Common/Repeated Problems on 599? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Common/Repeated Problems on 599?

Discussion in '612/599' started by 599ing, Sep 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    Today received an info about instrument cluster from Autotronics in UK. The main board fault. Repair costs 1300 GPB. Sometimes I don’t understand this car. No such a problem with my Porsches for many times.

Wysłane z iPad za pomocą FerrariChat

2. jfm_cdm

jfm_cdm Rookie

May 18, 2013
    Corona del Mar, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mine is a 2007. I purchased it in 2013 and am the second owner. Car has about 19K miles on it. Nothing much until this year and it's been an expensive one:
    Replace L/R wheel bearing and tie rods
    Leaking valve covers, so new valve cover gaskets.
    Have had radiator hoses go on it twice. So now in shop replacing all the hoses. I guess after 10 years, the rubber goes. Should have replaced all of them when the first one went.
    Also in the last year, my rubber buttons have started going sticky. Need to deal with those at some point.

Jim

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Regarding the TFT display of Ferrari 599 and other models losing clarity due to electronic failure, this problem can happen but there is a source in Costa Mesa CA who can refurbish it for less than $2k; much less than cost of full replacement for $12k out of warranty.

BTW, this same TFT problem has occurred on Porsches too, at least on those models that feature them. The TFT display (motherboard) on my '06 Cayenne Turbo S has been refurbished.

Caphill likes this.
  4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    You guys are scaring the hell out of me.
    The next car on my list was a 599 or 430 Scud.
    One would assume for 300K+ in its day Ferrari would have had all the bugs figured out especially in the later models.
    My Porsche GT2 has been almost idiot proof.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    David,

This TFT display problem does not occur on every 599 as far as I’ve heard. It’s a problem that may crop up with early (mid 2000’s) TFT displays featured even in Porsche’s; like I said my ‘06 Cayenne Turbo S suffered from it and according to my Porsche Service advisor, other higher end models including 911 Turbos and Panameras have similar TFT issues.

All I’m saying in my earlier post is that if it does occur on an out-of-warranty car, a less expensive (90% less) aftermarket fix is available.

BTW, even now I’ve got a 599, I still like a Scuderia. As a former aerospace Design Engineer and artist, I believe the Scud is the most beautiful modern Ferrari sports
    car design. A friend owned an all white and black and it was simply marvelous back in ‘08. He eventually sold it and it went to Floyd Mayweather.

The 599 is the most classically beautiful and voluptuous modern Ferrari GT by Carosseria Pininfarina. I’m not too enamored with the recent Ferraris designed under Flavio Manzoni’s lead. The new Portofino’s front looks too much like a Camaro’s!

Nero599, Texas Forever and Mor like this.
  6. Kevin Borley

Kevin Borley Rookie

Oct 19, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin Borley
    Hi

Try a company called Cluster Repairs UK Ltd (http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/contact) They repair Ferrari display but I also spoke to them recently as I had an alarm sensor failure in the interior roof module and they were willing to look at that as well and estimated a cost of ~£150 to repair. Ferrari wanted £900!! for a new part.

SonomaRik, Texas Forever and virendra like this.
  7. Edgemontvillage

Nov 19, 2008
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lloyd
    I've read references to "a source in Costa Mesa CA" who can repair the TFT display however what is the name of the shop? Also - does anyone have instructions on how to correctly remove the instrument cluster? Thanks.

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #59 greyboxer, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    SonomaRik and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Terry is spot on! FAI in Costa Mesa is well known for repairing screwed up Ferrari TFT instrument clusters.

A couple of years ago, I spoke to the owner; nice man who loves to fly his T-38 Texan aircraft trainer. He either needs the car to be brought to his shop or if from out of town, have the cluster removed and delivered to FAI.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rod repaired my Superamerica cluster and is very nice and professional. His aircraft is a T-28 Trojan, the T-38 Talon is a jet trainer, and the original Texan was a WW-II trainer (AT-6), and the Texan II is the current T-6A turboprop used by the USAF.

12. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Thanks again for the clarifications on trainer model designations, Terry. Somehow I was fixated on the "T-38" as Rod's fave aircraft probably because my engineering team prepared a comprehensive refurbishment proposal to the USAF a few months before I retired over two years ago. Even Rod had to correct me when we last spoke and you're correct; Rod's an 'old school gentleman'.

13. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    Thanks Kevin.
    Very useful info.
    I may have to call them. My 599 TFT display just started to blink this morning..

For the records, 2009 and 40k km.

14. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I am surprised nobody has mentioned leaking shocks that has no fix.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  16. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Leaky magnetorheological shocks are actually sourced from Delphi since GM who owns the patent for this innovative design which was first used on Cadillac models in the early 2000’s.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Can be replaced but it is just a matter of time it will eventually leak. :(

18. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    There can be no leakge but internal damage of shocks. Today one of mine shocks is out without any drop of oil.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

19. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Dumb question, can you drive the car while the cluster is being repaired, if the leads are protected from shorting??!!!

20. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    Nope.
    You can't. Essencial piece. She will not start.

21. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Thought so!! SQOD

22. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Not a dumb question at all. On a lot of cars the gauge cluster performs immobiliser functions, so the car wouldn’t start. On these cars, the immobiliser is in the body ecu, so my guess is that would word. Be interesting to try. Worst thing that can happen is the car doesn’t start.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    Not a dump question at all, I agree.
    I made it to myself too when I sent the cluster to UK ;)

24. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Good question, now I know!