Ferrari of Washington | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Ferrari of Washington

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by italiafan, Jan 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Yup, the bill was a bit extreme, but far worse (for me) was the sense of being played for a fool and my loss of love for the car.

I didn't need a new clutch / bearing -- they misdiagnosed the problem, but I ended up having to pay the labor for their mistake. If they had simply acknowledged this and offered to remove some of the labor I'd be fine.

I actually have my doubts about many of the other repairs they claim I needed. I have the "bad" variator solonoids and have been meaning to build a test jig to pressurize them with air (less viscous than oil) and switch them a few thousand times. If the pressure doesn't drop then I figure they were probably ok... Seem reasonable?

2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

What a hideous waste of a rare and beautiful coupe.

3. nova996

nova996 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    I heard Greg Miller left FoW recently. Does anyone know where he went?

4. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    He and one of FOW's customers bought IAP Racing. I went in last week to get my track inspection and James helped me and was great.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Really? I can't believe Paul sold out already. It must be hard to make the numbers work.

6. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I think Paul may still be there for now. I think those models are very hard. I've seen numerous guys try something similar and it not work, you need some seriously deep pockets and years to even start breaking even.

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Greg lasted a long time. Terry and Glen before him only lasted in that position about a year each. Good on him being able to buy IAP. I know the guy who started IAP, fellow named Steve. Wonder if he's still involved. Would be super surprised if IAP completely changed hands.

8. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Has anyone had standard service (belts, etc.) done on their Ferrari at IAP? I heard some questionable things but, to be frank, I am unsure of the reliability of the source of my information. Curious what others' experiences are.

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The only service I've had there was a few years back, they replaced shocks on my 599. My experience was excellent. I think the world of Greg Miller, and if he's still partnered with Steve, he is as stand up as they come.

That being said though, with your vintage Ferrari, unless they've picked up a vintage mechanic I would take it to competitione.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

10. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Bob, appreciated. I got a 360 six speed earlier this year and was considering them for smaller stuff as an option simply given proximity but likely will stick with Competizione. Nothing against IAP, but Fernando and Richard are excellent and why change if its not broken.

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think the young guys at FOW are pretty seasoned at this point, too. I'd have zero issue trusting them with a 360. Losing Greg Miller though is a blow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

12. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    The main Ferrari tech at FOW is good and has been there a while. The new service guy James was great for my track inspection. Always here good things about Competizone as well.

13. 360Doctor

360Doctor Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2007
    United States
    Full Name:
    Michael
  14. blue_book

blue_book Rookie

Apr 1, 2017
    DMV
    Apparently Greg Miller has purchased IAP's sales and service businesses, but IAP will continue with fabrication and upgrades.

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Paul is still there for now leasing a bay and has use of the facility. I plan to use Greg for all my services for all cars.

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    He's a nice guy. We'll see what he quotes next I need something. Last time was the 599 and he was at FoW and they quoted me $13,500 to replace two shocks, $6k per corner in parts and 10 hours labor. I bought the shocks from Eurospares at $1500 a piece and IAP charged 3hrs labor. As long as he hasn't brought any FoW with him, I'm sure I'll work with him as well.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That is nuts...

LARRYH likes this.
  18. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Thought I should report that I had an excellent experience with James Pollack at FoW recently. My FF was due for its annual, and everything went smoothly from scheduling and completing the scheduled work, state inspection and a minor maintenance issue. Communication was great, he even offered to meet me during Thanksgiving weekend off-hours if I couldn't get there before the holiday.

Zinger likes this.
  19. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I would say that my limited experience with this dealership, in relation with other F dealers around the US, is that these folks are COMPLETE IDIOTS.

20. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Tell us how you really feel!

21. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    lol, nicely done

BaronM69 likes this.
  22. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Specifics?
    T

23. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

When I showed them my just completed in the past three years ground up Concours restoration of my award winning '77 308 GTB, would you like to guess what they asked me? Do you have any service records? When was the last belt change? The car just came out of restoration!! As far as I'm concerned they should have their dealership revoked for gross incompetence. They were beyond insulting, it simply showed that they had absolutely no idea what they were looking at. These guys are cabbage salesmen. Is that specific enough?

24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yes, thank you for sharing...T

25. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name: