Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    By the way, I forgot to mention, as I had cooling hoses on the brain today since I was searching for a set of silicone hoses for my Triumph Stag, I saw that the kits that Rimmer Bros in the UK carry for Triumphs are made by a company called Samco. They have a kit for the 550 Maranello for about half the price of Scuderia Rampante so I wrote them asking if they'd do a kit for the 456 as well. Am awaiting their reply. Hopefully they will as I'd like to upgrade my 456 to silicone as well but damn, the kit from SR is bonkers money!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not sure cars with low milage like this are really worth the higher cost. Given so many things that would need to be done. I think the price was slightly high for an automatic, but within reason for sure.

3. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I think the higher price is a classic second hand buyers prerogative of low milage = Higher value, In the 456M case buyer be aware of ....the classic 456M issues , $66,000. Could soon be 76 plus.

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Mine wasn't sold to flip and relist. It was on consignment at one dealership and then another dealer bought it from me to list it. Engine out and top end rebuild less than 300 miles ago, so it was perfect when I sold it.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. emmodg

emmodg Rookie

Apr 4, 2006
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    J.B. McClure III
    I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time now and have few posts under my belt but I came upon a manual 2000 456 in "red" - not sure of what red, not an F-car red - sitting in a friend's hay barn.

My friends father "collected" an eclectic mix of cars over the years and he recently passed away leaving a few of these cars on their farm in a hay barn. The aforementioned 456 is in need of "help". It's passenger seat is stuck, it's windows won't roll work, it has a few dash lights on, it's paint is good at 5 feet and it doesn't have a lot of service records. It's never been in an accident but I can almost BET it is in need of a service. (I forgot to look at the mileage but probably belts, perhaps valve clearance check, etc.. It hasn't been driven much at all since it's been owned by my friend's father - a few times o the gravel farm roads and once or twice into town. I feel sorry for the old girl and was THINKING - with a BIG "T" - about rescuing it. Kind of weird market for these but I'm wondering what a ballpark estimate is on a non-original paint-456 in need of scheduled service and service-to-repair. I was thinking $30k at most....

6. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    I assume it is a 456M, correct? Automatic or 6-speed?

7. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Well, if it's a '99 it's an M and from the sounds of it, it's a GT since it's a manual. I'd say $30K tops given the condition you describe, maybe better to try to get it for $25K since you know the owners. I think if I were in your shoes I'd go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Minimum, you'll need to empty the gas tank, and do a belt service. Add to that addressing the "lights" the seat, and windows - and whatever else comes up - and it'll be near or above $10K easy. Probably more.

There are a LOT of Ferrari reds. The chances it's not original paint are super low.

That it's a Y2K means it's an M, and a manual makes it quite rare and valuable.

Does it have fender shields? Color matched brake calipers? Daytona style seats? If all three, that's a very rare car.

I, personally, wouldn't be afraid to rescue it, but I'd have a spare $20K in cash to do it right.

A perfect 456M, manual, shields, calipers, and Daytona seats with <10K miles would be worth north of $125K, so I don't think $30K is enough, but if you can get it for that, it's a steal, despite the condition.

9. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    A few pics might help provide some context.

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Include in that list:
    Complete fluids & filters ( incl brakes and trans)
    Compression and leak-down test to assess the condition of the engine and valve guides
    Cooling hoses
    Motor mounts
    Inspection of shocks and actuators
    Bow to stern, a thorough check for leaks

You’re $20K if you’re a nickel.
    But your $30K ballpark is probably closer to the mark.

But I agree with George, it is a rare car and well worth saving

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Change the inlet manifold gaskets to the latter type, and then use a boroscope to look at the backs of the inlet valves, carbon buildup
    = bad guide..s that’s how we found mine. Compression test is useless for testing guides, oil use and smoke are the others.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Compression leak-down usually gives a pretty good hint, though, with the valve no longer square on the seat.

13. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I might be interested in this car, but i'd need a lot more information. Post some pictures as a start and let's see where it goes.

14. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Also before you start this car up... how long has it been since it was run? If it's been several years you might consider not running the engine at all and getting a real good mechanic out to it to make sure all is ok before you turn the key. The last thing you want to do is damage the motor at this stage. Private message me and we can talk more.

15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    its worth 25k to 30 as a parts car....

16. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Probably. But i've been looking for a project to do. It depends on what kind of condition it's in, but you could run 60-80k into this car real fast. I'm real good with the electrical. What I would be worried about is the seals and the motor.

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    easily - i tried to buy dr mike rear ended 456 on copart couple years ago before these even lifted - went for $34.xxk ish before fees

your worried about the wrong side... the motor stuff is easy.

Il Tifoso and G. Pepper like this.
  18. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    ...... continued.......or you could post your email on here and I can get hold of you.

19. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I see the former Eric Clapton 456 M GT, RHD is for sale. About 115 thousand pounds if memory serves. Ad says only 6 RHD of this model made.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Number I have from Maranello Concessionaires is 33 UK RHD 456M GTs. May be more that went to other RHD countries. 6 from one year could be pretty close.

au-yt likes this.
  21. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    The Car has been for sale at lease a year and no movement on price. I recon 15 or more is due to the famous owner

22. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Yep! You have to wonder just how much demand there is when the car can't go anywhere other than countries that drive on the left.
    BTW that one Red 456 M that was in Cleveland, not only is the Ebay listing ended, but the car is no longer on the dealership web site. At least that I can find.

23. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    True to a point half the cars for sale in UK are LHD, The RHD market is unique as there are many less cars made so prices are higher compounded by duties.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That is a big change if half the cars are now LHD. When I was there in the 80s and early 90s about the only place you saw LHD cars was around USAF bases.

25. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme