Danica Patrick out of NASCAR | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Danica Patrick out of NASCAR

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GuyIncognito, Sep 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    "What I've always wanted was to just be remembered as a great driver and then remembered as a girl," Patrick said. "I don't care if you remember me as a girl, of course I am, it's pretty obvious, but to be remembered as a great driver."

2. Where's the rest? It's important :):

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Oh, sorry, I missed the next paragraph:
    "I'm an idiot - I've blamed everyone but myself for my lack of success. I've taken out at least half of the people I've ever raced with and then screamed at them in pit lane. I've offered to fight men twice my size knowing full well they couldn't take me up on it. I've told everyone who will listen that I've never been given the full support of my team and I've had equipment that was somehow never quite suited to me. I've been unpleasant to almost everyone at some point and I've told fans I didn't have time for them."

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I was being kind...

No one is more annoying than Mikey.

BHW

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I was watching it live when she said that and thought WTF? That whole interview was just off. I chalked it up to emotions because love her or hate her she is leaving something that she put a lot of work into. I think most of us would give our left nut to have had the opportunity to do what she has done.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here is what she was getting at:

"I don't trust my racing skills anymore" She just blamed herself for hitting the wall and for the way her season has gone in general.

She has completely lost confidence in her driving abilities.

Jacky Stewart says when that happens to you, it's time to stop racing.

8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I would say his (idiot) brother is more annoying than Mikey but perhaps that's just because he gets more time on mic.

9. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Jackie Stewart had the right to say that considering the cars and the conditions he and others raced under. Today's drivers have far more safety and protection that truly great drivers never had. If she feels she has lost confidence is her skills, she may have come to the realization that she is/was way in over her head.While the speeds had increased so has the safety and the chance for permanent injuries or death are far less. Sometimes when you can't not produce the results that your press clippings have promoted, you have to look in the mirror and face the cold hard realty that you simply don't have the right stuff. She may have finally done that.

10. Apparently you missed my post (#150) regarding her comment while being interviewed:
    "What I've always wanted was to just be remembered as a great driver and then remembered as a girl," Patrick said. "I don't care if you remember me as a girl, of course I am, it's pretty obvious, but to be remembered as a great driver."

The egotistical twit ("a"-hem) has not.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Well stated.

It got me thinking that if he confidence is deflated, what business does she have doing Daytonner and
    Indy then?

BHW

lorenzobandini likes this.
  12. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    No, I didn't miss your comment. I just think she has been pre programmed by her handlers to believe she is a great driver. Her track record speaks for itself. One must consider the company one keeps in regards to this matter. Since they are marketing people...They love to fling the BS more than Christmas turkeys!

13. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    That question should have been asked at the start of her Indy Car and NASCAR careers. Name me one top driver in a first class ride that got to either series without wins at a lesser level? I find that racing now is simply an exercise in marketing and who can bring the biggest sponsorship to a team. Skill has little to do with the racing end of the business. Now that Princess Sparkle Pony has run out of cash cows, it is time to run one or two big races and cash in on the selling of mindless crap to people one last time. After that, you can find the crap in the discount racks in stores everywhere. It really is sad to think that yet again greed has destroyed yet another great sport.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    She had just gotten out of smoke filled, flaming car..I think her comment was simply an acknowledgement of the risks of the sport.

Death rides shotgun every time!!

Modern safety or no....

She is starting to look weary, to my eye..
    She has led a pretty hectic personal life, and also with her sponsors.....

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Maybe a Sports Illustrated shoot, on some far away beach, is the answer!!
    :D :D :D

16. Actually, I mis-wrote my response. It should have read missed the interview I wrote about as she really believed what she was saying. Having zero great results in one's career, one can only believe they're great if they're looking through their narcissist coloured glasses. :shrug:

Egads...... :p

17. Exactly. ;)

18. Not surprised, but, really?

And "much as her Indy 500 record made her an IndyCar superstar". What special record is that? I'll reluctantly concede decent. Superstar though???

Egads. I can't even utilise smilies on this one.

Anywho, Happy Thanksgiving. :)

19. How the heck.....? :confused:
    I swear I didn't do that....... :eek:

Duly reported as there's no delete option.

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Wow, Holly Cain writes for NASCAR now. She used to write about racing for the Tampa Tribune back when Tom McEwen was
    the editor and "Ma Trib" was relevant.

NASCAR will always give a slant to their drivers to make them out to be the best in the world. We hear it all the time. But,
    even as we saw with Dario Franchitti, it isn't so easy to transition to NASCAR from real racing.

The proof will be in the details come Daytonner and Indy next year. No doubt Danica will garner a large amount of
    PR at Daytonner (much to the chagrin of drivers who actually deserve it) and will qualify no problem. But, she's going
    to have to actually qualify at Indy and she hasn't driven one of these cars in anger for (what?) ten years now. It's not
    going to be a cake walk.

BHW

21. Whatever she ever does at Daytona, Indy, or both; there's no "proving" she's a superstar in either. Her history to date negates that.

Having not driven an IndyCar in anger in years (6) holds no water.....Kyle Busch never had.(2014) ;)

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #173 BartonWorkman, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Despite Earnhardt, Jr. Jr. Jr. and Danica's "last race" at Homestead, ratings drop significantly.

NBCS had 22 hours of coverage? I mean, who watches 22 hours of coverage of anything?
    There are actually still people out there who have to watch every lap of every practice session
    evidently if NBCS is actually selling advertising to pay for all this hype.

The loss of over 1M viewers, though, has likely sent shockwaves through the fake wood paneled
    walled offices in Daytonner and they're likely meeting now to figure out how to further drive what's
    left of the sport into the ground.

http://www.racer.com/north-american-racing/item/145896-tv-ratings-nascar-s-homestead-finale

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Busch had no baseline to go from, no pre-conceived notions.

Danica, on the other hand, had several seasons in Indy Cars and they've changed a good deal from
    her previous experience. If the deal actually materializes, she'd better put away her preconceived notions
    of what the cars were like six years ago.

BHW

24. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I think it will be interesting and interesting is what the sport(s) really need