Ferrari cars with Koni shocks | FerrariChat

Ferrari cars with Koni shocks

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by carvad, Nov 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    What was the first road Ferrari model with Koni shocks? I guess it was in late 50th or early 60th.

2. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    Prince Bernhard of the Nederlands was friend with Arie and Kor de Koning, the two brothers who founded Koni after WW2. He was also the friend with Enzo Ferrari. He used to visit the Koni factory once on a while and bring his new Ferrari (#0725 GT I guess) to be equipped with a new set of Koni shocks, than taking car back to Maranello and impressing Enzo with the improved ride and handling of the car. As a result Koni was invited to develope new suspension products for Ferrari cars.

So, what was the first road Ferrari model (not single car) with Koni shocks?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Prince Bernhard in his 250 GT Speciale near the old Koni factory.

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    A Daytona has them, but I guess there were earlier cars?

4. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    500 Superfast from 1964 has Koni shocks and I guess it's not the first road Ferrari with them.

5. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    By approximately #1700, Ferrari is starting to mount telescopic shocks on the SWB chassis, but not Konis. By about chassis #1900, SWB Berlinettas and Californias are generally using Konis.

6. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Californias got the Konis in the 31xx range. Before they were equipped with Miletto Shock Absorbers and 1795GT used GMF Shock Absorbers.

7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Mechaniker: Your statement is correct, except the 2987 is the earliest California (that I have Build Sheets for) that had Konis. California 2015 also was built with Konis.

8. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Ok, now we have the Californias spot on with the Konis and other Shockabsorber manufacturers. Thank You for the additions (I was to lazy to have a look in the Books..) BTW, You will have a PM in a few minutes.

What about the other Ferraris? When were they equipped with Konis?