MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 67 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Well now we are comparing a 488 to a Tesla? Give me a break. Tesla is hideous and I wonder what their sports exhaust sounds like :confused: And at the end of the day it's a Tesla. Period.

No one is cross shopping a 488 or 720 and a Tesla...even this new vaporware coupe.

Back to 488 v 720, a buddy received his last week while I was in Scottsdale, it's a sweet ride. I've never driven a car so damn fast--it's insane. I don't get wrapped around the .01 more or less, but I can tell you having driven both now, it would be very hard to me not to consider a 720 over a 488. 720 doesn't sound as good as 488 (and that is not saying much) and the interior gives me a much roomier feel (man that glass interior is incredible--just wonder how damn hot it will get in summer). The interior fit and finish is a step above 488 (to me) as well as the little things like the knobs. I did not like the short shifter paddles though.

Calling dealers there are some slots next year available. I'll tell you what, just not having to deal with the F-Car dealer BS would be worth it alone. But that aside, if someone forced me to spend $330k, my first call would be to a McLaren dealer. Honest feedback from a former 458 owner (and someone who thinks the 488 is a great car).

Jo Sta7 and Afonsolaw like this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Before you make a decision, drive the Performante. Nothing matches the speed of the 720S, but driving dynamics and excitement thereby engendered is another matter.

3. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    That's a fair point. I'm not a Lambo guy anymore (my Huracan was probably my last), I bet that P is a beast on track, not so great for quasi DD (which is what I want).

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If your idea of a DD includes the 488, Huracan, or 720S, the Performante can do so as well so long as you get the comfort seats

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    McLaren Fanboy checking in...

Someone just did 9.80 @ 147.46 MPH

Afonsolaw likes this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Drag racing again...
    There is so much more in a (super)car IMHO.

stavura likes this.
  7. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I said quasi daily...2-3 days. And I prefer race seats--on all cars. I'll see if I can get my hands on one to try, but 720s overall (looks, ride, etc) might be hard to beat. I only track 2-4 times a year depending on schedule, so let's face it, they are all overkill. But so are all super cars ;)

8. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    I guess drag racing means a lot to others.
    I personally couldn't care less if a car can do 9.80 @ 147.46 MPH. Smiles per miles is WAY more important in my humble opinion.

Roland1688 and Afonsolaw like this.
  9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And the 720S has all that too, except maybe engine sound.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  10. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    This thread is funny ... why do people buy bmw and Mercedes and Porsche etc. they are not "the fastest" car out there but they are special in their own right. Ferrari is special to me! All great cars... everybody enjoy safely.

stavura likes this.
  11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    So I just finished renting a 720S for 24 hours in Vegas. No limitations were put on the car except I couldn't disable traction control. Put approximately 350 miles (8 hours total) of canyon driving during the time I had it.

For context, this is the first McLaren I've driven, and I currently own a Speciale, which was my primary point of comparison. That might add some bias, so take that for what you will.

What I enjoyed:
    • The 720S is blisteringly fast. There's just no other way to put it. The feeling of acceleration far exceeds that of the Speciale
    • Ease of use: Noticeable more comfortable and usable than any 458 trim. The visibility is great for a mid engine super car, but equal to most front engined two door coupes.
    • Comfortable: compliant ride for such a capable car
    What I did not enjoy:
    • Sound: this probably was the biggest let down. The car doesn't sound good at all! It's not loud nor is it a pleasant tone. Even twin-turbo AMG engines sound much better than the 720S. It is worth noting that the rental did not have the sport exhaust option
    • Personality: the car felt fast but devoid of personality. This is the hardest thing to explain, but I did not feel the car was really exciting beyond the acceleration

Overall, I was lukewarm with the 720S. Acceleration is fun but does get old after a while. The rest of the car felt really limited on the excitement front, and in the end, I noticed I was no longer mentally comparing the car to my Speciale, but moreso to my daily driver, an 16' AMG C63S, because the driving experience felt more similar to that car instead of the Speciale. I know that sounds crazy, since the 720S is a mid engine super car, but it's so compliant that it actually feels like a normal car that has insane performance, which is exactly how I feel about AMG cars. In the end, I felt like I should have rented the GT3 RS they had instead.

TL;DR: The 720S felt like a normal car with abnormal performance capabilities, but if I'm spending near $400k, I want something with more excitement and emotion.

12. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sounds reasonable to me.

13. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for a very good post

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m in total agreement on driving dynamics (having not driven the Perf). Having both would be great :)

15. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Nice write up indeed. I need to fly out there and do the same before spending $350k. When I drove my friends in AZ it was just for a short period and based upon your review, I have concerns. Mainly that 'Tesla effect' of getting enamored about speed, but it wears off after about a day and you're stuck with a car with zero engagement. My friend has been honest and stated that exact term--not as 'engaged' with the 720 over his previous 488. 720 is faster and nicer interior, but that 'engagement' piece is key to me long AND short term. I will head out to LV and try this out.

Thank you for posting review.

16. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Nice posting.

I have 8K miles in my speciale, 1,200 miles in 720s.

Since I've had the 720s - 1,200 miles and 30 miles in speciale. It's not the new car affect either. 720s is more daily driveable and it does the job on track -:)

17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If you read my earlier review posted on this thread whereby I compare the Huracan Performante, 720S and the 488, my experience echoes yours.

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I love the look of the carbon fibre sport seats and if you spend no more than an hour or 2 in them, they are comfortable enough. Longer drives will result in a sore ass.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Theoretically, on paper, without ever driving the car, the 720S has it all. Virtual reality at its finest. Next up - a blow up doll that performs better than any real woman can.

stavura, TheMayor and SoCal to az like this.
  20. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    Interesting to see how things turned out. I think by now it is clear that the 720S is a bit of a snore - and it has that horribly dully McLaren interior. I’m sorry, but just about any Ferrari - and certainly a 488 or an 812 with which the 720 competes on price - is ten tons more interesting and engaging. I admire McLaren but they just have not cracked that. I might even buy a 720 on the used market, where depreciation has been pretty significant from what I understand, just to experience their way of doing things again. But emotionally, Ferrari is still king. At least for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    That is why it is vitally important to thoroughly test drive any car in which one is interested prior to purchase. Everyone has their own hierarchy of preferences and priorities and it is precisely for those reasons that different makes and models exist, each offering their own individual characteristics, attributes and compromises.

Illogical and LVP488 like this.
  22. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    cidipedia translation: Buy what you want.

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    To me, the 720S was the best car I've ever driven. I prioritize comfort and usability though. I rarely if ever will go to a drag strip or a track. I also don't like a car that's overly loud (my Camaro ZL1 is as loud as I'll go). I think the shame of the 720S is that it sounds better from the outside than the inside (along with my Camaro, actually). You'd have to think Mclaren could have either A. pumped the exhaust note into the cabin B. took out some sound deadening which would have lightened the car even more, or C. given it half of that massive blowoff noise from the P1 which is fun. Sound is the only thing I would have changed on the 720. I don't think that speed would get old.

But that's my opinion. Everyone has different criteria, like you said. Until someone other than the government starts telling me how to spend my money I'll continue to buy what I like.

lee2468 likes this.
  24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You sound exactly like my girlfriend when she chose a Lexus over a Maserati.

The things she valued where things I really don't care about when I want to drive.

I can use Uber and it's even more comfortable and usable. But I'd rather drive something that excites me.

25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If your girlfriend has the cars I have I’d say never let her go Mayor