I know the brakes are supposed to squeal, but even when not pressing on the brakes? | FerrariChat

I know the brakes are supposed to squeal, but even when not pressing on the brakes?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RossoCorsa716, Nov 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've noticed that when my brakes are even moderately warm with normal city driving, I get a squeal-squeal-squeal at regular intervals as the wheel rotates even when not pressing on the brakes. Of course, it gets louder as I brake but is it normal to squeal when not pressing the brake pedal? Should I have this looked at?

Appreciate the feedback!

2. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi mine squealed a bit when they were cold and applied but haven't had them do it when they were warm, and not also when driving.

My guess is that it is the pre load kicking in whereby when you let your foot of the gas the car does apply the brakes to take up the slack between the pad and disc.

Try putting some heat into them and see if that makes a difference?

Regards

Michael

3. phatteus

phatteus Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I too have a light squeal while not even braking, but I notice mine leaving the driveway for the first time.

I asked the dealer during the last annual inspection and they found nothing amiss. They said they had luck with some customers doing a cleaning of the pads and rotors, but they wouldn’t go so far as to guarantee success for the cost, so I passed.

4. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    They should not squeal when the brakes are not applied.

Kai

Melvok likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mine squealed at slow speed stops. I don't think there's much you can do about it. I think you are getting the pre-load on the brakes that anticipate you about to apply the brakes. This is there to improve braking performance.

You can discuss it with the dealer but I think they will tell you it's normal.

RossoCorsa716 likes this.
  6. 488gtbmasergt

488gtbmasergt Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    I too got annoyed with this noise. I called up my dealer and before I could ask if it was normal he explained to me the pre-load reason mentioned above. Nothing you can do about it... I do not hear it all the time but most of the time. Especially when driving alongside a wall that bounces back the sound.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah unfortunately I don't believe this is unusual at low speed or slow speed stopping.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #8 Melvok, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    They should NOT squeel !

Look in your Owners manual and find "bedding the brakes" ... wooow I just did it and cannot find it there ...

It is in my Work Shop Manual (wsm):

Bedding in CCM pads

The following procedure is applicable for both CCM1 and CCM2 brake systems and must be performed EACH TIME the CCM brake pads and/or CCM brake discs are replaced.

For vehicles intended for ROAD use:
    Brake 16 times from 80 Km/h to 20 Km/h with constant pressure on the brake pedal and without activating the ABS system.

Leave the brake system to cool for approximately 120 seconds.

Brake 16 times from 120 Km/h to 20 Km/h with constant pressure on the brake pedal and without activating the ABS system.

Leave the system to cool for 180 seconds.

The ABS system must be triggered during the last set of braking runs.

Brake AT LEAST 5 times from 120 Km/h to 0 Km/h (vehicle completely stopped), causing the ABS system to activate.

Allow the brake system to cool completely before using the vehicle again after the bedding-in procedure to ensure maximum braking efficacy.

As soon as you notice an increase in brake pedal travel, stop the car and wait for the brake system to cool completely.

For vehicles intended for TRACK use

Brake 16 times from 80 Km/h to 20 Km/h with constant pressure on the brake pedal and without activating the ABS system.

Leave the brake system to cool for approximately 120 seconds.

Brake 16 times from 120 Km/h to 20 Km/h with constant pressure on the brake pedal and without activating the ABS system.

Leave the system to cool for 180 seconds.

The ABS system must be triggered during the last set of braking runs.

Brake AT LEAST 5 times from 160 Km/h to 0 Km/h (vehicle completely stopped), causing the ABS system to activate.

Allow the brake system to cool completely before using the vehicle again after the bedding-in procedure to ensure maximum braking efficacy.

As soon as you notice an increase in brake pedal travel, stop the car and wait for the brake system to cool completely.

If you can 't fix it, call the dealer and ask him how to get rid of it.

9. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you all for your input, I’ll try bedding the brakes Melvok, but if I get rear ended I’m sending you the bill! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jonkheer likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I gotta tell ya, I'm very impressed with the CCM brakes if that is the bedding process in the WSM. If you did that to a normal DD they would catch on fire. Personally, I've never bedded the brakes on any new car and haven't had any issues with performance. Normal driving and a couple panic stops and quick breaking along the way and good to go.

If you are having this issue with rubbing on/off as the wheels turn without brakes than maybe you should have the rotor runout checked. Good luck.

11. MJR_HK

MJR_HK Karting

Aug 9, 2016
    HK & CH
    Thanks Mel for sharing - thing is though, how can you do this bedding procedure on a normal open road...

IMHO, they should do this at the factory - they claim to "put your car through its paces" when they send you the last image of the production line, why don't they just bed the brakes?

It can be quite annoying and is a bit ridiculous...your Ferrari squeals in a traffic jam and the Fiat next to you drives all smooth and without a sound...

Anyway, first world problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melvok likes this.
  12. MJR_HK

MJR_HK Karting

Aug 9, 2016
    HK & CH
    Thanks Mel for sharing - thing is though, how can you do this bedding procedure on a normal open road...

IMHO, they should do this at the factory - they claim to "put your car through its paces" when they send you the last image of the production line, why don't they just bed the brakes?

It can be quite annoying and is a bit ridiculous...your Ferrari squeals in a traffic jam and the Fiat next to you drives all smooth and without a sound...

Anyway, first world problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    This bedding procedure is rather extensive.
    From my experience one can get rid of the squeal with less than that, just alternating a few hard and soft brakings and then driving normally for a while.
    Typically after track use the brales squeal, I suspect repeated hard braking causes uneven wear that brings up the noise.

Melvok likes this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Yeah, I had never to do the bedding myself ... car was well driven in by former owner.

I would do what you suggest indeed ... some firm, hard brakings on a deserted asfalt highway on a Sunday mornig or so :D

Really BANG your foot on the brake pedal few times ... good luck and report back to us please.

15. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Banged on brakes several times, let them cool then drove and squeal was not quite as loud but still definitely there both during “preload” and actual braking. A few days later went back to obnoxiously loud. And yes, if I just slam on my brakes at every stop it’s ok but that’s both dangerous and kind of douchy as it attracts just as much attention as taking off quickly or revving the engine.

This is crazy, are you guys just putting up your windows and ignoring it? I’m frankly embarrassed by it and considering either keeping car for track only purposes or getting rid of it. I never in a million years could have imagined my love affair with Ferrari to end with a squeal!

My R8 has steel rotors and makes absolutely no sound. Maybe I should just get rid of the carbon ceramics? Is that even possible? I don’t care about performance at this point, if it’ll make it quiet I’m all for it!

Appreciate your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m awaiting delivery of my 488, but with our Cali-T, I just found a stretch of highway with little traffic and did 2-3 panic stops from 70mph. I don’t think they preload, but they squealed considerably under light brake load. It solved my squeals. Have to repeat occasionally but not often.

I didn’t do the elaborate procedure referenced above.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    I did some research and there seems to be some consensus out there that the CCB squeal is actually caused by vibratory friction between the BACK of the brake pad and the caliper (not the friction surface between pad and rotor). There is anti-squeak lubricant that can be applied in this area to fix the problem:

https://itstillruns.com/stop-ceramic-brake-squeal-5894216.html

I'm going to see if Ferrari service is open to trying this fix, will report back.

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Quite new to me (and many I think) ! Let us know whether this anti-squeek lub works with you :D