500 Testarossa 0636MDTR | Page 3 | FerrariChat

500 Testarossa 0636MDTR

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 500tr, Jul 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    And Mbzgirl to flame everyone. Now that would be hilarious

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    May the Show begin.........

3. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    No, we most certainly do not. The world has enough problems as it is. Gluttons for punishment, the lot of you.

4. bs76

bs76 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    Björn Schlichting
    #54 bs76, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As a Ferrari fan I’m very happy to see 0636 MDTR surface again.
    This was one of the first Ferraris I saw in person at the Oldtimer Grand Prix 1995 (see pic Bert I was there too ;-)).

And as a lawyer I can say: The truth is what you can proof (with contracts or persons).
    Unfortunately, if big money is involved, there are more than 2 stories about the case.
    But if a insurance company is involved in the case I bet that very clear contracts exits, who bought what and who sold what (which is often not the cause if only private parties are involved, like the Cleve / Swaters case).
    Hope that this “discussion” will be cleared very fast and to see the car very soon at an event.
    Best wishes,
    BjörnS
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Michael Stehle likes this.
  5. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Awww. Party pooper.

6. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    LOL

7. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    That's correct, and one day Schaefer and Spielmann will sit side by side in this beautiful car driving towards Passo Della Futa 😎

8. Michael Stehle

Jun 6, 2013
    Überlingen, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael Stehe
    ...therefor you first have to steal the car!

9. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Did after the theft the insurer pay loss damage to Walter Schäfer? If yes, why did not get property of car and title transferred to the insurer? And after: why should the insurer not be able to sell car and title? And as always: not lawyers, experts or profit is the issue here but history. May we kindly learn, how, where and in what state this important car got found and brought after to Germany and who the owner is today?

10. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    For those interested, there is a small movie on my Instagram (fer340am) from 1995.

11. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Wait, I didn't think you could own a Testarossa in Germany!

12. IXLR84FUN

IXLR84FUN Rookie

Apr 10, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ralph Conner
    Something smells in these post, it’s fairly clear. Herr S and Herr VS are going to fast into the frying pan. That fire fanning ‘’ owner will be smiling’’ sounds a little too familiar…….. It looks like someone is testing the water to see if it’s safe to come out of hiding.

In many, many cases, the insurance company does not hold the ''rights'' on a pay out but often, as they did with me, granted all my recovery rights if I can locate my own stolen art-work (officially) . Simply put, the future value is not liquidated on property stolen and paid out the day of the theft. In fact, as our countryman Kleve did on the 375 plus he sold to Swaters, make it complicated and sprinkle in some crazy, hire a lawyer with no license and you are on the road to the Passo Della Futa.

Fast forward on post 2345 – the guy causing the most stink wins. It’s never about the law, ask any Ohio Ferrari Lawyer.

13. flxzcat

flxzcat Karting

Sep 16, 2008
    lake forest, ca.
    Full Name:
    paul van der linden
    #63 flxzcat, Aug 10, 2017
  14. ws848

ws848 Rookie

Nov 20, 2007
    Hainburg (Germany)
    Full Name:
    Walter Schäfer
    Hi everyone,

now I'm also informed, that my ex-car is back!
    It's incredible what is all possible and it hurts to read the posts.

To answer and correct some posts:

The AXA insurance has never paid € 500.000. The car was insured for € 352.000 and that is, was the AXA has paid (+ interest).

The AXA insurance was informed about the found parts in 1997. But AXA was not interested on them. AXA has allways written, that the car is'nt stolen. Therefore I have sold them 10 years later to Volkmar Spielmann.

Ralph Stefano has crashed the car and the engine in 1966. He has installed the 12 cylinder engine 1893/GT in 1967, but the hood was to low. Therefore he cut out the lower hood and increased them. I remember me exactly, because in winter 1995/96 I have restored the car and made a new hood that looks a little bit nicer.
    At the same time, I have closed the 2 air slots top of the body.

Best regards

Walter Schäfer

15. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Thank you Walter for your statement and for sorting out some important details.
    So I seem to be not a thief, maybe...

16. ws848

ws848 Rookie

Nov 20, 2007
    Hainburg (Germany)
    Full Name:
    Walter Schäfer
    #66 ws848, Aug 16, 2017
    The first picture shows 0636/MDTR at WM Vaca Valley 1958-10-05.
    The second picture shows the car 1995 as I have bought from Traber.
    The third picture shows the car 1996 after the restoration.

I still own the hood from second picture (made by Ralp Stefano, AL/USA).

Best regards

Walter Schäfer

17. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    #67 500tr, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    I suppose Ralph Stefano used the original hood and just modified it for the different engine.
    So you might have the original hood. That's not that bad. Take care of it.
    And your replacement is still with the car, as everybody can see.

18. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    #68 500tr, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Due to his statements today at German law court 'Landgericht Konstanz', this gentleman sold the beautiful car only a few days after getting possession of it, on July 24, to a unkwown person it's name and the conditions of sale he is definitely not willing to let us all know although the court asked him twice. In German language: "Ein Schelm, der Böses dabei denkt".

19. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Just to answer a question of a Honorary:
    On November 15, the German civil court 'Oberlandesgericht Karlsruhe' has ruled that Walter Schaefer did not loose his property to the insurance company, as the relevant terms and conditions are not valid in this particular case. It was further determined by the court that Mr. Stehle was not in good faith when he bought 0636MDTR in Italy, as he was well aware of the theft in 1997. So he could not have acquired property under any of the aspects he had claimed.

20. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Two pictures of the original hood which I took four Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login weeks ago.

21. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  22. flxzcat

flxzcat Karting

Sep 16, 2008
    lake forest, ca.
    Full Name:
    paul van der linden
    So actually three different hoods.

The two with twin intake scoops are very detailed in shape. A lot of extra work to fabricate compared to the one with a larger and more typical bubble shape. They almost appear to be molded fiberglass especially indicated by the flange around each intake opening. Could they possibly be an early experiment? Is there any information on there construction?

Cheers, Paul Van Der Linden

23. ws848

ws848 Rookie

Nov 20, 2007
    Hainburg (Germany)
    Full Name:
    Walter Schäfer
    The 2 intake hood is made by me (1996) from alloy (not fiberglass!), because it's a little bit more original.
    The bubble intake hood is made in the 60's, also from alloy.

Regards, Walter Schäfer

24. flxzcat

flxzcat Karting

Sep 16, 2008
    lake forest, ca.
    Full Name:
    paul van der linden
    Funny that the original 1st hood shown in the B+W photo is gone. It appears to be the one part at the front of the car that survived the crash undamaged.

Paul VDL

25. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Actually two different hoods:

The original one from 1956, just modified in the sixtees by Ralph Stefano as the V12 engine was installed.
    The air intake was cut out and replaced by a larger one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login .

The second hood, made by Walter Schäfer in 1996 which imitates the original air intake.

(Copyright Bert de Boer)

This picture shows the car as it was displayed in Modena two or three days before it was stolen.
    This hood is already with the car as the pictures of this gentleman clearly show.

Schäfer has stored the original hood for more than 20 years.