Tow Hook Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tow Hook Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Need4Spd, Jun 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, you were correct. What was surprising, though, was that there were quite a lot more metal flakes given off by the process than I expected.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ferrari factory doesn't take any quality control point at this tow hook ... was never actually checked.

They believe you don't need it .... car will never fail ...:)

So readers here: get the towhook thread cleaned befor you go off to a trackday !

Smiles and Need4Spd like this.
  3. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Thanks to the kind folks on this thread, I was able to figure out the mess that is the tow hook thread issue. I know it's been said, but I'll just confirm.

458 Speciale
    · Tow hook thread = M16 x 1.5
    · Tow hook thread is common with Subaru BRZ
    · Factory tow hook threads are no good -- I highly highly recommend getting a M16 x 1.5 tap and chasing the threads.

I purchased the tap here: https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American-21158-16MM-1-50-Carbon/dp/B000CD3ME6

I purchased a 3/8 female to female adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TKDN1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to allow me to use a 3/8 drive extension to reach the tow hook point. It's deep within the bumper so a tap wrench just hits the bumper.

Note that I needed to grind the tap down a bit to get it to fit into the adapter -- it's slightly larger than 3/8".

Remember when chasing the thread, gently rotate the tap counter clockwise a bit to ensure you're centered and not chasing the thread at an angle. WARNING: If you f* this up, it will permanently cross-thread your tow hook point. So don't f* it up.

Once you get it chased, your factory tow hook should fit nicely.

I ended up using this tow hook (http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Folding-Tow-Hook-Screw-Type/productinfo/E13.119/171MM/) which also supports a GoPro Mount (http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-GoPro-Camera-Tow-Hook-Mount/productinfo/PH01/)

Need4Spd likes this.
  4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx Rich.

We used another tapper which was longer and that handles it more easy.

I see no reason not to use the oem towhook the very few occasions tht its use is required ... bur the Rennline looks nice indeed :D

5. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Hello everyone, I have a quick question. My tow hook went missing. I ordered and received another cover for my 2010 458. The cover is loose and falls out. My questions are, how do I attach it properly? It is the wrong shade, Ricambi offered no other options, does anyone have a recommendation on me getting the darker plastic?

Regards
    Fr33:D

6. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Edit...my tow hook cover went missing...sorry

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    So, no problem without it imo.

Post a photo to show us the hole ...

8. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Paint it black and use two drops of one-minute glue ...

Need4Spd likes this.
  10. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Oh yes, indeed -- I agree!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Golattus likes this.
  11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The cover is snap-fit. It’s supposed to have a tether on the back that goes through a slot in the car to prevent it from getting lost. The tether end has thin, v-shaped fingers like you find attaching price tags to clothing items in a store.

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Amazing spot ! Yours ?

What does your Phone there at this time ? Filming or ... ?

13. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Yes but my cover is loose, it falls out unassisted. I do have the tether, with it the cover hangs, doesn't snap in place.

14. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Yep! Some awesome track photography at this event.

The iPhone is acting as my track telemetry data. Forgot to bring my USB for the in-car tracking. I'm using Harry's Lap Timer.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    O.K. never used Harry's Lap Timer ...

Off-Topic: is that working satisfactory fior you ?

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Sorry to hear that. Since the cover is new, albeit the wrong shade of blue, there is probably a tab missing from the bumper cover hole, or the retaining edge is worn or gone. If you look on the back of the new cover, you can probably figure out if it’s possible to fix the bumper cover.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    1st world problems

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Although a very old thread …

Yes, if you are on a trackday and need that hook installed … and it does not fit: it's a problem because of a no-go for the track :)

19. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    hehehe I know.... my original clutch is on 67,000kms now so I'd like to be prepared in case of a tow on the street. Bought a generic tow hook on eBay m16 x1.5 but I measured the pitch at 2.0mm no wonder it wont go in.
    My dealer stole the tool bag and even the manual + service logs.

20. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Wow, thread from the dead!

It was a monster of a job to figure this one out, but I'm glad I did. I kept the thread chaser I made just so I wouldn't have to deal with this again. I couldn't believe the amount of shavings coming out. I really do think they tried to cast the thread rather than tapping it properly. I also doubt that there was a thread gauge used to verify the thread at the factory as part of their quality control. I suggest doing the same so you're not there on track day dealing with this.

Off-topic -- Yes! Good alternative to hauling a ton of gear to the track. Only issue is due to the OIS and focusing mechanisms in mobile phone cameras, the image can be wobbly as those cameras aren't made to handle the vibrations coming from a car (esp. one on track). Best setup would be filming with iPhone + a GoPro or other external camera. With some post processing, you can get some pretty clean overlays. For data, ideally an OBDII reader with a BTLE connection back to the phone gets you more accurate data for the vehicle.

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, or all of the above. I’m not alone with this problem. A number of buddies have reported at least difficulties getting the tow hook threads started. A few have chased the threads with a tap like I did.

Even if you never track your car, you might need a tow at some point. If you haven’t verified your tow hook threads properly, you ought to, else you get stuck or the tow operator uses a suspension arm to pull or secure your car, and the (very expensive) arm gets bent.

Melvok likes this.
  22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Been looking at the price of suspension parts (and parts in general) just out of curiosity and you ain't joking about expensive. Like you got to be kidding me expensive. Nothing is remotely reasonable. I try to guess what some parts are and then look them up and it can be 5-10X! Guess what a front wheel bearing costs.

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    How about $ 2000 for that front bearing ? Or so … I have no clue …

On my 512TR the rear bearing was $ 2000 + service costs … :eek:

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I think that's about right. The rear is cheaper than the front. Back in the day bearings were $10 and they would last the life of the car if you repacked them a couple times. Just saw that my car shows it has four radiators with the oil radiator alone at $1300 online.

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Techniques in future will even bring us more and more ECUs, sensors and other crap …. :)