Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 53 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I was impressed when he qualified 4th in the wet at Monza..that was no accident. (started 2nd after ricci and max pealties) That is talent ,i agree he has to improve in his F1 race craft.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Drivers bringing money to a team and buying a seat is not new to racing in general nor to F1. In the mid-fifties Ferrari sold a seat to Count de Portago and the drivers death (along with about 50 in the crowd) in the 1957 Mille Miglia brought an end to that race. https://www.google.com/search?q=Count+d+Portago&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKz73gkcXXAhXpsVQKHQ9qB0gQsAQIRw&biw=1366&bih=622

The father is paying for is son to have a chance. If he isn't markedly better in 2018 I'm sure either the father or Williams will pull the plug. If Kubica gets Massa's seat and brings some fire and excitement and better finishes to the team, Stroll has to either rise to the occasion or look for another form of racing.

Looking at all the pictures in the link, I find myself much more attracted to that period than to today.

3. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 17, 2017

Stroll not listening to haters

Lance Stroll says he would give himself "8.5 out of 10" for his rookie season in F1.

Actually, the 19-year-old rookie has been roundly criticised this year, including by 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve who doesn't think Stroll has improved.

"Looking at the season, I have to say there have been very challenging times. Especially at the beginning," said Stroll, whose billionaire father Lawrence brings substantial backing to Williams.

"There were also some great times," Stroll insisted. "I was on the podium. I was on the front row."

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport asked Stroll to give himself a mark for his season out of 10.

"There is always room for improvement," he answered. "So it's not 10. I would say a strong 8.5.

"We had a really good season, scoring a lot of points," said Stroll. "A 9 would be too good though."

Asked if qualifying was a particular weakness for him in 2017, Stroll answered: "I can improve everywhere. Many little things.

"I was often unlucky in qualifying, but other times I can certainly improve myself as well. I can certainly become a more complete and better driver. But it takes time and experience. This was just my first season," he added.

Stroll - mentored by Felipe Massa this year - will get a new teammate for 2018, and Villeneuve has suggested the Canadian will hoping whoever it is will be "slower".

"I don't focus on what is said or written about me," Stroll insists.

"I do not read the newspapers or listen to the jealousy and the haters. It's been important to keep a cool head."

The criticism, though, has often been relentless, but Stroll insists he has never doubted himself.

"No. I am young, it's my first season," he answered. "I won everything until formula one. I have proven to myself and the world that I can win races and championships.

"This is just a new job and a new series. I have to adapt and to grow."

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Why stop at 8.5. Just round it to 10, take a selfie, fire up the G5 and celebrate in Abu Dhabi LOL :)

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    G5 is so yesterday mate. With Bombardier as sponsors would have thought a Global 6000 would be the ticket, with an upgrade to the 7000 next year ;)

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    He seems to have a sensible head on his shoulders.Maybe he is a lurker on FChat ? With his family connections to Ferrari not to mention the Driver Academy would not be surprised...

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Stroll is the best young driver in history!!! Where’s my check?

dflett, daytona355, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    One post is not enough chief ..you need to build them up a bit ;)

daytona355 likes this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    From the other car following them ( Grosjean) it was not so clear (you can look at it to check), Stroll's line might have had a constant radius but in any case it was not a regular cornering line (which closes the corner toward the apex).
    Also a constant steering angle would maintain a line only in a constant radius corner.

dflett and Bas like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. The corner tightened and Stroll didn't follow...he went wide to pick up rubber for his tyres, but Vettel was there. Vettel didn't need to overtake, Stroll needed to use his mirrors. 70/30 imo

11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    +1
    And if the steering radius is larger than the one of the corner it might be still a constant radius but it would end in the gravel nevertheless...

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    To some degree, what is he going to say? If I were him I would have just shut up and moved on. He's just pouring gas on his own fire.

Everyone points to Stroll's points over Massa. No one points that Massa cleaned his clock in just about every session and race until being forced out.

The guy is no young Kimi or Verstappen. Those guys would have deserved an 8.5 in their first years. Lance is so far behind those two you need a telescope to find him.

Flavio_C, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  14. DF1

Stroll is clueless as one is when insulated from reality an entire life thus far. Family wealth puts him in a category free from worrying about what is actually facing or going on around him. He is a complete tool and useless F1 tourist driver if he honestly thinks his season ranks above a 2 or more. Williams are an utter joke. I fully blame the management for selling access and control to the Stroll family. He is not worth paying attention to at all. His statement is an utter denial of reality.

Again he has no chance with no money. Others might have money and talent. He has zero talent in terms of being an actual, competitive F1 driver. Next year will not be any better he peaked at race 1. Review Brundle's comments on his lack of aggression and capability on the brakes in Italy. He should have learned that long ago. Massa may have taught him or attempted to. The key is did he or is he capable of absorbing those lessons. The ridiculous words out of his mouth prove he has not. He never pushed Massa once ever.

subirg, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    How about Monza?

16. DF1

Wow 1 race qualy......again Brundle's comments on race day lead one to see what he lacks. He does not race...at all

17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    And on race day he lost his place on T1 to Ocon all the while dropping grid places only to end up P10 (I think)......he's a tourist in an F1 car.

Bas likes this.
  18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    7th i think ,holding off Massa and Perez.

19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    6th.....nevertheless, he does'nt race....he just drives.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    "Holding off Massa" is one of the funniest comments I ever read :D

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Lance is a great driver and deserves an 8.5 out of 10

-- if you're referring to his abilities on his Playstation.

22. DF1

So sure are you? He had difficulty with Monaco....on his game lol

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap..he couldn't handle a certain turn....

24. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Felipe's thoughts on Lance.

Brazilian Massa is retiring, and he admitted his next move will probably be into Formula E.

"I think it's the most interesting place to compete and win again. It's the future of the cars we will be driving," he told the Spanish newspaper AS.

But he also wishes F1, Williams and his current teammate Lance Stroll well.

Massa said F1 "has a good future" in the hands of Liberty Media.

"To win a championship again, Williams needs more money, but I think if they can improve many things they can be on the podium," Massa said, referring to the British team.

And as for Stroll, "He is a lot better now compared to when the year started, but I think we can say more about his future in the second or third year".

25. DF1

A very diplomatic and tactful response from Felipe. In private his assessment would be less complimentary I think.

daytona355 and Bas like this.