Maranellos are disappearing | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It has always been valid, whatever the period: on the continent (Italy, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany...) a red Ferrari has to have a black interior; then "Beige" comes only a distant second.
    In France, during the 328 bracket (Sept 1985 to Sept 1989), the "Crema" leather was not even proposed by Pozzi for red 328s: there is NO known red 328 (GTB or GTS) with a "crema" interior among the 550 328s sold by Pozzi.
    And the preference for black leather for a red Ferrari is still valid today.
    In the US, "Beige" seems to be the prefered color for leather on Red Ferraris.

Rgds

2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    If France had 100 degree days every summer like we do in the southern US, black interiors would not be so popular. My 456M was red and tan, and my 360 is yellow and tan.

My 308 is silver and black, but I don't drive it on hot days. It's a fall through spring car here.

3. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Interesting point. Think the choose of colors is really linked to the different countries... Germans like red/silver/black cars mainly combined with black interiors. Italians had some different point of view, combining different colours (…shades of blue, but also gray) with cream interiors, but red/black as well.

The US color scheme of red/crema seems to me be typical for cars of that part of the world…

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Beige is much more popular than Crema here in the US, as is Nero, Cuoio, and even Bordeaux.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think Crema/cream is a quite British thing.

I would swap my Nero 550 interior for Crema in an instant - though keep the black carpets, unlike the auction car. (Hope my car's feelings aren't hurt). Mind, much as I like Rosso Corsa, I'd probably swap the whole scheme for Canna di Fucile over.. over.. hmm..

I wouldn't swap my 575 (TDF/Beige) for anything.

F456M likes this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Crema leather with Rosso Corsa is "quite" British, yes; it has been the favorite color combo in the UK for many years ("Crema" being usuall called "Magnolia" in the UK) and, as you say, mainly with red carpets also.
    You would find "some" cars in Crema leather with Rosso Corsa in Italy, but none in France.
    However, "Crema" leather with other colors (Blue, for instance) can be find all over Europe. It is the "Rosso Corsa/Crema leather/Rosso carpets" which is very british.
    (I never was very fond of Rosso Corsa for the 550/575; To me, Rosso Corsa is better for smaller cars; 550/575 are stunning in more subdued colors like Blue (my favorite) or Silver, SIlvery Grays, Canna di Fucile, etc...)

Rgds

7. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Themaven, G. Pepper and F456M like this.
  8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The difference from Crema interiors and many of the other colors, is that you can actually see the interior of the car from a long distance... i think it gives more "life" to the car. Where does the term "Magnolia" come from? Usually this name is used in adverts for Jaguars and Rolls/Bentley. Maybe one English in this forum can explain this more in detail. Also the term "Parchment" which I have seen be used in different colors...? What does it mean? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Sorry for the late answer, George...we do indeed have 100 degree quite often in France in the summer, in the Southwest and Southeast; not everyday, however, but it is not uncommon. It is simply a kind of tradition: a red Ferrari has to have a black interior (usually black leather with black carpets; although you might also find black leather with red carpets), simple as that. For other body colors, Black leather is not a given. But the standard "Resale Red" works with Black leather here.
    As for my cars...my Red '89 328 GTB has Beige leather and Castoro carpets, which always had my preference over black. And my '89 GTS is black metallic with gray leather and black carpets.
    Rgds

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Another interesting difference in color acceptability; many persons would actually like this color combo in France, but...no-one would buy such a car. Green Ferraris are a true "no-go" in France, whereas they sell rather well in other countries, such as Germany. Should you buy one in France, the resale probability at market price is about zero. Either you would have to seriously discount it, or find a buyer from abroad...

Rgds

11. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Some people are superstitious.....and would NEVER buy a green car.........I never did understand why, must have something to do with ancient folk-lore ?
    Even so, it must be the least popular colour for any car here in the UK.....For re-sale alone, I would have thought it the kiss of death for a Ferrari. There again, when you only have yourself to please...go for it. Judgement day comes when you try to sell it.
    But, so what !....I didn't want a red one, no way, so that puts me in a minority for a start. Choice of colour is subjective, as always.

Jürgen Geisler likes this.
  12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm kind of a cliche, I guess. I just like what looks best to me, and for front V12's that's red and tan; for mid V8's it's yellow and tan (I never have been able to decide if an F50 should be red or yellow: both work). Silver and black is the one other combination I like, and I think any Ferrari looks fantastic that way. For my 308, the body and wheels are silver, the bumpers, tires, interior and accents are black. There's something about the purity of it.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I actually love that Verde Zeltweg/Crema combination. But my wife wouldn't let me but it, and that's probably sensible.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Maranello shape looks great in Verde. Sort of Jaguarish.

15. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Back in the 90’s i saw a Verdi Zeltwig car which had a mint green interior to match at my local dealer in Wilmslow,UK.
    Actually didn’t look bad but VZ with cuoio would be my choice.

16. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    There's nothing wrong with a green 550. My car (Verde Mugello) is on the right in this picture. The car on the left is Verde Zeltweg. A rare chance, a few years ago, to photograph the two together and see the difference between the two shades. Image Unavailable, Please Login

I don't see why a car should be certain colour just because of the badge. Surely it is should be about what the owner likes and what suits the car? I doubt I'd have much trouble selling my car if I wished to, not least because it is the only UK car in that colour. So just as I knew when I bought it that if I didn't do so then I wouldn't get another chance because there wouldn't be another one like it along any time soon, so the same would be true for any future purchaser.

Jonathan

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  17. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    They both look great to me!

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  19. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Your car in Verde Mugello is very beautiful Jonathan, and indeed very rare! I like it a lot and it seems it is somewhat lighter than Verde Zeltweg. Mine (see below) is Verde Zeltweg and when the sun doesn't shine it often looks as if it is black. But (in my opinion...) very beatiful when the sun shines.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Bert

theq likes this.
  20. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Thank you Bert. Yes Mugello is quite a lot lighter than Zeltweg and, like Zeltweg looks quite different when the sun shines. I have once or twice walked past a Zeltweg car on a dull day, thinking for a moment that it was black and it is remarkable how different it looks when the sun comes out.

Jonathan

21. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I guess I'm a little different; when it comes to buying 'previously owned' while I do have preferences for color, such is not my #1 criteria - I've always bought condition not color. I have a similar position with price; price without considering condition & service could be an expensive mistake. My recently purchased 550 (1998 with 21,xxx miles) is a good example - as for color I wanted silver or blue with tan or burgundy; I bought red. Some of you may know the car as it was "Moorfan's" (see Sorting Thread) As far as condition it would be hard to beat, virtually everything has been done/made correct. Additionally Pete made some improvements - Hill Engineering bearings, coil on plug ignition, numerous Scuderia Rampante upgraded parts... I may have paid a bit over market at the time - but the car is right and will need little in the near future. Perhaps I'm different as I plan on keeping the car, I did have my 308 QV for 28 years.
    Anyway just my 2 cents worth.

22. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I think in the future you will see that archaic F1 systems like those in the early 2002 F1s will be very desirable as they were the first F1 systems in a ferrari V12 and the improvements from early 575s to what we have today in the F12 are mind blowing. The F12 is so smooth it drives more like a Bentley than a Ferrari and I think those old school feelings will come at high premiums. So all the upgrades and stuff while nice today, I think all original early F1 systems will be interesting collector pieces when we look back in the future at how these dual clutch systems evolve more and more and how these single disc systems were.

23. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It appears neither car sold.

Jonathan

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dan- The later Ferraris are all DCT, not F1. The last F1 Ferrari was the 599 and derivatives. The newer Ferraris still have paddles, but not the F1 system with dry clutches and electro-hydraulics working on a manual transaxle. The later the F1 system, the better, and for the 575M, that is the HGTC system with upgraded TCU, F1 componentry, and matching Motronic ECUs. The Superamerica had the 612's F1A system.