Speciale Rental??? | FerrariChat

Speciale Rental???

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by twist-a-grip, Nov 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm too big of a sissy to take my Speciale to the track, so I was wondering if anyone knows where I could rent a Speciale for a track day in the US? Did a 5 minute google search and found a few places with 458/488s, but no Speciales. I have a dedicated track car, so I know what happens on the track and I don't want to subject my pristine car to that environment.

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I don't know of any places that rent Speciales. I am an instructor and my CS has been to the track and it hasn't melted, blown up or been damaged. You've bought an amazing, track focused car. Take it where it belongs. Unless you routinely stuff cars, it will be just fine and I bet you will be smiling.

3. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Certainly not worried about the car's mechanicals at the track. My track car has a scuffed up front splitter and rear diffuser from g-outs around certain tracks, my windshield is horribly pitted and has 4 large rock chips, and my wheels have numerous rock chips - thank god I protected the entire car's paint. All easily replaced for a few grand, but not so much for a Speciale.

Mainly, I know I wouldn't be nearly aggressive in my Speciale, but someone's Speciale is another story. Every drive in the Speciale gives me more confidence, but I know a day or two on the track will give me a much better feel for the car and its limits. I suppose an Italia wouldn't be materially different, so if I can't find a Speciale next year, I'll just do that.

4. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'll take it out for you :)

Jrdude5 likes this.
  5. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    fc2 likes this.
  6. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Great pics ferrame!

Not gonna argue with that - that's why I want to rent one!! Your profile says you have 5 Ferraris and sold 5 Ferraris. This is my first and only Ferrari (so far) - I bought it in July with 700 miles and not one flaw, so I'm trying to keep it all nice and pretty. I spent nearly 2 years trying to find the right car and it doesn't make sense to me to beat the crap out of it on the track when I have a faster car for that purpose, so I'm hoping I can find a place that rents one.

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    How about renting a track instead of a speciale? Then you can drive your car and not worry about other cars, rock chips, rubber, etc. Probably same cost as rent car If split $ with few friends. And even if you find speciale to rent, for sure you will have someone in passenger seat who will not permit really hard driving.

8. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    I’ve never rented a car for the track before and didn’t know you have to drive with an instructor even if you can prove you have proper experience. If that’s the case and they don’t allow an experienced driver to push it, then I’ll pass - waste of my time. Thanks for the info.

9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Im just assuming they would insist on instructor given value of car. Can definitely rent spec miata, 3 series bmw, etc as race car and go at it but speciale is more like the vegas experience where you drive w instructor for few laps. You'd be better off renting a track for your car

10. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    That was exactly what I had done at the track. The dealer had arranged a track date for their clients to explore and experiment the high speed driving based on an individual client driving skill and with your own car you can drive as fast as you feel comfortable at.