Go-bag for your 328? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Go-bag for your 328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by ducowti, Apr 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    So now that I have all this repair stuff ... where do I put my skivvies?

2. JuttyM

JuttyM Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    Redditch, UK
    Full Name:
    Justin Miller
    ...where do i put the wife ???

Seriously though, is it male connectors or females connectors on the jumper, cuz i'm gettin' mixed messages.

3. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    On our 1500 miler last fall I packed all of the above and then some. I would only add to the list a pocket GPS, Radio Shack Multi meter, mini cigarette lighter air pump, Rain X and a Glock. I had enough tools and parts to rebuild not only my own car but anyone elses on our trip. I figured that I would be doing some on the road sorting on our 77GTB as I had only owned it for a few months at the time. As it is not cool for a mechanics car to break down and be left on the side of the road, there were tools and parts packed in every open crevis.

Used the mini air pump once as it has a contained work light, used the Rain X multiple times as the only mechanical failure was the wiper motor and used the multi meter once to fix the temp installed CD player when a jumper wire came off.

When I was playing a mechanic on the Colorado Grand through the mountains in unfamilure areas I would just hit a marker button on the GPS when ever we would pass a parts store. Some of the smallest towns have a Napa, bar and a gas station, all you need to know is how far back it is. A Napa store in a small farming town can be one of the friendliest places on earth and they seem to always be willing to open every box on the shelves to find a part that will work for any application.

Dave

NoGoSlow likes this.
  4. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    I usually throw in:
    a copy of the shop/parts manual.
    A few latex gloves.
    Coveralls.
    A super large "paper" shop towell, (large enough to lay down on).
    Volt/Ohm meter, chunk of 12 gauge wire and strippers.
    3/8ths socket set with extensions, swivel & stubby.
    Halon fire extinguisher, (it is a carbed car).
    stubby screw drivers.
    2 cans of fix a flat, (360 wheels do not fit in the trunk and i have not told my wife that there is even room in the front trunk, just the back - otherwise, you know what happens to your "go kit", it shrinks and your go kit goes on a diet).
    one can of brake clean.
    Roll of paper towells.
    Glass cleaner.
    oil.
    first aid kit
    Very small bottle of Chivas Regal for celebrations or anesthesia, (pain relief).
    Voodo Prayer Beads & pamphlet of incantations for really bad problems, or when some f@#cker cuts you off.
    HTH,
    chris

5. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    In classic cars, I carry the stuff in Chris' list above, but I also add:

- fuses
    - relays (one or two of the most common ones, and a spare of any crucial one that is known to fail on the model)
    - Electrical tape
    - Zip ties
    - Small pliers
    - Small vise grip
    - old pair of jeans and shirt instead of coveralls (personal preference)
    - bottle of rubbing alcohol instead of brake cleaner (for cleaning both parts and hands, and less prone to explode in a hot car)
    - depending on the car and likely failures, I might do 1/4" sockets/ratchet instead of 3/8"
    - combination wrenches of the most common sizes found all over the car (usually 10, 11, 12, 13, 17, 19mm -- not sure if this is the case for 3X8s)
    - tube of silicone RTV gasket maker
    - utility knife
    - 1 liter of coolant in addition to the oil
    - quality flashlight

:)

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Foremost, a cell phone & AAA number programmed into it.
    I have the standard ferrari tool kit, jack, spare, spare belts, spare plugs, spare fuses etc.
    halon extinguisher
    flashlight
    pocketknife
    Extra change in the ash tray (now felt lined for such purposes)
    a fuse jumper
    electrical tape (for a ruptured cooling hose et al)
    a small fiberglass pencil to clean electrical contacts
    a small throw-away paper table cloth for the ground in case I need to get under the car
    a pair of mechnics gloves
    A 3x5 card with local repair shops & their phone numbers & address for the AAA tow truck
    a microfiber towel for driving when the windows fog.
    (2) quarts oil
    1/2 gal antifreeze

7. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike

*** Laughing**....Mike thanks, the 'flaming' I was referring to was from the audience, thought I may offend some with my dry ...eerrrr tongue in cheek sense of homor.
    Also thanks for validating my 'list' for people like me who look at the car and say WOW....but look at the engine/mechanicals & say...what the *@##** ??...
    Oh yea we also have Dave Helms on speed dial.

Mike

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The jumper wire should have MALE connectors on it! (my bad)

9. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Fire ext, condoms, and the little coil hose from Harbor Frieght that has the screw on end on one end of the hose and an air chuck on the other end. Will reach about 20 feet and you can transfer air from another tire(either one of yours or if no one is looking the car next to you)

syata likes this.
  10. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    This is a great set of items for a Go Bag. I made it into a Word document. Most of it is on there.

Attached Files:

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You can take a fire extinguisher, a CO2 one. No more.

Check the car before the trip, make sure the fuse box is ok and the radiator fan switch is not too old (and the battery too). Then you just need the mobile phone and some cash (and a credit card could help too).

Ciao

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I mean that if the car has been serviced, it's quite reliable and you can go where you want. The battery, the fuse box and the radiator fan switch are the only (more or less) things that can force you to call a rescue truck, so just check them (and replace if they have many years). Other problems usually don't appear suddendly, so don't happens in the mid of a trip.

ciao

13. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I only take 2 things. 1-AAA membership. 2- Wallet. Hard to imagine effectively working on the car on the side of the road.

thorn and 1stFerrari@71 like this.
  14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Here is my list:
    1. Small socket set
    2. Fuses - of all sizes
    3. wire splicer / tape
    4. oil
    5. zip ties
    6. mulit meter / or tester ...
    most of my 328 woes have been electrical in nature... anything mechanical - get towed.

15. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
  16. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Well I must I must.......chime in. All of the above is why I sold my 84 BBI, same as a 308 when it comes to road trip worries.
    I have the solved the problem for me........I bought a 430, problem solved.
    Required items on a road trip, fuel and a female passenger.

17. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    #42 eyeman1234, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    One day I couldn't leave a parking lot in my F430 because I had showed a friend my engine (and couldn't close the lid without oiling the lock lever spring)...never happened in my 328! In 19 years of ownership I never got stuck in my 328 and it has 47K miles. And BTW only the 328 can be push started if I run the battery down!!

P.S. I have them both...for now. One year ago I had a gated 360 and the 328- which one do you think I
    kept?

18. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    A good auto fire extinguisher is the best thing in an old car.

http://www.h3rperformance.com/

If you've done all the right work on your car - that's all you need besides your phone.

19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I restored or fully serviced all my cars (all 3X8) and I usually leave home even without the tool roll, I haven't any fire extinguisher on the car nor any tool and I never had any problem on any of them during any trip. The 430 is just newer, the 328 and the carbed 308 are much more reliable than any 430. When the 430 will become 40 years old, in my opinion it will have much more problems than any 308-328

Ciao

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I carry the same stuff I carry in my '17 Hyundai...nothing other than the OEM jack/spare tire in case of a puncture. The 328 has never let me down and I don't expect it to. It has been as reliable as any other car I have owned.

21. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have a gallon of coolant, 1 qt oil, funnel, fire ext, fuses, and a screwdriver. I don't even carry a jack or spare tire.

Anything I can't fix with that, I'm calling for free towing. Changing belts, plugs, and hoses on the side of the road? No thanks.

22. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    nylon stocking....in case your alternator or waterpump belt breaks.
    Guido