2012 california audio upgrade | FerrariChat

2012 california audio upgrade

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Marc L, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marc L

Marc L Rookie

Oct 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marc Leventhal
    Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I own a car audio shop in NY, and I am going to be working on a California in the next few weeks upgrading the speakers system while keeping the Chrysler (factory) radio. I have been reading through as many threads as I can to find the answers I am looking for, so I apologize if my questions are redundant. Specifically what I am looking for is, if you are familiar with integrating amplifiers into a car with the factory radio, some kind of converter is needed for the amplifiers, either a standard line output converter or a sound processor. I am pretty sure the factory system is the base model with no external amp. If that is the case, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a good signal for the new amplifiers? Or, if there is a factory amp, where would I find it? I usually have a few tech sites I can go to for wiring schematics, but none of them have info on the California in terms of wire colors. I have installed radios in other Ferraris and the wiring harness was a standard European harness. I wonder if it is the same for the California? I have seen that changing the radios in this car is possible, so I would assume there is a vehicle specific harness, but I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
  3. Marc L

Marc L Rookie

Oct 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marc Leventhal
    That sure does, that's great. Thank you, I greatly appreciate it.

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So I just joined the Cali club. This head unit really is outdated. I'm going through Pandora and Waze withdrawal. Is this thing just a standard 2 din with typical old 4 ohm speakers over copper, or something obnoxious like a MOST CANBUS? I just have no idea. Will a generic 2 din unit just swap right out?

5. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The guy that recently put in my Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX is out of town but when he gets back next week he is going to give me the play by play on the install, parts and all. It was not a straightforward swap out but he eventually talked to the right people and got the parts we needed. It works and looks great. I'll post everything next week.

6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Cool, thanks! Can't wait to hear. I will end up going with a droid head unit when I do mine.

7. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Jackpot guys - Go to this site - it seems to have all adapters needed for aftermarket integration to California's steering/aftermarket stereo or original stereo.
    If it was me, I would take the model number and find the best deal on the web even though these prices are nominal.

https://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=8766

8. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Also here is the Steering wheel control and aftermarket stereo mounting kit - you still can use the Ferrari bezel - the plastic pieces secure aftermarket radio 2din.

I have the same stereo in my daughters JEEP Unlimited. even the steering wheel controls are the same as my 10 Cali. Hell while playing mp3, backdrop image is the same.

https://www.amazon.com/CHRYSLER-AFTEMARKET-MOUNTING-INTERFACE-INSTALLATION/dp/B01N9483DK/ref=sr_1_cc_4?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1509331967&vehicle=2010-78-6840-20--8-6-7-7974--1-1-3141--1-0&sr=1-4-catcorr&ymm=2010:ferrari:california&keywords=steering+harness

9. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    I posted this over in the California section, but when my Sirius radio was not working, as part of the investigation, I found there is a Ferrari-certified/approved replacement radio with all the updated goodies. It is a Clarion NX605. The radio is a bit out of date and A LOT more money than a "normal" NX605, if you could find one on Amazon. But it has all the proper Ferrari magic built in.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My Cali 30 doesn't seem to have any steering wheel controls. I have a horn and a mannetino. That's it. Were there options for steering wheel audio controls? Is the aftermarket mounting kit unusual or custom in any way, or would a typical stereo shop have the right stuff on hand?

Is there any harness or anything else necessary to adapt a generic 2din aftermarket head unit? It's standard 2din, right? I want to get this thing replaced ASAP. My son and I are listening to Pandora and Youtube on my cell phone when we're in the Cali.

Thanks...

What is the proper Ferrari magic exactly?

Thanks...

11. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    well, good question. I don't know exactly. The dealer mechanic said that the car's electronics passed through the radio, which was why most after market radios didn't work, but this radio had all the right connections.

The mechanic also said the start up splash screen said Ferrari. Perhaps that font is the magic.

K

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I guess the audio controls are behind the horn buttons? I'll have to look..er...feel. Am I the only one that can never friggin hit the horn when I need it? 7 years and five Ferrari's and I still hit the center of the steering wheel every single time I need the horn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    Hi Again. Sort of a status report on replacing the factory radio with a "Ferrari" branded Clarion NX605.

First the bad:
    -- The radio does not come with a Sirius tuner built in. That is a separate purchase and install. It would have been nice had the dealer told me this.
    -- The moving map forces me to go through the setup wizard every time I turn on the car. This might be an installation error.
    -- Because the wiring is large, and the new radio doesn't have all the same wiring routing, it is difficult to get the wiring hidden correctly. In my case, the cup holder does not open easily any more. (Yes. I know. Who need a cup holder in an F-car?)
    -- Clarion support is non-existent. AFAICT, there is no way to ask a technical question to Clarion. It seems they refer all such queries back to the place you bought the radio. Bad. Very bad.
    -- Clarion's web site sucks. Two examples beyond the no interaction above: When I registered the radio online, there is NO option to select the NX605. They have manuals and descriptions of the NX605, but the product drop down for registration does not offer the NX605. The second example is trying to figure out how to update the mapping software. It is far from clear, but it turns out you have to download some app, and then run the app against the radio. It asks to connect to "The Device." Do I have to take a portable computer out to the car and connect to the USB port? The not obvious part is that the mapping micro-USB card
    is what it is looking for. T
    he mapping micro-USB? Yes. There are two micro-USB slots. One is open, you can see it and play music through it, and the other is hidden behind a small bezel plate under the open micro-USB.

The good:
    -- It is modern in every sense, UI, features, etc.
    -- It is very straight forward to update the radio software, and to update the mapping components, once you figure out what the silly web site is telling you to do.
    -- The Pandora integration with the Pandora app on your phone is Fab-U-Lous! It works just the way you'd want. If Pandora is up on the phone, the car will connect and play everything there, with all the Pandora controls on the screen. When calls come in, Pandora gets quiet. When you are on the mapping screens, there is a small Pandora section at the bottom with song info, and thumbs up/down buttons. Perhaps, with Pandora, who cares about having a Sirius tuner in the radio? (Especially when Pandora is $5/month, and Sirius is $20/month)
    -- The mapping product is far superior to the factory radio mapping capability.
    -- It has pretty colors for the backlighting.

K

14. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    When you installed the new stereo did you change the speaker as well? I know the steep that came factory is very similar to the stereo in my 2012 Ram. While I generally don't listen to anything the radio in my ram is adequate for my needs. The 2016 Cali t we usually rent I have never used the stereo and wander if a simple speaker change on the 14 don calis help the stereo be bearable or not.

15. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    I didn't change any speakers. I would say the radio sound is pretty minimal quality. My AMG sound was MUCH better in several identifiable ways. That said, the California is pretty loud. I don't know that great speakers would overcome the ambient noise... :)

K

16. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Thanks for the info. It probably will be a minimal issue for me, mostly listen to podcast instead of music anyway if I listen to anything. I know ferraris are notorious for having not so great stereos from the factory. I'm unsure what the actual difference is in the units between the Chrysler products and the Ferrari units but the one in my truck works fine for what I do. The wife has a similar model in her mini van. To me it will at least be familiar.

17. jcarb123

jcarb123 Rookie

Sep 29, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    John Carbonaro
    here is the upgrades that worked for my build. 2012 cali. put in focal speakers in doors and looking for rears. want to replace the jbl amp in the trunk...bad. here are some pics of my carbon fiber upgrades as well. used macarbon.... did a kickass job!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2574880 View attachment 2574881 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2574890 View attachment 2574891 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

agustinush777 likes this.
  18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^I don't know much about audio electronics, nor do I use my radio much, but I can say that is one sharp interior! Very nice. Crema w/ burgundy accents?
    T

jcarb123 likes this.
  19. mikeprice

mikeprice Rookie

Jun 19, 2010
    Hi,

Just picked up my 2011 California with only 16k on the clock and has the clarion 504e fitted, the head unit but think the speakers are trash can you say what size the door speakers are please

20. thedunk

thedunk Rookie

May 6, 2015
    Claremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Miller

Is the NX605 for Ferrari's different from the normals NX605's? If it is different isn't the model number different somehow? How would I recognize a Ferrari unit (other than by the extremely high price)?