car design thread | Page 230 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    :)
    Thanks for the suggestion. But my guys and gals have their hands full just trying to complete their regular assignments.
    Three weeks till the end of the semester, and they’re already ‘zombie like’ with a lack of sleep.
    But I’m making a mental list of possible assignments for those possible lulls in the activity :eek:

of2worlds likes this.
  2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Are there requirements on what work the students show? (Sketches, final rendering, clay model, etc.)

-F

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    This semester I’m teaching the ‘Portfolio’ class. It’s their assignment to assemble their body of work, edit it to 40 pg max, design the portfolio with the color scheme, graphics, fonts, and assemble their best work in a cohesive professional manner. They also have to design their business cards and create a resume with a ‘Linked-in’ presence. The toughest part for them is editing their work down to 20 - 40 pages. They have a hard time with the editing process because they want to show all the work they’ve done so far. And they’re competing with the best talent from around the world.

I was on the portfolio hiring team for over 25 years at my former employer and i’ve seen a thousand portfolios if I’ve seen one. They all blend together. It’s very difficult to make your work stand out when you’re competing with Art Center, Royal College of Art, Phortzeim, Strat, etc. Too many candidates for too few openings.

The work usually consists of different design projects/assignments they’ve had as students. For each project this would include the ‘big idea’, research, potential customer, sketches, final design, 3/4 front & rear renderings, package drawings, and photos of any clay/foam models they did for the project. Each project tells a story.

They send their work to the global car companies looking for full time employment and or summer internships. Very stressful times looking for limited opportunities.

furmano, anunakki and of2worlds like this.
  4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    For the portfolio do you have any preference for photographs with a glossy finish vs matte finish? Can the improper use of color influence the design image or can you 'see through' that detail to still understand the shape someone is trying to convey?

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    All the students have their work digitally on separate drives or discs. If they make hard copies to take Ho interviews it’s up to them whether or not the work is reproduced in gloss or matte, but usually if their showing shiny surfaces, glossy gets the job done. Photos of models I personally prefer glossy, but I’ve seen cases where matte can work.
    My saying in class is always: ‘There’s only one rule............there aren’t any!’ Whatever works for them.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Yes, but only alongside what you said earlier: "Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD," which for me could be the golden rule of design (even more so with mass access to digital design tools). I remember back in my MFA graphic design programme, one of my teachers, Armin Hofmann (a titan among designers and a founder of the 'Swiss school'), asked a classmate why he had done something. The student answered, "I wanted to do something different," to which Armin replied, "Ja, different, but not better."

furmano, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    At Art Center we had a prof that used to say: ‘Walking through the lobby of the Ritz-Carlton with your unit hanging out of your pants is ‘different’...........but that doesn’t make it good’ :eek:

anunakki likes this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #5733 of2worlds, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Very handsome design

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    jm2 likes this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    jm2 likes this.
  12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Overlooking the pointless "racecar", that design from Bertone would cause me to seriously consider Jaguar again......:)

anunakki, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    no B pillar :eek:

of2worlds likes this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-tesla-designs-cars-to-look-so-good-2017-11/#it-was-von-holzhausen-not-musk-who-was-the-budding-superstar-back-in-the-late-2000s-1
    • Designer Franz von Holzhausen had an impressive resume before joining Tesla.
    • But the combination of his frustration with the traditional auto industry and Elon Musk's distinctive ideas about how to solve problems has taken his work to a new level.
    • He's followed an unlikely path to becoming the most influential car designer of his generation.

16. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Right back to 1957 Cadillac!

of2worlds likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes, but no can do in today’s side impact requirements, unfortunately. Body flex is a whole ‘nuther matter. ;)

18. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    The RX8 managed to get the reverse opening doors through, so I would imagine that, with enough money to throw at the problem, the 4-door hardtop could be managed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You’re absolutely right, given enough money and materials, you can do anything. It’s always a matter of trade offs. Structural rigidity relies on the laws of physics that all mfg have to contend with. When you cut that pillar out of the body structure, somehow you have to make up for it in other ways. Flexible bodies usually are not a desired outcome of the engineering team. And we haven’t even touched on side impact. Anything is doable, but there are always trade offs. That’s why true hardtops are a rare commodity today. They exist.........but are rare compared to their pillared brothers.

of2worlds likes this.
  20. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    'Splains why the Porsche mission-e went from a nice suicide-door design to a jr. panamera........:(

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Even the ‘bank vault’ Rolls Ghost with suicide doors has a pillar, and that car is built like a concrete bunker :eek:
    The laws of physics just refuse to go away......

22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Which is the more 'safe' in general terms coupe then; the front engine design or the engine behind the driver? Similar weight and size for both vehicles.

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I don't know that the one is 'better' than the other. Depends on real world crash situations and the type of crash encountered. The more crush between you and the accident, the better;)

of2worlds likes this.
  24. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Lol. Angry insects. Too true.

-F

of2worlds likes this.
  25. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    never really understood the attraction of no B- pillar.
    you lose so much torsional strength and in the end you still have to get around the seat...

jm2 and of2worlds like this.