Am I crazy to sell my 308 QV? | FerrariChat

Am I crazy to sell my 308 QV?

Discussion in '308/328' started by JazzyJay, Nov 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    So.....I am thinking of selling my 308 QV and replacing it with a 355 or 360. I've been told I'm nuts. My 1984 308 QV has been super-reliable, and has been regularly serviced by John at IFS. It is going in for the timing belt service this winter. My question is: Should I essentially "swap" it for a 355 or 360?

I haven't kept close track of the market, but it seems the value of (well maintained) 308s is on the rise. I really enjoy the car, but figure maybe it is time to try something different. I love the look of the 355 Spiders, but I hear the 360s are easier to maintain. I'm a bit spoiled with my 308, so I don't want to sell it and get something that is newer but a pain in butt.

Ideas?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Compared to your QV, the 355 spider is a super model but an absolute pain in the butt. Don't get a spider, buy a Berlinetta and ignore the F1. Comes down to you:

Do you want Christie Brinkley, she is more mellow with fine looks. Or do you want her younger daughters that are newer but will be an absolute pain in the butt?

I have two F355 so take it for what it is.

3. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The prugna looks great!

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Depends on what is right for you.

My opinion, if you want to change Ferraris, think 360 manual first. Reliable and (much)less costly to maintain than a 355.

Avoid the F1 transmission in either choice. They were way in their infancy back then and are nothing like the ones now.

thorn likes this.
  5. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    I don't think 308s are on the rise- on the contrary they seem to have fallen off a bit and leveled out. Manual 355s and 360s are on the rise so I doubt you'll be able to trade at parity. Plan on spending an extra $30K+ on the car and a metric crap ton more on maintenance and repairs yearly. If the finances don't matter then go for it, 355s sound incredible.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Best thing about the 360 is no longer worrying about rust.

IMO: skip the F1 and stay with the manual if you get one.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm completely in agreement with Dr. T.

The 355 is my favorite post-3x8 model (well, unless you consider the $$$458). Perfect lines, still a smaller chassis, screaming lovely sound. But for cost-of-ownership, I'd lean to the 360. If the maintenance costs were NOT a concern, I'd trade my 308 for a 355 GTB/GTS without a second thought. (Spyders. Gah. No thanks.)

And yeah, I'd avoid the F1 in either.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    What, everybody agrees with avoiding the F1? Where is Watson?

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, I own an 85 308 GTB QV and a 95 F355 spider. Both are great cars. My 355 spider has been very reliable for the 5 seasons I have owned it. Only a minor problem with ignition due to a broken wire. But it came with a fresh and extensive major service. The 360 is more refined and a better car overall, but they do have their problems too. Either car, well sorted, should be pretty reliable but significantly more costly to maintain that a 308. I don't think the money for a 308 GTS QV will cover either car though. A nice 355 spider is going to be $60k plus, maybe $70k plus with a fresh major. A 360 spider more. Unlike the 355, 360 spiders generally draw a premium over the couple. The 355 is the flip. Also, a gated 360 will draw a significant premium over the F1 version. That is similar to the 355. Figure around $100k and up for a gated 360 spider, around $80k for an F1. I definitely prefer either car as a spider. Nothing like top down in New England in summer.

10. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    After a couple years enjoying my 85 QV, I added a 2004 gated 360 Spider to the stable in February.
    They are just very different cars.
    Frankly, I like the lines of the 308 better, and I love the nostalgia of the 308; a "classic" Ferrari. It's low and agile. A go-kart.
    The 360 is a lot more power, plus it has air bags, climate control, a fancy stereo, and the all-automatic top mechanism. It's roomier (I'm 6'1"). I'd consider it safer and more reliable for a long trip.

There's lots more detail I could get into, but it would be...detail.

Money aside, I'm not sure which I would keep if I were to choose one. It's really and apples/oranges question! And in ten years the 308 might just be worth more than the 360. Only time will tell.

By the way, the 360 seems to turn lots more heads if that's anything you care about.

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’ve only had my QV for a year so I’m probably not qualified to answer this question but speaking strictly for myself I think the only trades (or upgrades) I would do would be for either a TR or a 246 which maybe sounds weird because they are in opposite directions from the 308 but the bottom line is I have a 308 because that’s what was within my budget. Outside of the budget I’d want a Boxer or a 288 GTO or a.....

I just wouldn’t be looking for something more modern with airbags and ABS and push button switches.

DMWC likes this.
  12. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Thanks for all the info. I’m still contemplating yelcab’s reply: can I have Christy Brinkley and a 360? I assume either a 355 or 360 will cost a bit more to purchase or maintain than the 308, which is fine. I’m just trying to avoid getting out of something enjoyable and into something that’s a headache.....and yes, I know both are different animals from the 308, which is the goal. My brother-in-law has a 512 TR, which is very cool, but not my style. I want something that I can take on long trip, or take the wife out to dinner, and not have to worry about making it home.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I mentioned I was ready to maybe trade, to my son...I got the "NO WAY! Its iconic! Its the Art Car (LOLOL!).. and then pointed out the opposite trends in the depreciation curves..!!!

He's smart. He's an engineer.
    :D :D :D

14. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Don't do it.

I did close to a parallel swap. I went from my Daytona to a 550 Maranello. It was a different world and I always regretted it, not because of what happened to the prices. The driving experience was way too sterile compared to the Daytona.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Grab the latest Cavallino Market Guide...my 1977 is now "$80K to $160K"
    (They lump together too many years, I have always felt that lacks nuance and detail).

But the arrows across the 308 series all now point "UP"...

16. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Get a manual 355 Berlinetta and install a Tubi.

You're welcome! :)

17. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    What would you expect for $ for an ‘84 QV? Exterior very good (but not perfect) for original paint, interior dash/dials/windows floor great, but seats show wear, lots of maintenance records, everything up-to-date. Prugna over tan. (Auto-correct kept trying to spell “pregame” instead of prugna.....took a few tries!).

18. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Cavallino guides were always behind the curve. Prices are falling since mid-2015.

19. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Prices seem to be falling, as I have a 308 QV that I'm considering selling as well. Personally, I'd consider selling it (I'm biased) - I love my 308, but because there aren't creature comforts, it's hard in the heat of the summer or the cold winter (salt). In the near 5 years I've had the car, I've put (maybe) 1,500 miles on it? When it's 90 degrees out, it's a tough call because I want to drive it, but it's like going to the gym.

I'm waiting to see what Chevy does with the Corvette - if it's mid-engine and around $65K, I'm jumping in. Was considering selling the 308 and getting an Alfa 4C, but couldn't pull the trigger.

Ideally, I'd sell the 308 and get a 360 or 430 - agree with posters above, get a manual / coupe. I waited too long and as noted, I can't make the trade on parity. Time will tell.

Good luck no matter what you decide to do!

20. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    having done what you propose, my sentiment is wholeheartedly yes, make the switch. i purchased a 355 spider while still in possession of a 308 QV. the QV was my "go to" ferrari for years, but the 355 completely took over that slot. it was a combo of more usability in different weather conditions, more power, more handling, more modern in the ergonomics/details/drivability while still retaining great sounds and looks.

do not fear the maintenance difference. if the cars are already sorted, you will not have a major difference in costs. both that QV and that 355 were "bad" cars that needed tremendous work. once done, however, they were both solid and cost about the same every year for basic maintenance.

also, do not overlook the 355 F1. last year, i purchased a 355B F1. the throttle position sensor was adjusted so that the shifts on the car are comparable to a 360 or a 575 -- perhaps a bit faster, too. and, really, a 1st gen F1 box takes as much finesse and skill to work smoothly as any manual transmission, because, in effect, it is a manual transmission, only with a different mode to shifting. with an early F1 box, you have to gauge how much to get off the throttle during upshifts, blip the throttle accordingly on the downshifts, all in a coordinated effort with the actual shift. just like a stick manual!

21. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Great comments, thanks. I am leaning toward an F1 in either a 360 or 355. I agree on cars being well sorted out.....once known issues are corrected the card seem to be fine.

22. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Go drive the 360. I drove a few, then I went straight out and I bought another 308. The only change was to an older carb one. You might feel different, but you have to go try some first.

23. Fem

Fem Rookie

Nov 23, 2017
    belgium
    Is this the car that few years ago was for sale with 11000 miles from bonhan auction

Sent from my ALE-L21 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Fem

Fem Rookie

Nov 23, 2017
    belgium
    Hey people i ame new here to look and maybe learn more to buy a entrylevel 308 gts,

Sent from my ALE-L21 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Fem: No, this car has never been for auction. It has about 50k miles.

As for an “entry level” 308 GTS, there are plenty of good, detailed posts here in the 308/328 specific forums. But here’s my summary. There are basically three types of used Ferrari’s: 1). Low-mileage, under-driven concourse queens that are kept by their owners more as investments to preserve resale value, 2.) well maintained, good quality cars that are enjoyed by their owners, and 3.) “Bargain” priced cars that are cheap because their service history is lacking, making the cost to get them sorted out a mystery.

My car is a 2, and I’m hoping to buy another 2. I wouldn’t pay the extra for a 1 because it would shortly become a 2. Stay away from a 3 unless you’re a good mechanic with time and money, and you enjoy a good challenge.

JV's89 likes this.