New to me 964 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New to me 964

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Oengus, Oct 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I've heard this before - why is the C4 not as fun as the C2?

2. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Weight is a primary issue. I think the C4 was about 250 lbs heavier than the C2 for the 964 (it's less of a difference for most other 911 models IIRC). In what was a pretty strange decision on Porsche's part, the 964 was released only as a C4 model initially -- they didn't add the C2 until a year or two later. That decision added to the "great but heavy" 964 reputation when it was released, which is only 50% true for the C2 :).

The 4wd also makes it feel quite a bit less sporting, but the tradeoff is that the C4 is more composed. The video below does a pretty good comparison of C2 versus C4 (it's for a later model, but I think it's true generally true for all 911's). I had a C4 996 a long time ago and it was amazing in the snow with winter tires. What I didn't know at the time is that the C2 is almost as good in the snow with winter tires because the engine is in the rear -- would have definitely bought a C2 instead of the C4 back then if I knew that.

3. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    That brings back good memories, and as someone who has changed steering wheels in over 400 (including 39 of my 41 Porsche's)of my own cars I am pretty sure that you will need a bit more than just some spacers if you try and use a 996 steering wheel and airbag (and not have blow up in your face). What I did (not the cheapest way) was to buy a second wheel (I still do this just put a S63 AMG wheel and airbag in my S class sedan) and get someone to remake it for you. Air bags are not as simple as it looks (car companies like BMW change connectors and shapes after just couple of years) and you are looking at technology from totally different eras. You would need wiring diagrams and for safety would to know how the airbags work in both cars. You would not want to hit a bump and have it blow up in your face and cause what could be a very bad situation.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you are correct, a bit more complicated than I had previously mentioned but it can be done.

here's a RL thread on the topic. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/78744-996-steering-wheel-on-a-964-a.html

btw...changed steering wheels in 400 cars....you must be very particular about your steering wheels ;)

6. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    :eek: I don't know if you realize this Carnut, but you just might be a car nut

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Yes, very particular autistic people have a thing for tactile feel. My new steering wheel for my Evora 400 (redline is making it) left Poland today, will be here next Wednesday. I have had 3 even 4 wheels made to get the exact feel I like. I have learned over these many years that almost anything can be done if you really want to do it.

8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Would love to see some of your custom steering wheels if you have pics (preferably Porsche wheels to remain on topic)

9. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    +1

10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Great Color combo. Look forward to the lowered new stance.

Robb

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have only two Porsche's now and one is the 718 Cayman S I bought my girlfriend this year, the other in my 997 which is in winter storage I will see if I have any pictures of the steering wheels. Good luck with your 964 I really like the color combination.

12. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    It's a 30k 964 in an ultra rare color combination. Put the correct wheels back on and don't ruin it with aftermarket bits and chopped up suspension. Nice car.

Island Time and peterp like this.
  13. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Pretty sure the OP has sold this car. It's listed for sale again with the dealer he bought it from.

Island Time likes this.
  14. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

thats correct, once you drive/own a ferrari a 964 just feels way to slow LOL
    I had an agreement with the seller that I could send back within 5 days for a full refund.
    I think he already has a buyer for 5k more than I paid for it. Its a beautiful 964 thats for sure.

mclaudio and GuyIncognito like this.
  15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My 87' 911 is as fast as my '83' 308, but the 308 does sound and feel as though it is much faster.;)

peterp likes this.
  16. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I had an '87 Carrera 3.2 and an '86 Mondial 3.2 at the same time for a while, a long time ago, and had the exact same experience. I loved the Carrera 3.2, and had been a big-time Porsche person since pretty much birth, but the Mondial 3.2 was just so alive and engaging that it made the 911 feel a bit boring. I was so smitten with driving the Mondial that it actually turned me off to Porsche for a while. Eventually I came back to my senses and realized that Porsche is just as awesome in its own understated way.

17. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Is the car still available? Link?

18. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That particular 964 is one good looking car. I've always dismissed the 964 because the memory that has been (until this thread) permanently etched in my brain was from when it first came out and I thought it was way too bulky and too heavy (it was only available in 4wd for the first year or so). Time, however, has been kind to its styling. What looked "bulky" and overweight in period looks "muscular" and great now, pretty much from all angles.

19. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Agree. when this car came out it was a bastardized of the old and the new. Old shape with new bumpers. No one wanted it for years. Now....those very styling cues makes it seem timeless.

These cars have aged nicely

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

"Sally Carrera" would agree.