New Owner 1982 Giallo - Questions, pictures and my adventures | FerrariChat

New Owner 1982 Giallo - Questions, pictures and my adventures

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by swong46, Nov 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Hi all, got my car not too long ago and super excited to learning how all this Ferrari stuff goes. Owned four Alfas of model years 1965-1974 and still have two of them; do mostly all my own work on them so looking to do the same here.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'd like to have this thread to post my adventures (ups and downs) on the car. In summary so far, this is what I know about the car:

1 - Bought new in Vegas
    2 - Went to my local F mechanic's neighbor and best friend
    3 - Given to their mutual friend in exchange for building all cabinets for #2's new kitchen, dreamed of winning 2004 Monterey Concours but unexpectedly past (sad story)
    4 - #3's wife sold to car to contractor who did window repairs on their house, local mechanic no longer wanted to work on the car due to the spirit of his friend

Here is where it all gets fuzzy.

5 - Have Carfax first page of car done by Valencia Auto Wholesale in San Francisco
    6 - Someone consigned the car to be sold at the 2010 Portland Silver Auctions

Now it makes sense again.

7 - On display at Papa's Toys Car Collection in Oregon until 2016
    8 - I saw the car for sale in 2016, almost bought it, hesitated and regretted; it went to PA. Spent the next 18 months looking for a coupe I wanted and this same one popped back up.
    9 - Well, now I have it. Out of all the places in the world it could go, I took it from PA back to the same city where #2, #3, #4, and local mechanic (still operating) live.

Trying to find out more from Silver Auctions still, but pretty neat story!

paulchua and Roward7 like this.
  2. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Posted this on the Pic of day thread, but will put here too. Removed the co-molded F430 key and epoxied in an old style key. Will make another one soon in yellow to match! If anyone wants one let me know. Making one for another member on here.

3. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Now for some questions.

Realized the oil was not changed since probably 2008-2010, so I just did that last night. Fired it up this morning and used a mechanic's stethoscope for the first time. Found a vacuum leak on the lower hose of the tee shown below in green (not my photo) which is tied to the left hose and runs back into the body. Didn't get a chance to poke around too much but where does it go and what would happen if I drive the car like this until I fix it?

Also heard a ticking and whirling, found that it comes from the alternator, seems fine for now. And lastly, a louder whirling from the two rear cam sprockets only. How scared should I be of this? This is all with the stethoscope and after I used some belt dressing on the accessory belts. I had a PPI done from Scuderia Performante in PA and they didn't report any strange sounds.

4. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    That looks like the vacuum hose to the brake booster in front. Check this out before driving. Sometimes it is the hose that is leaking where it is connected to the one way valve. See if the leak dissapears by tightening the hose clamps. Next is to change the short tube that is closer to rhe engine and therefore subjected to more heat, age faster.
    /Peter

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Don't know about cam sprockets, but alternator a common problem and thankfully easy fix. Get the alternator fixed, refurbished, or replaced...not too expensive. 2-300 bucks... Congratulations!!!

AUDIO RESEARCH likes this.
  6. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    It's defn. the lower hose of the "T" I can see the hose is cracked at the barb. Doesn't seem like there is enough slack to cut and reconnect.

7. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi ,

Congratulations on your new acquisition. When was the timing belt , belt tensioner , drive belts replaced . Most probably the car did not get regular use . Since the car had its last oil change in 2010 , if it were my car changing the timing belt , bearing Tensioner & drive belts will be on top of my list . Then replace the coolant as well , check the brakes and flush the old brake fluid and check the condition/ age of the tires . Then the cosmetics will be the last thing I’d do .
    I like the color of your car as well .

Best regard,

Luigi

paulchua likes this.
  8. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks Paul and Luigi. I've replaced the wheels/tires for now; $2000 for TRX nah...

Scuderia Performante replaced the tensioners and belts this past April. I've already planned out myself to do all the other fluids and coolant lines very soon.

AUDIO RESEARCH and paulchua like this.
  9. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    My alternator failed. It's fairly easy to remove and replace. In my QV, it was a BOSCH unit. Nothing exotic, and nothing that you can't find in other cars of the same era.

I had a local generator/alternator repair shop rebuild it for $115. It took 3 days, and when I got it back, they had also cosmetically refurbished it -- it look brand new (probably better than new).

Sid

paulchua likes this.
  10. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Im glad the belts/ tensioner were done already . Before I forget check the condition of the fuel hoses as well ( specially the big hose that connects the 2 fuel tanks ) .

paulchua likes this.
  11. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    Congratulations! I'm in the process of restoring an 82 that came from TX to PA. A lot of these pieces get around. Cool that your's ended up back "home".

paulchua likes this.
  12. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    You could put a slightly longer vacuum hose on the engine side and get some slack to be able to cut the hose on the brake booster side.
    /Peter

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Congrats Pero! You will find more vacuum leaks and old rubber after such time when it came new from the factory :) Have a lot of driving pleasure and be safe! Like Paul already mentioned check your fuel lines and definitely replace all the rubber between your tanks!

Brooklands likes this.
  14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Congratulations. I really do like yellow mid-engine V8 Ferraris.

paulchua likes this.
  15. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Congrats on the Mondial buy. There are a couple of us newer coupe owners here, finding things, fixing things, trying to restore these very cool cars to their original glory. Also past owner of 3 Alfas, 2 GTV6s, and still own S4 Spider.

On the key, what did the old original ones look like? I also got a plastic one for the ignition, the door one is original and pretty worn.

paulchua likes this.
  16. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks all! Just went for a short drive, not too powerful but real smoooth.

These are my original keys, probably the same as yours.

WilyB, 2cam, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  17. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    That's a very nice picture BTW !

18. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Congratulations ....soon you will get the fever : mondialitis its called. :D Even in your dreams you will be working on the car.
    Is that an originale Giallo ? Very rare a yellow mondial. I like that color.
    Guido

Mechanical Dad and paulchua like this.
  19. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    I might be wrong but from my research they never did Mondials in yellow. Mine was yellow when I bought it but eventually it needed work and I've returned it to the original blue azzurro. But looking at these pics, perhaps I should have left it yellow :)

20. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    I hadn't seen one prior to this either. However, the auction for the car had a picture of the car's ID tag which was clearly stamped, "Giallo". Nice!

Oh, and that is a great picture of the keys, gloves, and hood emblem! :)

2cam

21. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Mine said yellow on the UK V5 registration document but when I checked back to the original import documents held by Maranello it said Azzurro. Plus behind the door cards it was definitely blue. :)

22. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Congrats on the purchase! Another 8 in the mix !

23. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    DenisB and Jeka like this.
  24. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Its great to see a new Ferrari owner learning about his car by doing the work himself! Congrats!