New Aston Martin Vantage being revealed in three weeks | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Aston Martin Vantage being revealed in three weeks

Discussion in 'British' started by Robb, Oct 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    After watching the shmee video - its gorgeous.

has a little bit of tesla look to it though, imo

02360spider likes this.
  2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I haven’t finished the shmee video yet but I like a lot of aspects of the car.

The rear is fantastic.

Exhaust tips look a bit on the small side. The laser cut hikes in the rear occupy a little too much area. I like the side vents. Engine and airflow area look good.

Interior is ok. Not a fan of the tacked in center screen.

Front grill will hopefully evolve over time. It is a very dramatic love it or hate it angle. Not as strong as the Vulcan because it is not as long a front end.

I think like all designs, once you get usd to it over time, th newer look will settle in.

Highlighter neon yellow is a no go...

Robb

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  4. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Side view is very good, the rear is good but would be better w/o a four foot wide (essentially) tail light across the entire car, but that front air dam is hideous. It looks like some crap a few teenagers got from a JC Whitney catalog & riveted into that gaping maw. And why "super size" something so ugly as that? Interior is way too busy for me ... it wasn't broken, so why bugger it up w/ overstyling?
    Call me tepid so far. :confused:

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  6. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    Starts at $150k, 500 bhp, hitting 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. Would gladly take this over a VW 911 any day

Michael Call and 02360spider like this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I think it looks a lot more like the DB10 than Tesla. The only similarity I'd say say is 'clean' lines...I'm glad they didn't carry that ugly floating roof design from the DB11. The spec in Shmee's video is stunning.

This is a way better looking alternative to the 911, which has always been more about performance than looks.

ross likes this.
  8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  9. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  10. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
  11. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    That interior (and especially the dash) look horrendous. Maybe it's the overuse of tan leather/plastic on every part, but it looks like something GM would design for a mid-level Camaro.

12. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    A good friend of mine thinking about Mako Blue. Reminds him 918's 'liquid silver'.

ryalex likes this.
  13. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Robb likes this.
  14. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    Nice Miata.

rampante550 likes this.
  15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agree...I’ve owned 3 Aston’s in the past and felt at the time their beauty was unsurpassed - V8V, DBS, V12VS. The design was timeless with sleek curves.
    The new designs, this and the DB11 are succumbing to the angular “transformer” looks of this tech era, very unfortunate.
    Front looks Tesla/Mazda. Rear looks Jag. It will not go down in history as a timeless design. DB11 Volante looks a hair better.
    Wish I kept my DBS but it was underpowered.

Sent from my 16M

anunakki and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Robb likes this.
  17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Would anybody prefer a mc 570to this?

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
  19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Seeing that pic makes me think an aftermarket company may come along and offer that. That looks good! Even more DB10-like. :)

Robb likes this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You all have it wrong. Thats the new toyota supra with some aston badges, gotta be, there can be no other explanation..
    I'll agree with flash on the interior.

Prior new astons had class, the recent vantage is probably the most beautiful car of the past few decades, there is not a bad exterior line on it anywhere and it had an elegance and class. What they lacked was great runing gear ride handling etc and the vantage sort of had a cheapo inetrior..

Maybe the new one will drive great, as does the DB11.

The side profile of the new vantage is good, not great(flame surfacing) but good, the rear is innovative in a volvo toyota sort of way, but maybe a bit better than good. The front seriously maita meets supra. Changing the grill wont fix this, and frankly the new front end not only is unapealing but smacks of cost cutting cheapness, hardley the face of a great car.

Talk about dropping the ball.

plastique999 likes this.
  21. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The AM CEO has stated that they are very close to "selling out" their first year of production.

So the question is:

It seems this is just trying to over hype the car... Or production is not that many cars...
    Don't the dealerships put in their orders for cars to go on their floor? It's not like 4,000 stormed the gates to place an order reveal day...

And I'd like them to do well and sell lots of cars, but that statement of "selling out" doesn't pass the smell test with all other considerations without an asterisk somewhere.

Right?

Robb

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

False scarcity and hype seem to be selling tactics for exotics.
    I dont see anybody knocking the doors down for this knocked down aston.
    It starts at what 160k, they would have been better off starting at 180K and offering somehtign really compelling.
    I am sure the Amg motor is great. The old formula when you offer an off the shelf motor in an exotic is to cloth it in something exceptional.
    The DB11 is fine, and mark Reichman has design talent in spades.
    Frankly one must question the management talent at aston to approve this.

23. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Maybe there was fear of being criticised for making the same car in different sizes again.

Thé DB11 seems almost universally admired, but this has a slight luke warm response across the board.

I would have been happy with a miniature DB11 look.

The basic profile of the new car is great, and that’s the main thing, but the front makes me think of old Mazda MX3, Soarer, MX5, and I’m not a fan of the rear spolier, but then I preferred the original DB9 and Virage boot lid to the DBS and later DB9 rear spolier. It also has a distinct look of F-Type from some angles, which it shouldn’t.

The interior centre console is way to busy, and not a patch on the elegance of the old early Vantage / DB9.

There is a good design in there, but I think it needs work. The DB11 though is great and seems to be a hit with people generally.

boxerman likes this.
  24. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Pass. Does absolutely nothing for me at all.

Wait until next year and get one at 30% off.

25. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Looks are polarizing. I actually like the "shovel-mouthed" look but its not for everyone as this thread makes clear.

On purchase economics, a friend bought a new DB9. Had an AM manufacturer incentive of $60k and some dealer concessions. I can only imagine an existing owner's response when he thought about trading in his 1-2 y/o toy after Aston had skewered the market price like this. Maybe they figure the guy who can afford a $250k toy doesn't care. But that same guy goes to his golf club, tells his buddies and they avoid the brand for wanting to feel like fools. Aston is not alone in this, but has arguably been one of the more egregious.

I also wonder about service costs. I looked at a v12v. Looks seductive etc. 15,000 mile service cost? $6,500. "We change the belts". "The cam belts?". " No, the auxiliary belts". I walked. Again, maybe Aston feels it's "pay to play" and "our customers can afford it". I would have felt like a fool.

Just my 2c. We all make our own choices. I am also sure I am not alone.