Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Like I said I used each stop for restroom and meals. Surfing the internet and work can be done as well. No time lost. Tesla's aren't just cheaper to refuel, there is no maintenance required. No oil changes, no tuneups, no filters, no brake pads, etc. So LOTS of savings while driving a Tesla.

2. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I'm not refusing to understand anything. Never did I claim everyone must agree with me. I just am stating that EV's are the future and this is the beginning of the end for ICE.

3. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Mods, can this thread be moved to the General Automotive Discussion subforum where it belongs, rather than The Ferrari Discussion subforum?

carguyjohn350 and bberg009 like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    As usual you can only be arrogant in your replies. Enjoy your Tesla's, hope you sell your stock before it really drops.

bberg009 likes this.
  5. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Hmmm. Market cap is calculated by taking the price that the last "fool" paid and multiply by authorized outstanding shares, including those shorted and those not being traded.

So, it is a sum of money that nobody paid, and if every shareholder sells, it is a sum that cannot be realized. For example, if I paid $3150 for a single Tessa share tomorrow, the market cap would, at that time, be 10 times more than that it was 5 seconds ago...

So, a rather silly number to base an argument on....

Bas likes this.
  6. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Perhaps time to add some facts and figures to this "revolution".,,

According to the electric car advocacy group, EV.volumes, even if their very optimistic sales forecast of almost 50% sales growth for 2016-2017 (including all hybrids such as LaFerrari :) came true, we might have 1 out of 100 cars sold world-wide in the EV category this year. And of this, they estimate that 36 % will be plug-in hybrids (actually having an ICE also).

Maybe I am wrong, but 1% market share, after selling hybrids and electric cars for over 20+ years,I would not qualify that as a "revolution". (PS , Toyota Prius was introduced in 1997)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas and anunakki like this.
  7. RossoNero

RossoNero Karting

Sep 7, 2012
    JHB, South Africa
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I’m an equity analyst by profession, working at a medium-sized fund manager.

The beauty of markets is that they’re driven by a perception of value, and these perceptions vary, change and sometimes oppose each other.

Tesla is an interesting one. I don’t think you can compare their valuation with that of Amazon, as the one is a highly cash generative company (AMZN) and the other burns cash at a frightening pace (TSLA).

The value of an asset will always be the present value of its future cash flows, and herein lies the key.

In my humble opinion, the assumptions one has to make around volumes produced and sold to justify Tesla’s current valuation seem unrealistic - given what they’re able to achieve now.

In stark contrast with this, one can quite easily justify a value of $1200 for AMZN without making ludicrous assumptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carguyjohn350, Lotaz, Bas and 3 others like this.
  8. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    There’s no way in hell I want to spend 30 minutes refilling. No chance. Like never. Under five, at most.

And they’re not free. They’re just paid for by other people. Stop throwing out that BS. It’s great for the owner. But it’s not free.

When power is out how do you refill?
    After a storm how do you refill?

carguyjohn350, Bas, bberg009 and 2 others like this.
  9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    As to free for life for the owner charging... how do you see that play out long term? Everyone’s taxes go up to support that? Everyone’s electric bill for their Home goes up? Who pays for it when everyone goes electric car? It just magically appears? Give me specifics of the future and how charging stations are paid for. For the road trip, how many people sit around for 30 minutes while charging? Of the cars going up and down i95 and refilling at gas stations, where do they charge and how many can do it at a time?

carguyjohn350, anunakki and Jana like this.
  10. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    In fact it's a very important number because it shows the current value of the company as a whole. Of course it fluctuates, they all do. Not sure what your point about that is. My reason for bringing it up was to show that the collective market thinks Tesla is worth more than GM. (at least it was, they fluctuate). None of the other companies you mentioned created value as a stand-alone company the way Tesla has.

11. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Why do you think Volvo has stated they will not add any new ICE cars after 2019? They will only be introducing EV's. Every major automaker has released plans to have a full lineup of EV's within the next 5 years. That is pretty revolutionary IMHO.

12. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA

13. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You plan your meal breaks around the charging station. Really very convenient.

It is 100% free for me as the customer so you are incorrect. I paid $0 for my journey. Tesla paid for it.

I was driving through Barstow at the start of said journey and a wind storm knocked out all the power in town. So I had to wait for it to be restored. I looked across the street and the gas station was down as well. Pumps don't work without electricity. Not sure what your point is.

14. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I didn't receive any electricity paid for by tax dollars. Tesla paid for my electricity.

Yes my electricity went up when I bought an EV. Duh. But I'm saving $4k/year due to EV cheaper than gas and no maintenance in an EV.

95% of my charging is done in my home at night. There is PLENTY of electricity available at night because everyone is sleeping.

You plan your meal and bathroom during a road trip when you need to recharge. Tesla's stations are always placed near restaurants.

There are plenty of Tesla Supercharger stations all over the world, even i95. Each station usually has 8-12 stalls. Go to their website and look at the map.

15. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA

16. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    As the OP I chose this subforum because I was sharing my story of transferring specifically from Ferrari to Tesla.

17. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    You sure about that, sure seems like nothing but a Tesla thread. I have nothing against Tesla, but this thread is in the wrong subforum, what is wrong with moving where it belongs?

Jana, Bas, bberg009 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    That didn’t answer any of the questions. Just defected.

Even just to start: explain how Tesla paid for your electric recharge. Please detail the money chain.

Then, if you’d please, answer the other questions.

Jana, Bas and anunakki like this.
  19. RossoNero

RossoNero Karting

Sep 7, 2012
    JHB, South Africa
    Full Name:
    Henry
    One thing is for sure - the market is telling you that you’re right, and I am wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JERRYZ likes this.
  20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    there is no way this guy is for real.

He must be trolling just to get reactions as i cant believe anyone can be this blind to thier own biases.

it has become amusing to watch the unabashed cheerleading and attempts at deflection

21. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Reading this thread was entertaining at first, but it's now given me a headache the size of Elon Musk's (and JerryZ's) ego. Good luck with the EV future - I'm just glad I lived in the ICE age and will remain a happy dinasaur. After 71 years on this planet I know what I like.

Cheers

Jana and bberg009 like this.
  22. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    What are you talking about? When I bought my Tesla they gave me free access to all of their Tesla Supercharger stations for life. It's really very simple.I paid them for the car, they pay the electricity bill when I use their electricity. I believe I answered all of your questions. Feel free to explain what I didn't answer.

23. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I've actually answered every question with facts. I think many here just aren't ready for change and don't like my facts. That's up to you. Please ask what I haven't already answered.

24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  25. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Nope, .... market cap does not show "current value of the company as a whole". It is simply a multiplication of the last share trade with all outstanding shares. Not what people paid, nor what the shareholders are willing to pay. When I worked on Wall Street (actually Church Street, next door), we called it the "greater fool theory". It has nothing to do with entrinsic company value, just the "last fool's" purchase price.

So, not a real measure of company value (so not " a very important number"). The company value is, like RossoNero said, the Net Present discounted Value, NPV of all future real, and anticipated cash flows... in that aspect Tessa's valuation works better under the "greater fool theory" that actual financial analysis or entrinsic company value...

carguyjohn350 likes this.