360 tappets | FerrariChat

360 tappets

Discussion in '360/430' started by link410, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. link410

link410 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    Hi, my 2002 360 Modena is having problems on cylinder 2 where it fluctuates between good compression and low compression. My mechanic thinks it could be the tappet. Of course, Ferrari doesn't make them anymore. I found old thread from 2012 asking for same advice, but no good help. Wondering if anybody has good suggestion on where I can get use or after market part.

2. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    360 use hydraulic cam followers.
    Rebuilding them is fairly easy - unless there is damage.

3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My 360 Spider was making tappets noise when I first got her. The PO had the car sitting in the cold NY weather for too long. I put some Marvel Mystery oil in her and drove it a few hundred miles before an oil change. The noise went away.

whatheheck likes this.
  4. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    The only problem i think, given your description, is that the HCF, won't affect if the valve is closed when the cam lobe is off it.
    That's all to do with the valve spring and if the valve seat is ok/clean so the valve can seal.

You could rotate the engine around to where Cyl-2 should have all valves closed and then do a leak down test.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If you want original Ferrari Valve Lifters/Tappets, you're SOL. It were me I'd use the above and determine via a leakdown if its the exhaust or intake valves. Then depending on which side of the cylinder, have your mechanic remove the timing belt, remove the camshaft and then rebuild the intake/exhaust lifter on that cylinder. If you do a search here it's not that hard. Need an ultrasonic bath/cleaner.

I secretly have a fantasy of using german VW 28.4mm lifters to rebuild my top end for like $200 but I haven't confirmed the specs...

Edit: Looks like Superformance might be able to help you out...

6. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I agree lifter as the cause sounds peculiar.

Let’s be realistic can’t imagine more than one lifter being defective.

This is a 5 valve/cylinder engine. Maybe I’m wrong
    but At cranking speed I can’t see how 1 of 3 intake, or 1 of 2 exhaust valves not opening fully would lower compression.

Valve guide I could see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    My shop rebuilt the hydraulic lifters, new ones were not available.

8. link410

link410 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    Thanks to all for their comments. All this research is confirming that SOL if one is looking for new tappets. I'll just tell the shop to look for use or rebuild.

9. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I hope I don’t have that problem, I understand what you guys are talking about about as much as if it were in Russian. :(

billy.gif likes this.