Ferrari 308 GTS valve adjustment | FerrariChat

Ferrari 308 GTS valve adjustment

Discussion in '308/328' started by Barnone 308, Nov 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Hi everyone, I have a 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS. I just wanted to know if I can pick your brains. I pulled off the distributor on P1-4 (back of the car). I never marked it before taking it off. So after pulling my valve covers off and completed all the measuring, I took off the timing indicator cover to access the fly well and gently in forth gear pushed the car forward a few rotations until I reached 7 degrees before TDC PM1-4. I then placed the distributor back to make sure the the rotator point on the distributor is point to the red marker. Does this sound OK. Also if anyone can confirm for me the process to re-install distributors. My understanding is that you set timing at 7 degrees before TDC and make sure the distributor rotator points to red mark on distributor (Piston # 1) and then for the pistons closest to fire wall you turn flywheel at 7 degrees before TDC PM5-8 and then make sure distributor pointer for PM5-8 points to red marker. Let me know your thoughts. I appreciate any information provided.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Everything you wrote is OK except you need to be sure that you are on the correct rotation when you locate TDC PM1-4 -- it has to be at the end of the compression stroke (both valves closed -- which I think you can confirm/deny by looking thru the oil filler on the 1-4 camcover). After installing the 1-4 dist., rotate the crankshaft 90 deg clockwise, as viewed looking at the timing belt end, to the TDC PM5-8 mark, and install the 5-8 distributor.

3. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Hi Steve, I have my valve covers off as I am currently performing valve adjustment. Yesterday I turned the flywheel a couple of rotation by pushing the car forward in 4th gear and and found PM1-4 on flywheel I placed the distributor in to ensure that the rotator was pointing to the red mark. I actually tried after one rotation of the flywheel and it never worked after a second rotation I had the rotator match the red mark on distributor. I also checked cylinder one to ensure that shims were freely moving, my cam marks where dead on which surprised me.

4. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    My next step is cylinders 5-8. I will take off distributor and measure up valve clearance. So I will have both distributors off and valve covers. When putting it all back together sorry if I am repeating myself, I will turn flywheel at 7 degrees BDC PM1-4 and install distributor and make sure that the rotator is aiming toward the red mark, then screw in bolts. and install caps and wires. I will then turn the flywheel until I find 7 degree BTDC PM5-8 and install distributor to ensure that rotator is aimed towards the red mark and install cap and plugs. More then one rotation of the flywheel maybe needed to ensure that rotator is aimed at red mark. Question at 7 degrees before TDC for PM1-4 the rotator will fire on piston number one first correct?.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, when the 1-4 dist rotor is aimed at the red mark on the 1-4 dist housing rim, it will (should) be aligned with the metal contact inside the dist cap that connects to the #1 cyl (assuming the wires are connected to the correct places on the cap). Also, when the 1-4 dist rotor is at that same position, the thing that fires the 1-4 coil (whether it be points or something else) should also be at its moment of firing the 1-4 coil.

6. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    HI Steve, thank you so much for the help. Would it be best to look inside the distributor to ensure that the points are touching when 1-4 cylinder distributor rotor is aimed at red mark. Is that how you would verify that points are ready to fire as my car still has original points.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The points should be just about to open (the coil fires when the points open) when the rotor is pointing at the red mark. If you've got the distributor off the engine, you can measure the resistance from the point lead to dist housing ground (should be ~0 ohms with the points closed), and then slowly rotate the dist shaft by hand, and note if the rotor is, or isn't, roughly pointing at the red mark when the resistance goes to infinite ohms to see if you are in the right ballpark.

Do you only have the R1 points working, or do you still have both the R1 and R2 points working?

8. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    I have points R1 and R2 working

9. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Hi Steve, I have my R2 distributor in my hand. I am turning the distributor and only one set of points is opening and closing the other looks like its staying connected. Should both points be opening and closing.

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, if they were both actually active, they would both be opening and closing (with the R2 point opening slightly after the R1 point). However, you must have some wiring changes that prevent the point that seems always closed from ever functioning (because on a stock system, if the R1 point was always closed, that bank would never run, and, if the R2 point was always closed, that bank wouldn't run at idle).

11. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    #11 Barnone 308, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Hi Steve, I only have the R2 distributor in my hand, the R1 is still connected. As only one set of points is opening and closing while I spin the rotor on the R2 distributor, do you recommend I adjust that both open and close, or should I just install new points. It looks like the cam lob is not making any connection with the point that is remaining closed.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not following you here. There is a 1-4 distributor that would have R1 and R2 points inside if stock, and a 5-8 distributor that would also have R1 and R2 points inside if stock. Please clarify what distributor you are talking about and what point(s) it has inside.

13. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Hi Steve, sorry man, I am referring to the 1-4 distributor with R1 and R2 points. I have not taken off the 5-8 distributor as of yet. Looking at the 1-4 distributor yesterday noticed that one of the points remained closed. I imagine I should change out the R1 and R2 points and reset the gap. What are your thoughts.

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    As I had posted, if you have R1 and R2 points in the 1-4 distributor, and they were both still active, but one was always closed = no worky. Have you read Sections L & O of the 308GT4 WSM?

15. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Thank You Steve. I read the section. Both need to be working. I think I am going to go ahead replace points, condensors and coils. I think I know why my car was running so bad now. So much to these cars. Its fun though. I really appreciate your help man.

16. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael

pics are always welcome ... you know ? ;)