Shock Replacement question | FerrariChat

Shock Replacement question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by woody byrd, Nov 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    The dealer recommends replacement in pairs. I would agree it is more critical in the front, but has anyone replaced just one rear shock, and if so, was it successful?

2. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    What car and what problem?

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    On older Ferraris (1960s-early 1990), the Koni shocks had a tendency to lock-up over time. They should be rebuilt/replaced in pairs. On more modern cars with bilsteins or magnaride shock, if just one shock is leaking, I would replace just the defective shock. It kind of depends on the car. What year/model is it, and how many miles are on it? How has the shock failed?

4. woody byrd

Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Sorry, on my shock question I am asking regarding a 2007 599 GTB with Magnaride Shocks.

5. woody byrd

Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    This is regarding a 2007 599 with Magnaride shocks

6. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    #6 Mor, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    I’ve change just left front and then check suspension geometry and done suspension relearn procedure. Everything is perfect with a car and here I often drive 200km/h+ when in hurry.
    As you can see, the shock start to leak badly.
    At this time I’ve change lower and higher ball joints, ball tie rods, bar buffers with new stainless clamps and all new screws and nuts - both sides.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I would recommend replace/repair in pairs. You could find an issue where the damping rate is no longer equal. I see you are in North Carolina. I know of some who have had shock rebuilt by RE Suspension. http://resuspension.com/index.php/product-service/
    You should contact them.

8. Signor Buona Wrencha

Jun 21, 2008
    Albuquerque
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I don't know of anyone that rebuilds MagneRide shocks. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to find out who does rebuild them. It's my understanding that there's a proprietary fluid containing iron in them. Ricambi shows the 599 shocks as not available.

9. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
  10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Both front and rear shocks superseded to new numbers, 257058 and 257059 respectively. They're about $2000/ea. We've sold them as individual pieces before, but I've always 'heard' they should be replaced in pairs.

Woody, on my Aston Martin the same dealer advised me to change shocks in pairs. I insisted on only doing 1x and everything was perfectly fine with the car's handling, stability, and performance.

11. woody byrd

Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Thank you guys. I might add if it matters, the mileage is 12,500. Please come with more comments if you have them.

12. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    I can say one thing. When there will be a problem with my other shock on 599, I will replace only this one shock, as before and then check everything.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

13. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    I offer a comment on pair vs single replacement.

If not "magnetic" shocks, both shocks oil, springs and bushings have derogated together.
    In this case I would replace (or rebuild) in pairs.

If "mag" I understand the oil has no expiration plus this oil is not serviceable or replaceable.
    In this case, I would replace just one, yet update the non-replaced side's shock rubber bushings (eg wear items) if need be.

So there's my two cents added to the conversation.

taz355 likes this.
  14. woody byrd

Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Daniel,
    Was the one shock you replaced on the Aston Martin a Magnaride, or same Ferrari uses?

15. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    If Ferrari has changed the part number as Daniel from Ricambi states, then they have made a change in the shock. It could be just a slight redesign such a better seals that don't leak, or it could be a change in the valving inside the shock. There is no way to know unless you put both shocks on a shock dyno, connected a Magnaride ECU and measured/compared their performance. In order to ensure that the car handles properly, I would recommend replacing the shocks in pairs.

16. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Brian, I'd say in 99% of cases you are correct but believe it or not, we recent came across a superseded part number for a part that had zero changes. I questioned it and was told it does happen from time to time. I'm trying to remember what the part was....I think it was a steering column cover.

17. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    And there is a change in company that makes the shocks. Now they are made in Poland in chinese company.

Wysłane z iPad za pomocą FerrariChat

18. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    He can always replace just the bad shock and then drive the car. There is virtually no labor overlap/savings in replacing both. Even if there is a minor difference in valving, I doubt that most people would be able to feel it.

Mor likes this.
  19. woody byrd

Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I had it in mind to replace both fronts, because right front is leaking. What is confusing is, I feel the hard ride in the seat and rear end. Wouldn't I feel the bad front in the steering wheel?. I thought I would decide on one or two rears if the new fronts don't fix the problem

20. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That is a great reference. Looks like they have three densities of this product available. This one you linked is the "least dense" of the three. How did you know this is the correct one? I only ask out of curiosity. I am thinking that weight of the vehicle may play into it but also response time?

MRF-122EG
    Viscosity, Pa-s @ 40°C (104°F)
    Calculated as slope 500-800 sec-1

0.042 ± 0.020
    Density, g/cm3 (lb/gal)
    2.28 (2.48)
    Solids Content by Weight, %

MRF-132EG

0.112 ± 0.02
    Density, g/cm3 (lb/gal)
    2.95-3.15 (24.6-26.3)

MRF-140CG

0.280 ± 0.070
    Density, g/cm3 (lb/gal)
    3.54-3.74 (29.5-31.2)

21. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    I picked the first one that I saw, simple.

You would have to measure the volume of fluid in the shock, calculate and then choose the approriate density.

Of course its not gauranteed that the density of the factory shock Fluid is not one of the 3 above-could be something custom, but you could mix them if needed.

The response rate would definitely be effected by the changing the fluid outside the calibrated dynamic range of the shock ECU/controller. Changing the spring/mass of the system will change its response time and behavior.

I don't know how you would tune the system to a different Ferro Fluid without hacking the Shock ECU and understanding exactly the variables used to write the functions and changing for example the density of the fluid variable.

Also to consider the force of the mangetic field applied to the fluid will be limited to a certain range. Fluid outside that range would behave differently.

If you are looking to rebuild these shocks best thing is of course to carefully dismantle a shock and start investigating the fluid first.

Could be an opportunity for an enterprising individual as it appears one Polish company is already doing this, to some degree the market has been validated.