new Tesla Roadster unveiled | FerrariChat

new Tesla Roadster unveiled

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by action-ant, Nov 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
  2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I like this ... great looking

3. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
  4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    too bad it doesnt look better

5. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Phenomenal performance.
    Great looks.
    No range anxiety.
    No gas bills.
    4 seats.

Awesome price point at $200k, and mine will be free, thanks to Tesla stock.

action-ant likes this.
  6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Not sure how I feel about this. No exhaust note, no ruble of the engine sounds, & no more lopey cam. So much power & tech but still soulless.

7. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    If you equate noise with soul, sure. I think people with excessively loud cars are tools, though yes, I do like the Ferrari howl.

For me, the essence of driving enjoyment is in the g-forces, and in how connected you feel to the car and how well you can control it. This man-machine dance defines the soul of a car for me. The exhaust is nice, as long as I am not being anti-social, but I am fine without it. And the zero emissions more than makes up for it.

NousDefions likes this.
  8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    hmmm this could be a real game changer. no one loves the high pitch wail of exotic engines more than me but still. this one looks great, open top, acceleration of top fuel dragster, super low cg handling, etc. future might just require stereo system to give us the sound we want. might just be ok once we get used to it

10. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Although it has a certain appeal (the numbers and the design), I’m hesitant to spend that much money on something so prone to planned obsolescence and digital rot. I was able to upgrade my 2007 911’s pitifully dated nav/radio by swapping it for an iPad mini, but I thankfully don’t have to worry about a battery pack reaching its end of life.

My other concern is how this and the truck’s production will be based on the 3 delays I’ve read about.

Is the early deposit for the roadster a clever way for a cash infusion to ramp up 3’s production? Not suggesting this is the case, and perhaps I’m oversimplifying a common business practice, but it seems a little like a Ponzi scheme. I’ll be interested to watch how Musk is able to scale up production. If he continues to achieve these goals, that will be an impressive accomplishment.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Did you follow the intro of the model S? That's exactly what Tesla did... they had millions in deposits.

12. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    #12 C50, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Not closely but I believe they've done preorders/deposits for all models.
    One difference is that the S was their first model while the roadster and truck will be the 4th/5th (excluding the first roadster) and there is still quite a backlog, as I understand it, of the 3 orders.
    Obviously, the price point of the 3 is going to attract more deposits than the roadster so there will be a larger backlog for the 3.
    Also, I have no insight into the production lines and how one model's production/delays influence the others
    I'm just marveling at the way Musk has scaled up the business.
    Describing him as bold is perhaps an understatement.

Does anyone know what the 'founder's series' entails?

13. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Thats almost like watching a movie without a soundtrack, just voices. But I respect your opinion.

For me its rarely about the volume of a car, I think many modern sports / supercars are exhaust tuned to be way to agressive, buzzy, chainsaw sounding, usually at idle. Its about the music..... whether it be a Bugatti straight 8, Porsche flat six, Ferrari V12 or even the lovely 24v BMW straight sixes of the 90's, and the fact thats is a complex mechanical process making it.

14. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    For me, it’s about the smell of the coal, or the feel of the horse’s mane in my hands.... :)

15. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Yet so enthusiastic about 100 year old tech, or even 200 year old arguably.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The sound of the car makes as a huge difference for me even at slow speeds. I can definitely see this being a turn off for some with that missing. A stiff suspension and good sounding engine can make you feel like you're going fast even though you're not...an electric car may not provide that feeling until you're actually breaking the law and speeding like crazy.

How much will this thing weigh with that size battery? Their first roadster weighed at 2,700 lbs. If they can manage to keep it at that weight, it should handle well and make a nice go-kart like experience a lot of indoor places use.

17. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    0-100 mph in 4.2
    1/4 mile in 8.9!
    That's serious.
    Here's a Mustang running 8.9 (and blowing up)

18. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Has anyone owned or driven the first Tesla Roadster? And to go one step further, who has driven the Tesla Roadster as well as its Lotus counterpart? How did the Roadster drive, handle and compare to the Lotus? I'm curious how the new Roadster will perform in the handling department, as well as whether it can endure multiple continuous laps at a track.

I think EVs are going to be more common in our future, and the days of glorious engine sounds and exhaust notes are numbered. :( Hopefully, this car and future performance cars can hold on to and promote the driving experience.

19. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Old rollercoasters were noisy and fun. Latest ones are silent, and still great fun! It's about the wind, the world rushing by, and g-forces, both linear and lateral. It's about sensory engagement. Sure, noise is a part of it. Equally sure, the fun is still there if the noise is changed to just gear whine and wind rushing past and stereo soundtrack (if you choose).

All models are on separate production lines, so delays on one should not affect any other.

Demand and production rates are also different, so you can't predict delays and unit numbers based on another.

I have driven an Exige and Roadster (the first model) extensively. Both were awesome. The Tesla roadster was faster, but also prone to sliding out in the corners due to much higher mass. And once it let go, there was no recovery. They made some tweaks to the rate of power delivery and that made it much better.

action-ant likes this.
  20. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    One of my clients has the old roadster. He got into an accident, and it took 14 months to repair

21. Zzono

Zzono Karting

Apr 21, 2008
    What´s so special about this roadster?
    Did Tesla provide some technologies with this roadster, which other makers cannot make?

Making such fast cars with electronic parts is dead easy. Come on!

22. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Strangely, there's no other car with this performance at this price.

Dead easy...maybe you can make some for even less?

23. Zzono

Zzono Karting

Apr 21, 2008
    Nio EP9 from China is as fast as this roadster (If not, faster).

Strangely, there is no other ELECTRIC car with this performance from traditional automakers.
    Because current automakers cannot make such cars with battery?

It is much more difficult to make a fast car with gasoline or diesel engines than with simple electronic devices.

24. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    “No gas bills.” Is a feature you care about on a $250k car? Really? Reminds me of people who ask me what kind of gas mileage my Ferrari gets. Always makes me chuckle.

25. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    lets see what it can do around the nurburgring