michael B likes this.
  20. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Continuing the saga...

35 hours to straighten the previously completed rockers ~ as they did not fit the new bonnet. Then once they fit the bonnet... The rockers did not fit the doors any longer. Not to mention that the trunk lid was not properly fitted prior to painting (some 15 years ago). So...

Now into the little bit buying phase / picking up small items like emblems & lights. Then assemble the suspension so all this can roll.

21. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    mcimino, dsd and Mang like this.
  22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Love watching this unfold.

23. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    look forward to seeing it sometime soon Michael!
    you coming to F1?

Michael B likes this.
  24. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks doc. F1 schedule is problematic with my pending shop property purchase & location move. But I will be there in spirt!

25. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    mcimino likes this.